Author Topic: Good and bad areas of Guelph.  (Read 32957 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Good and bad areas of Guelph.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 08:19:49 pm »
So what are the good and bad areas of Guelph. I went there on Saturday and I kind of like. Its Looks very pretty. so I'm moving lock stock and barrel Sept 1st. To start a new life and new business adventure.  ;) :) ;D :P

what is the new business adventure ???

Cortina

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 08:22:16 pm »
So what are the good and bad areas of Guelph. I went there on Saturday and I kind of like. Its Looks very pretty. so I'm moving lock stock and barrel Sept 1st. To start a new life and new business adventure.  ;) :) ;D :P

what is the new business adventure ???

Well is it new business venture I know that. But it will be more adventure I hope. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »
Guelph is surprisingly bereft of competent Chinese restos.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 11:53:53 pm »
Guelph is surprisingly bereft of competent Chinese restos.

No, no, no! Hit The The Wok's Taste downtown. Some of the best Chinese anywhere. Seriously! I have eaten many times in Chinatown in T.O. and I am originally from Ottawa and have eaten in many Chinese restaurants in Ottawa. The Wok's Taste is awesome!

For Thai there is The Lemongrass, The Red Paypaya, Pho Bien Than and several others. Some great Indian restaurants as well. For wings it is hard to beat Turtle Jacks. Shakespeares is great all around and their wings and ribs are very good as well.

What I am missing is a great "mom and pop" pizza place. Hamilton has at least 6 amazing places. Trokaderos is probably the best pizza place in Guelph that I know of... Okay, I'll admit it... I am a bit of a "foodie"...

Cortina

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09:36 am »
What about Indian food?  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 05:47:40 am »
Cortina

Bollywood Bistro is ok certainly competent but not inspired.   Three of the 4 Indian buffets in town  are not at all good and I haven't yet tried the 4th one.  To be fair here MOST Indian Buffets outside ( or inside) concentrated Indo/Pakististan areas are pretty basic with the same old dishes but the Guelph ones seem lacking in basic competence.

I cook Indian myself so I do know what's what at the Indian places but I don't cook Chinese myself and I do miss the restos in Richmond Hill where I used to work.

Zoo
I don't count the Lemongrass etc as Chinese. I like the Red Papaya.
I will try the Wok's Taste at the first opportunity   but one recommendable Chinese resto for 118,000 people is not enough!
I will also try the Trokadero for Pizza.   But we have a pizza stone and can cook our own......

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 05:56:03 am »
Cortina, Zoo, Runsinlight & CSH

Maybe the Guelphites should get together one sunny summer evening to eat & drink and tell tall tales about cars.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:07 am »
No "Red Devil" in the phone book... sad.

Ottawa Ptui!       Richmond Hill  & Markham north of TO beats them all for Chinese restos

many many well off Hong Kongers came to stay and the resto guys and their cooks followed.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:23 am »

Maybe the Guelphites should get together one sunny summer evening to eat & drink and tell tall tales about cars.

Count me in! If I still have the Chevelle we could take it out for a criuse... Lots of great pubs around Guelph so we could find a nice patio this summer. Or, we could do the coffee thing if you prefer. Great idea! :)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:13 am »
Anyone know if "Red Devil" is still there (a BBQ restaurant with this wall that greets you at the entrance filled with all kinds of hot sauces, you grab the sauce you like and bring it to your table) It was good when I went, but we're talking 7 yrs ago approx.
I did not read the label carefully enough of my "Mad Dog Inferno" hot sauce that I chose which was an extract of a concentrate of Habanero!  :o
Plunked a dozen drops onto a chicken leg and could not speak for a good 10 minutes. I am used to very hot sauces (collect them too) but this was brutal...brought a bottle home, still use it very carefully on occasion.

Sadly the Red Devil has been gone from Guelph for at least 5 years. There is a Caseys now in the location off of Stone Road where The Red Devil used to be. Man, the soup was awesome there!

In its place let me recommend an awesome Italian restaurant. Romeros is a great "mom & pop" establishment with freshly made delicious dishes at a fair price. 355 Elmira right off of Speedvale.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:29 am »
What about Indian food?  :)

I haven't tried them but Currie In A Hurry and The Bombay Cafe get good reviews around here.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:45 am »
We lunched at the Bombay cafe and it was terrible maybe we caught them on a bad day.

I agree about pubs.   I like the fat Duck myself... for the food.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:32 am »
I haven't tried the Fat Duck. That is in the same mall my wife works at (she is a physio at South City Physiotherapy). My wife loves Shakespeares at Harvard Estates just off Gordon and just about everything on the menu is excellent. I will bug my wife to go to the Fat Duck sometime.

Cortina

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 11:32:20 am »

Sounds good. I'll be there sometime in September. I've got a lot to do when I first arrive. But I make time.  :)

I've Got to buy a van and open a shop. Then I got to drive all over the place looking for stock. Thats what I'm planning to do as soon as I arrive. This Monday I'm house hunting all day. I have 8 houses to look at. Bound to be one that is a buy.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 11:39:06 am »
Will you be telling us what the shop sells when you have a "Grand Opening" ?

Cortina

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Will you be telling us what the shop sells when you have a "Grand Opening" ?

Yes. ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 11:49:02 am »
Sea shells by the sea shore?

Cortina

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
Sea shells by the sea shore?

No a bit more tasteful than that. I'm going back to what I know and first started. Because it has the right balance of time off - looking for stock - minding the shop. Guelph seams the right place for this type of shop. :)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 12:23:14 pm »
Cool!

I am still in the process of getting my Real Estate license (I write my Phase 2 exam June 7'th); otherwise I would be happy to help you find a house!

Edit: That being said I would be happy to have a beer or coffee with you and talk about the various areas in Guelph. Some areas are woefully underserviced and have no commercial amenities anywhere close by. The north-east end of town is like that. I have a friend out there who ends up driving 15 minutes or more to get groceries or anything else. Keep that in mind when you are looking. It was like that for us for the longest time but now there is a restaurant, grocery store, library, bank etc all within an easy walk of our house.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:37:05 pm by Zoo »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
Well all i can say is Welcome to Guelph

There is a new pub in downtown McCabe's. The wings there are awesome. Angel's diner is also decent.

For Indian food

Bollywood Bistro i will give 6/10
Empress of India i will give 8/10 (your best bet)
Spice 11 (new restaurant havent been there.. have to still review)
Bombay Cafe/Zaika/Diana Downtown and the others will give then 2/10 (dont go there)

Agree, Lets have guelph get together lots of patio places