Author Topic: Amazing Mill Fire Photos  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Amazing Mill Fire Photos
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:33:01 pm »
These are from the Prince George plywood plant fire of Monday.  Note that although I was in PG at the time, these are not my photos.

This one was taken about 40 minutes after the fire department arrived

This one, 20 minutes after the above

And this one, another 20 minutes after the above

This fire caused considerable collateral damage as well from flying embers.  One large warehouse and a pile of railway ties also caught on fire.  And they were about 2 kms from the mill.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Mill Fire Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »
Holly molly ... scary sight ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:48:53 pm »
"Holly Molly" went UP in smoke.!!! ::) :P...she was a P.G Fave..... ;D...she was def'n HOLEY but .........arses to ashes as they say.........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:51:10 pm »
Wow.  It reminds me of the fire that destroyed a local lumber yard about 10 years ago.  It was a cold February day, late in the afternoon. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:26 pm »
..then !!! by evening a Big Marshmallow roast wif shorts and tank tops.... ??? ??? ??? 8) :run: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:54:15 pm »
"Holly Molly" went UP in smoke.!!! ::) :P...she was a P.G Fave..... ;D...she was def'n HOLEY but .........arses to ashes as they say.........

The only forestry plan in PG that was running full shifts.  Over 350 direct workers now without jobs.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:58:32 pm »
Wow.  It reminds me of the fire that destroyed a local lumber yard about 10 years ago.  It was a cold February day, late in the afternoon. 

Which yard ???

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:38 pm »
..Geez Wood...wood chips...buzz saws... open.Heater stacks  to dry the planks...who wood a thought a FIRE............... :think:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:24:47 pm »
The former O&R Lumber in Campbellford.  It was quite the blaze.

barrie1

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:11 pm »
Flames like that remind of the Alma College Fire in St Thomas the other day. The building was 3 stories high plus the facade which had flames leeping over 100feet as well. It was over 130 years old and was to be restored in the near future. Hopefully they can rebuild this factory in quick time for the sake of the jobs involved.  :(

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 03:43:51 pm »
Unfortunately, there are lots of factors going against a re-build:

Yes, it was insured but had just been written down to its actual value, not replacement.  So as Canfor, like all BC (and Canadian forestry operations) is bleeding red ink and would have to come up with extra money, they may walk away from the insurance;

Yes, it was one of the few lumber product mills in BC making money but its prime market, the Canadian housing industry, is expected to drop in the next 12-18 months, the time it will take to re-build the mill;

And finally the wood supply, due to the beetle kill, is dropping significantly.  And plywood plants need very high quality logs to get the veiner they need.

My prediction is that unless there is a significant insurance payout predicated on a new mill, the mill will not be re-built.  If that is the case, it will be just the first of a wave of mill closures in central BC as a result of reduced timber availability and poor markets.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:33:57 am »
These are from the Prince George plywood plant fire of Monday.  Note that although I was in PG at the time, these are not my photos.

This fire caused considerable collateral damage as well from flying embers.  One large warehouse and a pile of railway ties also caught on fire.  And they were about 2 kms from the mill.

Trying to establish an alibi are you?  :rofl: :rofl:

Those are as spectacular as they are horrifying. :o  That last photo with the smoke curling in on itself like a small tornado is especially amazing.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:14 am »
Plywood burns fast.  Scary.

Speaking of amazing fire photos, these were taken in early May at the Chaiten volcano in southern Chile.  Apparently, ash ionizes the atmosphere.

...and, as a picture of where I wouldn't like to be living right now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-563975/Amazing-pictures-The-lightning-storm-engulfed-erupting-volcano.html

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 12:06:22 am »
Yup, life in PG really sucks lately.
Too bad to embers weren't blowing the other way. ;D