Author Topic: Nissan GT-R vs. The World  (Read 24092 times)

loser40

Re: Nissan GT-R vs. The World
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:06 am »
I totally agree with speed12sil - I also prefer not to get noticed.  I dunno how much it would effect handling, but if I were in the lucky position of owning a GTR I'd seriously look into removing the rear boot spoiler to make it appear even more humble.

M.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 04:56:11 pm »
Are they out in Canada yet?  They aren't arriving in the UK until next year I don't think.

Of course they are.  This isn't some 3rd world country like England for god's sake!   ;D

Hey our back roads are tarmac!  :P :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »
 ??? ::) didn't they used ta be FIELDS......... :P :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 12:02:58 am »
Saw a red GT-R in the 'wild' yesterday.  It was parked amongst the rest of the plebian cars in an appliance and furniture super store parking lot.  It's funny, despite seeing half a dozen 911s in the same afternoon, everyone of them would turn heads faster than that GT-R (as would a new Corvette even). 

While I don't for a second suggest it's anything but a super car in terms of performance cabilities, many people spending nearly $100k on a car want at least a LITTLE bit of prestige or visual status to go with their performance I'd wager.  In a parking lot of other cars, the GT-R looks no more impressive or eye-catching than a G37 or even the RX-8 when it came out.  I think the reaction from most people would be, "You spent HOW MUCH on that?!  I figured $45-50 thou, tops!"

Now... the new, orange Dodge Challenger I saw on Saturday had TONS of presence!

Leno said the McLaren F1 doesn't look that amazing either and he has a point. Park next to some of the other supercars out there it looks plain. It is however most likely faster then most of them. I think the GT R is similar in the sense. Although most likely ending up being a lot less rare and of course cheaper.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:53 am »
Again, don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't think the GT-R is a masterwork, especially from a performance standpoint -- but $90,000 isn't exactly chicken scratch either; so playing the whole 'bang for the buck' card really doesn't hold a lot of water with me.  It's still far beyond the reach of most people -- and at that level, many (not all) are after a little bit of class too. 

A pair of Asics will likely be more comfortable and certainly perform better than fine, hand-crafted Italian loafers.  A Timex digital probably handles impact and shock better than a Rolex.  But there's a time and place for everything and a lot of wealthy folks could use a little more taste and class. 

What good is having the best performance if you're never going to put the car in a competitive, track setting?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:38 am »
Getting a second look from passer-by's sometimes are worth the money alone.  :) Ferrari are like that. Saw a Ford GT in the parking lot of Keg's restaurant, everyone stopped to look at it, and heard a few "what is it" ?

Mitlov

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 11:40:59 am »
The GT-R isn't within reach of Joe Sixpack the truck driver or mill worker...but what new performance car is?  At most, a Mustang GT or something like that.  The GT-R is well within reach for Silicon Valley programmers and the like (not old money or trust funders, but they have a good amount of disposable income), who are probably the ones who would like its image the most too.

My brother is 29 with no family, works for a software company.  Doesn't like pretentious things, but he likes quality and innovation.  Drives a BMW motorcycle, but would never own a BMW car, if that makes sense.  People like him are the target market for this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:44:55 am by Mitlov »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:27 am »
The GT-R isn't within reach of Joe Sixpack the truck driver or mill worker...but what new performance car is?  At most, a Mustang GT or something like that.  The GT-R is well within reach for Silicon Valley programmers and the like (not old money or trust funders, but they have a good amount of disposable income), who are probably the ones who would like its image the most too.

My brother is 29 with no family, works for a software company.  Doesn't like pretentious things, but he likes quality and innovation.  Drives a BMW motorcycle, but would never own a BMW car, if that makes sense.  People like him are the target market for this.

... Baseball player?

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 11:57:24 am »

... Baseball player?

I don't get it.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
Bimmer ... Beammer  ... Beamball ...

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 09:33:23 am »
Mitlov... sounds like your brother appreciates quality and prefers not to follow the herd.  He likes to make dust... not eat dust.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:36 am »
Mitlov... sounds like your brother appreciates quality and prefers not to follow the herd.  He likes to make dust... not eat dust.

...or perhaps he's so fixated on what others are driving that he can't appreciate the exquisite motoring enjoyment of a BMW automobile.  "Oh, I don't want to be like everyone else."   ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
Both of y'all are reading too much into this.  The man loves engineering-for-the-sake-of-engineering but dislikes anything "luxury."  It's really that simple.

I'm not saying that's the way people SHOULD be, nor am I saying that it's BAD that he is that way.  I'm just describing the way he is as an example of the GT-R's target market.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:52 am »
Ok then show us yer NEW TATTOO Giant "D"............ :stick:  is that Artic wif his "sig'...... :D....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 09:53:37 am »
Anyone see the TopGear track run of the GT-R WOW!  No understeer, incredible speed, power on oversteer on the exits.  Incredible!  And the time wow wow wow it was fast!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 10:03:08 am »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12409
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 10:20:51 am »
Anyone see the TopGear track run of the GT-R WOW!  No understeer, incredible speed, power on oversteer on the exits.  Incredible!  And the time wow wow wow it was fast!

That was impressive.  Clarkson's unbridled enthusiasm for the vehicle is pretty telling, considering the kind of vehicles he routinely gets to fling around a racetrack and blast cross-country.  I would think he'd be kind of hard to impress - and he was positively gushing.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 12:33:47 pm »
If you watch the GT-R vs. Bullet Train race from the previous episode, it really won him over.  Not a big fan at first, but by the time he was done with it, completely different story...

von_khan

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 02:05:49 pm »
Looks like a beefed up 350Z. Looks of it dont appeal to me at all.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
Bruno Senna pitted the GT-R against the 911 Turbo in the latest episode (14x06) of Fifth Gear on a wet track. It was close, but the GT-R came out as the faster car in the end. I think the it is well worth watching the episode if you can, as it is not often you can see someone as capable as Senna put these cars in a real test and provide you with some meaningful commentary.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth