Author Topic: Save the planet. Drive a Cayman.  (Read 3977 times)

Mitlov

Save the planet. Drive a Cayman.
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:41:40 am »
The base-engined Porsche Cayman has a 245 hp, 2.7L flat six powering the rear wheels.  This is not the recipe one expects for a fuel miser.  However, I stumbled upon its EPA fuel economy rating recently, and I was blown away.  (Note that all numbers that follow will be from the US EPA, which uses US gallons and is generally very pessimistic, as it takes into account heavy AC use and the like).  The Cayman is rated at 20 mpg city, 29 mph highway.

For comparison, the far-less-powerful Miata gets 21/28.  The less-powerful-and-FWD Civic Si gets 21/29.  Even the relatively-pedestrian Mazda3 2.3 gets 22/29.  Shoot, my car, which only has a 1.8L turbo four making about 180 hp stock and putting it through the front wheels, doesn't do any better on gas than the Cayman.  The Jetta 1.8T gets 21/28 under the EPA's new system.

Comments?  Talk amongst yourselves :)

Wolfe

Re: Save the planet. Drive a Cayman.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:54:12 am »
I suppose I could be convinced to do my bit for the environment and trade my Miata straight up for a Cayman.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:37 am »
I bet the Civic, Miata and 3 are all loads more fun to drive.  Probably faster too.

EDIT:  I read that as the Cayenne, not the Caymen.  Good thing I put the sexy in Dyslexia.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:54:14 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:03:08 pm »
I bet the Civic, Miata and 3 are all loads more fun to drive.  Probably faster too.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I'm sure the Porsche engine is rated like that but I would never see those numbers.  :skid:

Maybe auto makers should start listing hp/mpg?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:23 pm »
My dilemma is that I can't keep a Porsche at legal speed to get those mpg number. Not that I have a Porsche to drive anyway.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:55 pm »
Actually the 2 porsches I test drove returned excellent fuel economy.

May I remind you all of my cayman review: http://www.canadiandriver.com/ctc/blog/sports-cars/2007-porsche-cayman.htm

I averaged 10.8L/100km with a VERY heavy right foot and it was winter and we had TONS of snow == tons of wheel spin .... trust me ;)

I was blown away!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:11:53 pm »
OK, I am convinced. Now if I can only convince my bank account ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 04:22:20 pm »
..BITE ME...I want ONE....even at 10MPG.... :drool: :fall:.......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:47 pm »
How about insurance? ;D
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »
How about insurance? ;D

When I had my P5 I got a quote on a Boxster S. My rate was $900/yr and the Porsche would have been $1500/year.  This was 5 years ago and I lived in London, Ont.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:28:21 pm »
I guess while we're on topic of the Cayman, one of the guys from the Supra club..a co-driver of last years class winning Supra (and 3rd overall) was asked to drive this car for this years One Lap.  It's a Farnbacher Loles Cayman GTR with the X51 engine swap and the GT3 front end.  Rough life, eh??

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:11:34 am »
It's a Farnbacher Loles Cayman GTR with the X51 engine swap and the GT3 front end.  Rough life, eh??

Is X51 engine from Carrera S, the 380hp one? 
Must be NIIIIICE.
Is there after market limited slip diffs for Cayman, cuz that's a lot of power for open diffs..

I personally don't like the new front end on that one, though..  stock one looks fine to me. :P

Oh, back to on topic. 
Is the fuel consumption measured with 5 speed or 6 speed? :) either way, I would love to save the planet with Cayman, but my wallet apparently hates it so much to allow my personal Cayman.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:13:31 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 07:53:19 am »
We should put out a motion to give huge govt rebates for everyone who drives a Cayman on the basis of enviro-friendliness.

baumer00

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:49:21 am »
my uncle's car that he recently bought in Florida and drove down to Toronto (Cayman Design Edition):

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 10:59:10 am »
 :o  The Cayman Design Edition is HOT.  This is the wallpaper I frequently use at work:

I'm not usually one for racing stripes, but the Design Edition's matte black stripes on gloss black paint really look great.  The normal Cayman is almost too perfect in its lines.  The stripes are the imperfection that improves the overall beauty, like Cindy Crawford's mole.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 11:32:59 am »
HOLY _"MOLEY".....where's a dermatoligists celery SALARY when ya need one....... :lick: :inlove:

baumer00

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:51 pm »
:o  The Cayman Design Edition is HOT.  This is the wallpaper I frequently use at work:

I'm not usually one for racing stripes, but the Design Edition's matte black stripes on gloss black paint really look great.  The normal Cayman is almost too perfect in its lines.  The stripes are the imperfection that improves the overall beauty, like Cindy Crawford's mole.

Great wallpaper.

I'm hoping to get a ride in it soon, he brought it back from Florida 2 weeks ago, bought it at least 4 or 5 months ago,my cousin was away at school in Florida so he was able to buy it and keep it there for the winter at their house - his choices for the drive to school were the Cayman and his Audi S4, not a bad decision to have.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 12:49:06 pm »
Definitely feel bad for him, no convertible to drive in Florida among his choices.

turbodiesel

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
even the Hong Kong based online car source atnextmotor.com comments this Cayman's fuel economy is similar to a Corolla! Exact phrasing as follows: (I translate for you guys...)

現 在 香 港 人 人 話 油 價 貴 , 筆 者 就 眼 見 不 少 開 平 治 的 車 主 都 走 去 非 法 加 油 站 入 鬼 油 , 不 少 Supercar 如 法 拉 利 F360 就 要 行 成 $3 一 公 里 , 情 況 實 在 已 到 達 一 個 非 常 嚴 峻 的 地 步 。 不 過 , 買 Cayman , 你 可 以 放 心 , 它 是 史 上 第 一 部 sell 慳 油 的 波 子 。 據 廠 方 的 數 字 , 它 的 平 均 耗 油 只 為 9.3L/100km , 換 算 香 港 的 油 價 , 每 公 里 只 是 $1.28 , 同 你 開 架 豐 田 Corolla 差 唔 多 , 簡 直 不 可 思 議 ! 開 著 它 日 日 去 元 朗 B 仔 涼 粉 , 再 兜 去 西 貢 滿 記 再 加 上 環 九 記 牛 腩 都 唔 會 肉 赤 。

(Currently people in Hong Kong complains about high fuel price, and the writer had seen many Mercedes-Benz drivers fuel their car in "illegal gas station"; even supercars such as Ferrari F360 needs HK$3/km, and the situation is getting worse. However, don't worry if you buy a Cayman, because this is the FIRST most fuel efficient Porsche ever! According to the stats from the manufacturer, its fuel economy is 9.3L/100km, translated into Hong Kong's fuel price, it's only HK$1.28, very close to that of Toyota Corolla... definitely unbelievable. It won't hurt if you drive to Yuen Long to have dessert, and go to Moon Kee @ Sai Kung, and even go to Kau Kee Beef Brisket @ Sheung Wan... everyday.)

source: http://motor.atnext.com/moDspContent.cfm?article_id='%23%5CC5Q%3F%3B%20%20P%20%20%0A&CAT_ID=1&MOID=664

P.S. Sai Kung and Yuen Long is in New Territories; losely "translated" in terms of GTA area, think it is Oshawa and Vaughan respectively. Sheung Wan is in HK Island... think it is downtown area particularly UTSG in Toronto. So now you can see how far it is!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:20:59 pm by turbodiesel »

baumer00

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 03:18:48 pm »
Definitely feel bad for him, no convertible to drive in Florida among his choices.

my uncle used to have a mitsubishi 3000GT (I think that's what it was called) that was a convertible, also bought in the US and brought to Canada many years ago, but he wrapped that around a pole and didn't replace it.  If I recall correctly, it was a hardtop retractable convertible, quite neat.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:25:51 pm by BJB »