Author Topic: Good and bad areas of Guelph.  (Read 32966 times)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
Re: Good and bad areas of Guelph.
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
Agreed about Angels. The burgers are excellent! Wimpys downtown has huge burgers but I don't find them as tasty as Angels.

I will try the pub downtown you recommended. We used to go downtown almost every weekend. Then it started to get a little rough down there. One day some of the homeless people got into a good scrap right outside of Wimpys. These are two women BTW, and not men! :o They were spitting and everything. It was so gross. This and some other stuff kind of got my wife and I off of going downtown for awhile. Now they have moved the "drop in centre" to just off of downtown and things seem to have gotten a bit better.

Oh, The Carden Street Cafe is another highly recommended place and I have also eaten at Bin 18 (I think that is the name) which is a few doors to the left of The Wok's Taste. Some of the best grilled Calamari I have ever had!

Cortina

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:30 pm »
Now we have the best restaurants in town out the way. I have to asked considering it is the 4th most liveable city in Canada and the 5th fastest growing. Is it a really great place. I'm really impressed so far with the way the have kept the integrity of the downtown. it is very impressive city. So I'm really looking foward to getting started in a new town. So I'm hopping that it is great place to settle down for while. I feel I made the right choice. because it is the people that care about a city that make it a great place. :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:08 pm »
Any east Indian restuarant with the name "Bombay" anywhere in the name is guaranteed to be the sh*ts.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 04:13:49 pm »
someone suggested Frugal McDougals Pub to me............any GOOD...and HOW CHEAP..... ;D :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 04:25:55 pm »
I work nr Stone/Gordon.

I've only really seen the newer parts of Guelph which are on a par with better suburbs of the GTA. That said, I once got lost and saw some really old rickety shacks called 'homes' which looked liked they pre-date the First World War and before Berlin became Kitchener... 

If you hope to do some serious shopping - go elsewhere. The Stone Rd Mall takes little more than 5 mins to walk from end to end. The only saving grace is that it has a Chapters and the HMW store has a dedicated Brit DVD section.

The local VW dealership seem much more friendly than my local dealer.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39:30 pm »
Cortina.  At the moment Guelph is blessed by a Mayor and council who really seem to know what they are doing. This has not always been the case I am told, the last Mayor was hopeless ( before we lived here)

Guelph is, sadly, along with the encompassing Wellington County on Ontario's "Places to grow" list.  This is a problem as the available water supply is near its limit already. We get our (very hard) water from an acquifer not from one of the lakes.  But the extra 20-30,000 people in Guelph and its hinterland will improve business opportunities.   

They say that sooner or later we will get a GO train... but that requires several km of existing track to be double tracked.  We will get a new piece of Highway 7  from G to K-W and they keep promising that Hwy 6 will be routed properly across the 401 at some point. I wouldn't hold my breath for any of these fabulous things.

Spheric is probably correct about the serious shopping.  Stone Rd Mall is not very exciting, one has to go to Cambridge/K-W or even Mississauga for a BIG Mall.

Saf, Frugal McDougals is OK.   Beer good and decent burgers.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »
..Ta tpl....sounds like a GOA.... ;).....better than decent beer and good burgers WOT!!!.....Me too like Indian KEW_SEEN.....pretty hard to come by the further U get from Mississauga............... the closest thing in my neck of the woods is to CURRY FAVOUR........ :surrend: :spam:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:53:45 pm by safristi »

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
TO add some more to the thread...

Overall I am very happy living in Guelph. I spent many summers here as a child as my aunt would look after my brother and I when my parents went traveling. While Rockwood is much as I remember it Guelph has grown by leaps and bounds. In some respects this is good and the city is finally catching up amenities wise to its population size. The bad is that we are constrained for water and it is downright annoying to be on reduced water use even when we have had (to me anyways) ample rainfall. This is something Guelph will be dealing with long term; especially with the industrial park growing.

As for shopping, well yes, Stone Road Mall is so-so at the best of times. I do go there from time to time because it is so close by for me. When I want to do a larger shop the Cambridge Centre is only 20 minutes away from me and this is a great mall. The Fairway mall in Kitchener is good as well; but the parking there is kind of a pain whereas the parking situation in Cambridge is super easy and there is so much to do on Hespeler (Mangolian Grill slurp!).

Guelph has the Guelph Storm of course which is a great value. Hamilton is only a 40 minute drive from the south end of Guelph to catch a Hamilton Bulldog game (A.H.L.) or to hit the Ti-Cats.

The Galaxy on Woodlawn is an excellent place to watch a movie. Be sure to go to the Mustang Drive-In from time to time as it is only about 10 minutes away from the Stone Road Mall. I typically try to go 3-4 times per year. I am hoping to take the Chevelle at some point.

For shopping there are some cool stores downtown. This is a great place to go on a Saturday as the parking is free and pretty much everything is open. Unlike years past we actually have an assortment of big box stuff now (Home Depot, Future Shop, Wallmart, Boston Pizza etc). Until a couple of years ago these options weren't there whether you wanted them or now.

Cortina

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 06:36:51 pm »
we actually have an assortment of big box stuff now (Home Depot, Future Shop, Wallmart, Boston Pizza etc). Until a couple of years ago these options weren't there whether you wanted them or now.

You have to be careful with the growth. I seen many downtowns die because of the growth was not carefully plan out. The downtown is the heart and life of a city IMO. So these might be good omens at first. But it doesn't take to many big box stores to kill a town. ;)

Anyway. all in all it sounds like a good place. :)

Thxs for all the good info. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2008, 08:34:17 pm »
we actually have an assortment of big box stuff now (Home Depot, Future Shop, Wallmart, Boston Pizza etc). Until a couple of years ago these options weren't there whether you wanted them or now.

You have to be careful with the growth. I seen many downtowns die because of the growth was not carefully plan out. The downtown is the heart and life of a city IMO. So these might be good omens at first. But it doesn't take to many big box stores to kill a town. ;)

Anyway. all in all it sounds like a good place. :)

Thxs for all the good info. :)

I agree but I think that the University will help keep it a good place even if there are some big boxes.   They did fight hard against Wallymart and I believe they got overruled by the OMB.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »
I need to throw this in.  :surrend: 

Big box stores are NOT the threat to downtowns like Guelph's.  It's NEO-CONSERVATIVE drug laws that target weed production and usage and then take a pass on the horrible scourge of meth and crack.  Vancouver's core (traditional business and tourist section) is a case in point as well as many parts of downtown Toronto.  Once law enforcement is allowed to divert resources to soft targets and let the meth and crack dealers roam essentially at will then your city cores slowly goes down the drain or sections thereof.  Small cities like Guelph only have the one section. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:25:01 pm by articsteve »

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 12:17:57 pm »
For all you Guelphites, go visit my brothers hotdog wagon on York Rd, for the best dogs in town. Tell him some guy in Estonia recommended him ;)

I used to have a business in downtown Guelph and will say that for the retailer/service businesses its was easy to tell when the University term was over.
The students are a very good source of business.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2008, 12:33:07 pm »
 :iagree: us Olde Fartes...can only get Legless twice a week now......and 3 burgers are our LIMIT...... :rofl2:...now I still can't just EAT ONE CHIP............ :stick:..is there not a BIG GUELPH!!! special on Tap @ Friday Happy HOUR???? :cheers: :drool: :fall: :shuffle: :banana: :banana: :banana:..............aaaaahhh that quenched a FIRE............Fire Alert Danger ...GREEN
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:37:02 pm by safristi »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:44 pm »
For all you Guelphites, go visit my brothers hotdog wagon on York Rd, for the best dogs in town. Tell him some guy in Estonia recommended him ;)

What is the name of the place and where is it on York?

Cortina.  At the moment Guelph is blessed by a Mayor and council who really seem to know what they are doing. This has not always been the case I am told, the last Mayor was hopeless ( before we lived here)

Yes i have dealt several times with the Council and for most part they use logic to make decisions
Any east Indian restuarant with the name "Bombay" anywhere in the name is guaranteed to be the sh*ts.

True for most part..Try Bonbay Bhel (Hwy10 and Eglintion) in Mississauga, its awesome...

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 02:16:16 pm »

Its one of those mobile hot dog carts. He is set up on York by the baseball diamonds and if my memory is correct I think there are soccer fields there as well by the river.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:21 pm »

Yes i have dealt several times with the Council and for most part they use logic to make decisions

True for most part..Try Bombay Bhel (Hwy10 and Eglintion) in Mississauga, its awesome...

The Bombay Bhels are patchy imo. We went to the one at  Erin Mills Pkwy  one block north of Derry last week and it was fairly good, certainly competent and good servicewith most of the clientèle from the sub continent.

Cortina

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 01:10:26 pm »
looks like I'm going to be buying in Kitchener. Because for 200K gets you nothing in Guelph. 200K gets you a lot more in Kitchener. Its crazy what some people ask for a house in Guelph. I think the  housing market is artificially high. shame really.   :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 01:28:37 pm »
KW is a great city(s)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:28 pm »
KW is a great city(s)

+ 1. I never hear anything bad go down in the Tri City area. I have been in the area a number of times, it seems like a nice place. :)

Its home to 2 well respected Universities as well.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:44 pm »
looks like I'm going to be buying in Kitchener. Because for 200K gets you nothing in Guelph. 200K gets you a lot more in Kitchener. Its crazy what some people ask for a house in Guelph. I think the  housing market is artificially high. shame really.   :)

Housing prices are generally higher in Guelph. I think this is partially because it is a commuter city for some (it is 40 minutes from downtown Hamilton from the south end & I can get to downtown T.O. in 45 minutes or so if the traffic is perfect).

We live almost at the corner of Clair and Gordon and the prices back in 2000 where $10000 more to buy where we are versus the exact same hour in the North-East part of town. We paid $185000 for our house back in 2000 with almost $15000 in upgrades in the house. We have put another $15000-$17000 into the house since in landscaping, light fixtures, flooring upgrades etc.

The housing market is softening here though. You're correct though that $200000 doesn't buy a heck of a lot in Guelph. Townhouses can set you back $230000 or more for a newer one.