Author Topic: Toyota managing to match Ford's quality.  (Read 12039 times)

SkiBunny

Re: Toyota managing to match Ford's quality.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 01:09:23 pm »
After reading the Camry owners' comments, the results of the Strategic Vision surveys will make a lot more sense.
Wow many new Camrys suck.  But we don't know whether those comments are posted by genuine Camry owners.  But I know that my father's new camry sucked.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 01:13:20 pm »
And Steve, here's your pic. Looks like a few of the trucks were moved yesterday though.

Not exact location, but where is that lot?  What state?  One thing for sure there is going to be great deals on used Taco engines, transmission, etc., relating to those years.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 01:14:29 pm »
 But I know that my father's new camry sucked. 

:ttiwwp:

Leviathan

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 02:23:17 pm »
Toyota service departments are busy with regular service maintenance work, tune ups, brake work  and fixing recalls.
There, fixed it for you :) This recent recall seemed to pass quietly around here. Of course there is no need to fix the Tacomas since Toyota is taking them off the road....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 02:30:53 pm »
And Steve, here's your pic. Looks like a few of the trucks were moved yesterday though.

Not exact location, but where is that lot?  What state?  One thing for sure there is going to be great deals on used Taco engines, transmission, etc., relating to those years.

Funny man. Clark Toyota in Fredericton. Shot from the kitchen window of our office area, I figured you'd ask for a picture.

Corner of Kimble and Alison if you want to Google Earth it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 02:42:23 pm »
Forums? When was the last time you heard any forum resident be critical of the car they own?

Remember when I owned the Legacy?   :rofl2:

In all seriousness, car-specific forums (like VWVortex) are great for diagnosing and fixing problems.  Neither car-specific forums nor general car forums are any good at giving you an idea of what car is "the most reliable" or "the best."

EDIT:  Did I mention that, according to Strategic Vision, the Jetta WON?!  WAZZUP, FOOS!!!  Suckas...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:46:04 pm by Mitlov »

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »
Gone are the days when FORD stood for Found On Road Dead :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 04:02:05 pm »
Gone are the days when FORD stood for Found On Road Dead :rofl2:

Finally On Right Direction?

Wolfe

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 04:03:58 pm »
First and foremost it is marketing for Strategic Vision. Both Ford and Toyota are clients of theirs as are many other car companies. http://www.strategicvision.com/clients.php

That might have some merit if, say, Ford was their only client. But it looks like almost every manufacturer is their client. This would indicate that almost every manufacturer values their work.

::) I wasn't trying insinuate that Strategic Vision is pimping for Ford and/or Toyota. I mentioned their many other automotive clients for exactly that reason.

My point is that Strategic Vision is putting out this survey to promote their own consulting business.

I just don't think this survey is meaningful period. There's just way too much emphasis on emotional reactions and opinion for it to be indicative of the merits of the cars themselves.

To dismiss emotion and opinion in the car purchase/ownership equation is to dismiss a huge part of reality. Virtually everything written on this web site involves emotional reactions and opinions. Should it just be dismissed out of hand as well? Obviously there is more to car ownership than its "merits."

I'm not dismissing emotion and opinion completely, but I'm fully capable of forming my own opinions. I don't need a survey from a marketing company to tell me what the herd thinks.

To pass off a survey of recent purchasers' feelings about their cars as a measure of "Total Quality" is absolutely ridiculous. It should be called the Strategic Vision "Total Warm and Fuzzy Thinking Feeling Index."

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 04:39:18 pm »
First and foremost it is marketing for Strategic Vision. Both Ford and Toyota are clients of theirs as are many other car companies. http://www.strategicvision.com/clients.php

That might have some merit if, say, Ford was their only client. But it looks like almost every manufacturer is their client. This would indicate that almost every manufacturer values their work.

::) I wasn't trying insinuate that Strategic Vision is pimping for Ford and/or Toyota. I mentioned their many other automotive clients for exactly that reason.

My point is that Strategic Vision is putting out this survey to promote their own consulting business.

I just don't think this survey is meaningful period. There's just way too much emphasis on emotional reactions and opinion for it to be indicative of the merits of the cars themselves.

To dismiss emotion and opinion in the car purchase/ownership equation is to dismiss a huge part of reality. Virtually everything written on this web site involves emotional reactions and opinions. Should it just be dismissed out of hand as well? Obviously there is more to car ownership than its "merits."

I'm not dismissing emotion and opinion completely, but I'm fully capable of forming my own opinions. I don't need a survey from a marketing company to tell me what the herd thinks.

To pass off a survey of recent purchasers' feelings about their cars as a measure of "Total Quality" is absolutely ridiculous. It should be called the Strategic Vision "Total Warm and Fuzzy Thinking Feeling Index."

Agreed. The fanboys can keep this thread. Maybe it'll keep 'em busy for a while... ;D
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 04:43:08 pm »

That's funny. Sort of like when Honda puts out a car to promote their auto manufacturing business. The nerve!
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 04:50:27 pm »
Aren't most of these type of surveys taken in the first few months of ownership? I think how people feel about their cars (and the number of repairs they have had) after 2/3/4 years is a far better indicator of quality.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
Aren't most of these type of surveys taken in the first few months of ownership? I think how people feel about their cars (and the number of repairs they have had) after 2/3/4 years is a far better indicator of quality.

:iagree:

When my wife bought her 06 G6 brand new she was in love with it and thought it was the bestest car ever.  However, after 2 years of owner ship and contless trips to the dealership for warranty items she absolutley hates it and can't wait to get rid of it.  She had a Cavalier before and it was also a lemon, so now she's sworn never to buy GM again.

If she had been surveyed at the beginning she would have given the G6 a glowing review.  If she was to be surveyed now the results would not be so pretty.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 05:02:46 pm »
4.5 years, 147,000 on my truck (GMC) , I would buy another one, but probably SLT instead of of SLE

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 05:15:54 pm »
Or, every manufacturer doesn't want to be excluded from the results because -like J.D. Power- these results makes great marketing claims.

Yes, I'm sure Toyota will be very excited to use these results to market their Camry and Corolla ("almost up to par with the Focus"  :D)

I trust forums, Lemonaide Guide, and Consumer Reports more because typically these are based on "real world" anecdotal experience.

Forums? When was the last time you heard any forum resident be critical of the car they own? It happens but its very rare. Didn't you ever notice that whenever someone asks, "What car should I buy?" that the answers almost always match the vehicle owned by the respondent? You should visit Edmunds and view their database of owner comments. After reading the Camry owners' comments, the results of the Strategic Vision surveys will make a lot more sense.

Actually, I see a bit of both on here (as well as the Hyundai, Kia, and other forums I hit. When people ask about Civics I say what I like and don't like about ours. I see both good and bad comments on these forums about almost any marque I am interested in. Of course there is always Barrie defending GM and Artic going to bat for Toyota. I can see past this though and get enough anecdotal evidence to get an idea how certain models are doing.

SkiBunny

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:48 pm »
But I know that my father's new camry sucked. 

:ttiwwp:
No picture available because the new camry was towed away after a year never to return, much like a lemon gets squeezed and tossed into the trash.  It was his first, last and only toyota.  As bad as the camry was, he owned two successive Ford Thunderbirds when I was a child that were even worse.  Being a surgeon, he could quickly change cars whenever he got a lemon and write it off in his business, instead of having to hang onto a bad car like most of us must.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:07 pm »
 :shuffle:

Wolfe

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:29 am »

That's funny. Sort of like when Honda puts out a car to promote their auto manufacturing business. The nerve!

Your post might make sense if you had said "Sort of like when Honda puts out a television commercial to promote their auto manufacturing business."

When Honda builds and sells a car that is the product for which they are paid. When Strategic Vision published this survey it was at their own expense in order to draw attention to the marketing consulting they do for private clients. This published survey is not the same thing as their normal consulting products.

If Strategic Vision had indeed been paid to publish this survey by one of their clients (let's say Ford) it would be a Ford advertisement pure and simple.

But I though that you were trying to spin this survey as being legitimate evidence for the quality of Ford's cars.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 06:19:01 am »
People you should all know that you cannot come here and pick on Toyota's.  It's a sin, a crime, unacceptable.  Any thread which contains any amount of negativity against Toyota should automatically be deleted, Wing can you muster up some code that can do this for AS benefit?  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:25 am »
Interesting study.  Consumer reports is still pretty much the only one that makes a serious attempt to track car reliability based on number of actual faults and apply a weighting to them based on seriousness of defect.

In their work, CR has found the V6 Camry to be worse than average reliability.  The four cylinder and hybrid are much better.

The best thing for consumers is the steepness of the curve now.  Since average reliability is so good now, it's very tough to be far out ahead.  The data is clustered tightly around the mean, and the mean is better than ever.

The Big Three won't stop the downward slide of their market share until they change their reputation for poor quality, but even more importantly, fill their showrooms with appealing models arranged in a well-thought-out line up that appeals to the "traditional" Honda/Toyota buyer.