Author Topic: GM closing Oshawa truck plant  (Read 68675 times)

barrie1

Re: GM closing Oshawa truck plant
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:40 am »
Its funny how just a month ago it was proven on here that GM Canada had a cost advantage of slightly over $5.00 per hour versus the worker in the US. UNtil just recently it was more then $15.00 per hour but due to the rising dollar the no.s have changed. They have too many plants producing p/u trucks at the moment even tho Canada does build the best quality builds of them. Buzz has done nothing wrong at all but some folks are just jealous as he has made other folks good money in the trades but they don't earn the same amounts at all.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:51 am »
^^^^You have that backwards my friend.  A month ago it was proven that Canada is $5 MORE per hour than in the US to build cars.  That was according to the CAWs economist.  And that was before the new contract in the US and before the continue rising dollar.  So it's much worse now. And once the healthcare costs are completely unloaded....things won't be rosy for our autoworkers....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

JBrill

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2008, 08:22:39 am »
Ottawa wants to help GM build new car in Oshawa

Ok, I didn't count on the Feds to step up (Ford in Windsor being the precedent) but I'm sure GM knows Ontario is desperate to keep jobs and more money/concessions will come their way by playing the "I'm moving the plant" card.  Expecting the CAW announcement in the next 7-10 days.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:53 am »
"willing to use the government's $250-million Automotive Innovation Fund...to help start production of a third car at the plant"

Thats putting out fire with gas. "innovative" means featuring new methods and original ideas. There is nothing new or original in making a GM car to substitute some truck production. When gas reaches over 2 bucks that car will need to go as well. So its a big tax money waste.
What would be innovative is say getting a contract with Th!nk (no pun intended) to make the car in Oshawa and investing the rest into building a new battery plant together with A123 or whoever else GM finds worthy in that field.
..but they will do as always, having along the road Zenn survive on their own, being not allowed to even sell the EVs here.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:14 am »
Use the incentives to entice some company wanting to build cars here. Won't that be better with future in mind?

GM is doing what it needs to do to survive, the high volumes aren't there, they're scaling back production.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 09:43:17 am »
The govs were trying to get VW to build here and they did not succeed. I wonder if a ready made factory and available workforce would make it worth trying again.

My preference would be having  Citroen/Peugeot  or Renault(with Nissan)  come back into our NA market and start building cars here..... or even Fiat. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 09:49:38 am »
The govs were trying to get VW to build here and they did not succeed. I wonder if a ready made factory and available workforce would make it worth trying again.

My preference would be having  Citroen/Peugeot  or Renault(with Nissan)  come back into our NA market and start building cars here..... or even Fiat

There were some murmurs about Fiat and the ontario premier flew to Italy to meet Fiat officials.

Fiat 500 and the luscious Alfa Romeo should be built here.  :lick:

Our workforce is the only one entrusted to build Lexus vehicles outside of Japan. GM's highest quality production is here.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 12:48:41 pm »
Buzzzzzzzz was just on the radio doing an interview with a local talk show host. He didn't seem to comprehend that it was GM 's plant and they can do as they choose. He kept saying "no compromise" and that they will "force" GM to keep the plant open. ??? 

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »
Use the incentives to entice some company wanting to build cars here. Won't that be better with future in mind?

GM is doing what it needs to do to survive, the high volumes aren't there, they're scaling back production.

I couldn't have said it better myself.   :iagree:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
Buzzzzzzzz was just on the radio doing an interview with a local talk show host. He didn't seem to comprehend that it was GM 's plant and they can do as they choose. He kept saying "no compromise" and that they will "force" GM to keep the plant open. ??? 

Chain themselves on the floor, preventing the doors to close?

ghost

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2008, 02:04:53 pm »

I couldn't have said it better myself.   :iagree:

Bring in TATA!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »
Is it the wage levels and pension incentives here that is causing the trouble. If it is how do remunerations compare here and in Mexico. Surely it takes a long time to transfer production to another company let alone another country, which must mean that this move has been in the cards for years.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2008, 02:12:01 pm »
Is it the wage levels and pension incentives here that is causing the trouble. If it is how do remunerations compare here and in Mexico. Surely it takes a long time to transfer production to another company let alone another country, which must mean that this move has been in the cards for years.

No it isn't a transfer of production. Its a change in the type of vehicles produced that nets out to being a country move.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
why does everyone get their TRANNYs inna twist when  a BIG RICH company hits a BRICK WALL..........didn't we all hear that MOST new Jobbies come from small companies...NOBODY (sorry Mel adjusted Mayor shrimp!!!)....cares about the engine of commerce ...then ?????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2008, 02:20:32 pm »
I was watching the local news last night, and a reporter interviewed some GM employees at the headquarters blockade.  One employee interviewed has been there 20 years and makes $32/hour.  He only has a Grade 12 level education.  This guy will be screwed when looking for another job.  There's no way he'll get a non-union/non-Big 3 job that will pay anywhere near that amount.

I've been working for 8 years and have a college education.  I do not make as much as this dude.  :o

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
..Do I have an Yob fer U.......only wan emission control to captain Tom per diem...did ya go to HARD_YARD?/....call us............an are ya prepared ta BUZZ it OFF.... :o

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
How much does a Mexican worker earn doing this job. If the difference is $24/hr. then the payroll drops by almost $100,000,000 per year for 2000 employees. Maybe there is more to it.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2008, 02:48:32 pm »
Considering the various things that were said in Ontario over the years about Maritimers, and the Newfoundland Cod Fishery, then I guess all I can say is, you lazy GM workers have to get over your culture of entitlement, get out of these cyclical businesses, and move to where the jobs are.  The rest of the country shouldn't have to subsidize you just because you donn't want to change when the world economy changes.

There's work in Alberta, get out on the road.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
..Alberta !!!   COD awful weffer!!!!!...aye casted a beaut....an it woz nowhere near a smackerall......buts i hauled inna nice pair O' knickers off tha neighbours....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:19:57 pm by safristi »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2008, 03:19:41 pm »
Considering the various things that were said in Ontario over the years about Maritimers, and the Newfoundland Cod Fishery, then I guess all I can say is, you lazy GM workers have to get over your culture of entitlement, get out of these cyclical businesses, and move to where the jobs are.  The rest of the country shouldn't have to subsidize you just because you donn't want to change when the world economy changes.

There's work in Alberta, get out on the road.

I do not think you heard people from Ontario bad mouth the people from the Maritimers ( I think there probably more Newfoundlander's in the GTA then St John's)
I have work will a lot of hard working Maritimers.