Author Topic: GM closing Oshawa truck plant  (Read 68617 times)

barrie1

Re: GM closing Oshawa truck plant
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:03 am »
Piannoman8849 Welcome to the Forum, The lists can be quite long at the majority of our Hospitals depending which type of electic surjury you require done. I am over a year right now waiting for a hip transplant but it now will be done this coming Friday the 20th for sure. I think Hybirds are build a little quicker then this.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:47 am »
..I had electic surjury...and i turned out fine......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2008, 09:36:26 pm »
..I had electic surjury...and i turned out fine......

:o :o :o :o :o :o

;D
 :D
 :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:31 am »
An interesting article not in favor of the union and its tactics.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/francis/archive/2008/06/16/175118.aspx

barrie1

« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:21 am »
Another pile of nonsence from a writer who definitely has NO clue at all.  :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:35 am »
We know Barrie...the only one's who have a clue are the one's who work for the CAW.  I mean..look at the great job they've done keeping plants open in Canada.... ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2008, 08:10:20 am »
CAW, CAW!  Would you like fries with that?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2008, 05:25:14 pm »
....BUZZ OFF..... ;)...i had no birdies taday.....just BOGEY_MENS :'(

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2008, 08:54:30 pm »
If CAW is so effective at producing a quality vehicle at a competative price why are companies closing CAW plants in such a high number. Certainly the big 3 are not in the kind of financial shape where they can close plants that are more productive and cost effective than other plants simply to prove a point or becuase of some vendetta against the CAW can they?

The CAW is supposed to "protect" their workers. I would think that having a job would be the priority to protect but apparently its not. Supposedly CAW represents strength in numbers but how much strenght do 1000s of jobless union members have? If you don;t have a job what effect does "striking" have?

I think its time to look at the big picture here folks. If GM was building the best cars at the best price then they would be sucessful. They have been losing money so they pobviously have not (in the past) been building best cars for best price. So they need to change and build better more conmpettive and desirebale cars.

If the CAW was providing the "best" build quality/cost ratio available then companies would want to build cars in those plants. Obviously they are not doing that. If they were those plants would not be closing. So why does for example GM need to change and do better but CAW need do nothing better to compete but simply wants to keep the jobs "because"?  Regardless of union bashing or big 3 bashing lets look at reality. Those plants are closing for a reason. If the CAW isn't willing to understand and counteract those reasons what's the point?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:29 am »
The statements of Toolate make sense to me. It's no good having quality if the price is not right for both customer and company. Add to this a suddenly un-wanted product type and the stage is set for withdrawal. Government initiatives use tax dollars of unassociated payers who have no way of striking for more wages and benefits. The picture in this respect is out of whack.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
And now I see that Magna is laying off 400 in St Thomas, where they make the frames for GM.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
..UNIONS..sacrifice...members ALL the TIME...they are as expedient as EXXON.....or a strip KLUB OWNER...take it from a family experience....... :bang:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2008, 02:15:40 pm »
Careful, you never know when the axle fall.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2008, 07:06:04 pm »

If I recall the statistics, 35% or so of Canadian Tire's stuff comes from China, and they're planning to increase that to well over 50% as well.

Why do people moan about this sort of thing (not accusing you tp).  This is consumer driven, you demand lower prices, which drives lower production costs. They only way to change it is to support your local shops/farms/car plants/whatever, and suck up the additional cost.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...