Author Topic: Ottawa is #1 again  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
Ottawa is #1 again
« on: May 30, 2008, 02:13:09 pm »
http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2008/article.aspx?id=20080417_104435_10272&page=1&df=overview

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2008/prosperity/Default.aspx?sp2=1&d1=a&sc1=6&sub=n1&df=bestcities

Canada's best places to live
Phil Froats and Ian McGugan
From the May 2008 issue of MoneySense magazine

Alex Beckett grew up in Saint John, N.B., and in his early 20s left the East Coast to attend graduate school in Toronto. He liked the hubbub of the big city and, after graduation, he built a thriving career as a web master and editor. He and his wife Jo, a Halifax girl, bought a house in an up-and-coming Toronto neighborhood and settled down to raise a family. But after their second daughter was born, the Becketts began to experience the oddest sensation — a distinct yearning to return to their Maritime roots. Alex knew that work in his field would not be as easy to find as in Toronto, but both he and Jo pined for a less hectic life and the smell of salt air.

Four years ago, the Becketts finally decided to act on their yearnings. They cashed out of a booming Toronto real estate market and moved to a dream house on the south shore of Nova Scotia, about 45 minutes down the road from Halifax. As the Becketts hoped, the move brought them closer to family. They loved the sense of space and constant presence of the ocean, not to mention the lower real estate prices and relaxed pace of life. But Atlantic Canada wasn't all bliss — among other things, the call for Internet expertise on the East Coast was even less than Alex's modest expectations had foreseen. "I don't think I ever doubted our move," he says, "but I realized that I had underestimated some of the economic differences between what I had grown used to in Toronto and what I was experiencing on the East Coast." If, like the Becketts, you've ever wondered about picking up and moving, you've probably pondered what makes a community a good place to live. Is it climate? Salaries? Real estate?

To be honest, it's probably a bit of each of those factors, plus many more. Our third annual list of Canada's Best Places to Live is designed to help you measure as many different aspects of a community as possible. You can use our findings in several ways. Perhaps you're planning to relocate. Perhaps you're looking to invest in real estate. Maybe you simply want to know how your community stacks up against its neighbors. Whatever your situation, we've got the facts you need
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Ottawa is #1 again
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
Estevan, SK. I wonder if anyone at Canadian business has ever been there. I have and it wouldn't be on my list. ::)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:21 pm »
I travelled thru Estevan twice ... know people there. Lived in Swift Current, Sk for 6 months. Oil&Gas musta been good to those two places.

Joe Sakic played JR hockey in Swift Current.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »
Estevan, SK. I wonder if anyone at Canadian business has ever been there. I have and it wouldn't be on my list. ::)

Unemployments is 0.8% which is #1 in that category so I'm sure that is why it made it to 34th.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:13:56 pm by Zombie »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:10:17 pm »
Thompson Manitoba No. 19 ???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:….clearly these people have never been to a town that requires a guard at the liquor store

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:38 pm »
...THEY...Have....a LIQUOR STORE............... :D..err STILL[/s]
Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »
London at No. 14 which is pretty good as our real estate market is  now starting to creep up and is still fairly reasonable in comparison to many other large Cities in Canada. The standard of living here is actually faily decent and its easy to get around. The only real problem we seem to have is a really dumb City Council who spends like there's NO to-morrow. WE have very good schools of both types University and College which are both highly rated. WE also have lots of decent industry here as well.  :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52:18 pm »
Port Alberni #154.   Where's AVT? 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:03:54 pm »
What a most useless article.  Brandon, Manitoba and Mississauga in the top 18.  ::)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 07:52:54 pm »
London at No. 14 which is pretty good as our real estate market is  now starting to creep up and is still fairly reasonable in comparison to many other large Cities in Canada. The standard of living here is actually faily decent and its easy to get around. The only real problem we seem to have is a really dumb City Council who spends like there's NO to-morrow. WE have very good schools of both types University and College which are both highly rated. WE also have lots of decent industry here as well.  :)

I wish there was some type of freeway that went through the central part of London.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:24 pm »
We're number 3! We're number 3! We're number 3! :banana: :cheers:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

barrie1

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:39:32 pm »
We have enough main roads going thru London then to need anymore expressways at this time I feel. Its very easy to cross already if you know your way around.  The vast majority of the major artieries here are in very good shape and the traffic does move fairly well with the light systems we have in place at the moment. There's always room for improvement but overall its fairly decent to travel in or thru.  :)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »
We're #71! Sounds terrible, but that's up from #89 in '07! We're on a roll! :rofl2:
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 12:16:28 pm »
..WHOSE #2....shitty City............in ENGLAND.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:51 pm »
My town isn't on the list!  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »
 ::) ??? :P :think: :nono:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 12:22:14 pm »
Tribe me!