Author Topic: New EURO VW Golf to get smaller base engine  (Read 5115 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
New EURO VW Golf to get smaller base engine
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:43:47 am »
Powerplants sure are heading south  :P

Felix E. Bauer
Automotive News Europe
June 2, 2008 12:00 CET

WOLFSBURG -- The new Volkswagen Golf will get a new, smaller base engine after its debut in October.

Besides the familiar 1.4-liter TSI engine, the latest Golf also will offer either a 1.0- or 1.2-liter engine rated at 75 horsepower.

The final displacement depends on whether VW opts for three or four cylinders, Wolfgang Steiger, VW's manager for powertrain research, told Automobilwoche.

The new engine will not reach the market until next year at the earliest, he said.

The new Golf's option list will include features from larger VW models. They include automatic vehicle-interval control from the Phaeton and Touareg and parking assistance from the Touran and Tiguan.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: New EURO VW Golf to get smaller base engine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:05:52 am »
The Europeans have always had more tolerance for small engines. The old Fiesta I drove there on the autobahn had a 1 liter engine that made all of 40 hp.

It got us around, up to 160 km/hr on a downhill (or a very long flat). Probably more power to weight than the B2000 I run now.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:04:38 am »
The Europeans have always had more tolerance for small engines.

I agree.

I used to drive a 1.6 litre (93 bhp) Nissan Primera and it had more than enough power. In the UK a 2.0 litre was seen as sufficient for a family hauler. If you had a 2.5 then you had made it in life.....

When I moved here, I was shocked to see 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.7 powerplants in the most mediocre of vehicles.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:41 pm »
"SHOCKED" not "AWED". ::) :P.........must be all those stories on CNN about $4 a gallon GAS.....................seeing as GOLFING is Americas Fave pastime......FORE   DOLLAHS.....ha ha ha.....watchout......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:03 pm »
Aren't some Europeans taxed on the size of the engine?

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:35 am »

Cars in Hong Kong are.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:55:29 pm »
..I have a HUMUNGOUS MOTOR...and pay taxes in Leichteinstein ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:14:08 pm »
IIRC the French were taxed on some magical "fiscal horsepower" until recently which had a quantum mechanical relationship to engine size.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 04:28:42 pm »
...ice wunder if that chick really really DIGS my mechaniks..or if'n she's HOT fer my Gams.......I'm relatively hot ta trott right now.....cor look at the Protons protruding from that wet tee.....HOW Darwin came Up wif EVO  and STi lution....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:30:14 pm by safristi »

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:27 am »
Wait a moment here, does the "all new Golf" mean MKVI?
If VW puts the Scirocco front on the new generation Golf/Rabbit/Jetta, plus the smaller engine choices, I would imagine a strong sales increase.

turbodiesel

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:24:32 am »

Cars in Hong Kong are.

I would say it is the most STUPID idea of all cuz right now the trend is engine size is upsizing to, say, 1.8, 2.0, 3.6, and so on. And guess what, the cut-off point is some thousand and 500cc! You will be in totally stupid position if you buy a Volvo S40/V50 T5 with 2,521cc. Scrap that tax thingy.

Cortina

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:38:38 am »

Cars in Hong Kong are.

Cars in UK are taxed that way. but I think it more to do efficient than size.  :)

loser40

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »
RE - UK car Taxes

All cars bought in the UK have Value Added Tax (V.A.T) [ Sales Tax ] @ 17.5% added to the total purchase price, along with a Vehicle Registration Fee.

Cars in the UK provided by an employer ( IE a company car ) are taxed on their CO2 emissions as well as the VAT... the higher the emissions, the higher the extra Company Car Tax ( as well as still having to pay standard Income Tax & National Insurance health care taxes ) will be taken from your monthly salary.

All cars also have to pay Annual Road Fund Licence (Road Tax) which is a legal requirement to be allowed to drive on public roads ( I currently pay £140 [ $280 CAN ] per year ) .  Cars built after 2001 pay more Road Tax.  Cars that produce more CO2's also pay more Road Tax ( up to £950 [ $1900 CAN ] per year from 2010 ) .

For a list of different Road Tax bands look here - http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/car-tax.html

Some UK cities, London for example, also charge a daily tax to drive in the city centre, it's called The Congestion Charge, and in London costs £8 (£16 CAN) every day except weekends.  If you drive a super efficient low CO2 emission car you are exempt from paying it.  Incidentally, the old London Mayor, Ken Livingstone, was attempting to increase this to £25 ($50 CAN) a day for high CO2 cars !!!

Every time we buy gas we pay even more tax, called Fuel Tax, and we also pay VAT (sales tax) on the Fuel Tax - WTF !!!!.  Depending on how you do the math, an incredible 81.5% to 117% ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax ) of the gas price per litre of fuel is Tax.  So, when I fill-up my car with say £50 ( $100 CAN ) of gas, AT LEAST £40.75 ( $81.50 CAN ) goes directly to the government as Fuel Tax & VAT ( Sales Tax ) .

...And North America thinks it's got it bad with current gas prices and taxes, wait till your guys governments taxes catch up with the UK & Europe.

M.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:25:14 pm by loser40 »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:59:31 pm »
...No wunner old BOBSKI is fleeing tha old fleecing Sod awful place..... :-\.....now i understand yer Nom De Shame........... :'( ;)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
Loser40   It does seem to have got worse in the UK.   But it always was very highly taxed even when we left in the 70's but all this crap about taxing carbon emissions and the good old tax disk costing upto 950gbp and what is essentially retroactive taxation of older cars .  if you stopped voting Labour you might stand a chance. 

But back to the topic.  100 bhp/tonne unladen is plenty of power for a basic family car like a Golf and if that can be done with 1.0 to 1.4 litres of gas or diesel then engine thats fine.  Making the car lighter is the best way.

vdk

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:08:53 pm »

Cars in Hong Kong are.

Cars in UK are taxed that way. but I think it more to do efficient than size.  :)

It's the same thing in the EU.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 12:42:47 am »
Wait a moment here, does the "all new Golf" mean MKVI?
If VW puts the Scirocco front on the new generation Golf/Rabbit/Jetta, plus the smaller engine choices, I would imagine a strong sales increase.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/03/volkwagen-golf-vi-unveiled-a-bit-early/

close enough?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:01:13 am »
 ::) the EeUWwww!!! land of Rule by "Fiat ;)"...and $5 coffee.....Count Dracula me out from tha blood_suckers..........they are imploding and don't know it.... :'(

loser40

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:05:07 am »
The new Golf Mk 6 is a sexy-'ish car... I like the front and overall styling, but the rear light clusters don't work for me - way to prominent.

M.

kenobe23

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »
The new Golf Mk 6 is a sexy-'ish car... I like the front and overall styling, but the rear light clusters don't work for me - way to prominent.

M.

Those are Touareg lights, aren't they?

Those pictures don't give a good idea of the car's proportions. It could be really hot or really clumsy looking, but right now I can't tell.