Author Topic: Good and bad areas of Guelph.  (Read 32968 times)

Cortina

Good and bad areas of Guelph.
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:23 pm »
So what are the good and bad areas of Guelph. I went there on Saturday and I kind of like. Its Looks very pretty. so I'm moving lock stock and barrel Sept 1st. To start a new life and new business adventure.  ;) :) ;D :P

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Re: Good and bad areas of Guelph.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »
My favourite areas are to the East and West of Gordon St between Claire Rd and  Stone Rd. Bad, I guess that depends on your definition of bad. There are some run down areas.

I think there is only 3 of us that live here, you might not get that many responses. From what I've found North of Stone rd tends to be the older for housing building before 1980 (some exceptions obvously). South of stone rd tends to be a newer area.

If you perfer a smaller town atmosphere with all the main essentials, grocery store  etc.. You can save approx 10k (so I've heard) by living in Fergus. Save in terms
of buying housing anyways.

If you are looking to rent a whole house you might have some trouble finding a place being a Univeristy town. If you looking to rent an apartment you should
have some options.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:48:58 pm by RunsinLight »

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:48:46 pm »
My favourite areas are to the East and West of Gordon St between Claire Rd and  Stone Rd. Bad, I guess that depends on your definition of bad. There are some run down areas.

I think there is only 3 of us that live here, you might not get that many responses.

Well what do you called bad in Guelph. :)

Also there is not lot houses under 200's. I'm looking as close to downtown as possible.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:53:32 pm by Cortina »

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:54:12 pm »
I lived here 8 years ago and loved it. I moved back here this past October because of work reasons, I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
I don't mind it, there certainly isn't anything wrong with it. I have emotional reasons for not liking it more then I do. So I wouldn't take any weight on my opinion on this.

Well what do you called bad in Guelph. :)

Also there is not lot houses under 200's. I'm looking as close to downtown as possible.  :)

I have to asked. do you like Guelph?

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »
The part I don't like the most is the snow plowing. Let me know if you see one, I haven't lol

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:00:03 pm »
I have emotional reasons for not liking it more then I do. So I wouldn't take any weight on my opinion on this.

I'm bored.  Can you unload some of your emotional baggage on me??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Cortina

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:01:32 pm »
I lived here 8 years ago and loved it. I moved back here this past October because of work reasons, I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
I don't mind it, there certainly isn't anything wrong with it. I have emotional reasons for not liking it more then I do. So I wouldn't take any weight on my opinion on this.

:) No worries.

Its to late to change my mind now anyway. I'm moving regardless. I need a new start and a change. So I've been looking at lot of towns in Ontario. This seams to be the best so far. :)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »
I was very attached to a previous job, it was a lot more then a job to me. I was more or less forced to move on. I ended up here

I have emotional reasons for not liking it more then I do. So I wouldn't take any weight on my opinion on this.

I'm bored.  Can you unload some of your emotional baggage on me??

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:06:23 pm »
The garbage system is a pain at first but after a couple weeks its not a big deal.

:) No worries.

Its to late to change my mind now anyway. I'm moving regardless. I need a new start and a change. So I've been looking at lot of towns in Ontario. This seams to be the best so far. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
If I might pry ask, what was it about the job you loved so much...I mean..why was it MORE than just a paycheque?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 05:13:33 am »
We moved here from downtown TO  by choice after I retired. We are in "Old University"  (mls.ca designation)just north of College and between Edinburgh and Gordon.  Nice older houses on reasonable sized lots but by no means the cheapest part.

Further south on Gordon down to Clair road its all  new(er) houses. Kortright west/Kortright east. Waterloo/Westacres is mostly new as well

If there is a "bad bit" it would be between downtown and Victoria north of York. Small older houses on small lots.  that part  St Georges/St Pancras ( on mls.ca) also is one of the most expensive parts... even moving from TO we were a bit shocked at some of the prices there.

G is a nice place. The services seem to work well.  We get good snow plowing and as Runsin says, once you get used to the garbage system its ok.
G has "rush minutes". People who have lived here forever say the traffic is terrible but compared to TO... there is none.

I'd have to say I like the place.   Mrs tpl loves it 'cos she now has a big garden.   It is quiet tho' in our area.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Cortina

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:44:26 am »
Thanks great info. There is one house I like that is right downtown. It is a stone house on Arthur. So why is downtown bad?

PS.

Whats up with garbage system. :think:

barrie1

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:58:55 pm »
You might wish to have a look at Hespler as well which is very close to Guelph as its a nice clean little town for living in as well. I spent a fair amount of time there as a youth as My one Uncle was Cheif of police there at that time.  :)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 05:06:23 pm »
The garbage system is wet/dry/waste. The blue and green bags go out each week. The clear bag (waste) goes out every other week.

http://www.guelph.ca/living.cfm?subCatID=886&smocid=1471

Nothing is wrong with downtown that I know of. The shopping area isn't run down or anything. There is usually lots of people walking about.

Thanks great info. There is one house I like that is right downtown. It is a stone house on Arthur. So why is downtown bad?

PS.

Whats up with garbage system. :think:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:09:36 pm by RunsinLight »

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
Clearly I'm living in a different Guelph then you. I've never seen a snow plow in Guelph. EVER. Does the city own any?

G is a nice place. The services seem to work well.  We get good snow plowing and as Runsin says, once you get used to the garbage system its ok.
G has "rush minutes". People who have lived here forever say the traffic is terrible but compared to TO... there is none.
I'd have to say I like the place.   Mrs tpl loves it 'cos she now has a big garden.   It is quiet tho' in our area.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 05:29:30 pm »
Downtown is great if small.   The old stone houses crop up all over the place we have one near us lived in by the great (great?) grandson of the guy who built it in 1850 or so.

Arthur St at Eramosa is the edge of the expensive bit   Eramosa to STevenson to Grove. A few streets in there are pricey

We get our little residential street plowed far TOO OFTEN as I have to shovel the windrows from across my driveway.  I don't know where you live Runsin but could it be your windows don't face the street?   ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:13 pm »
..I'M contemplating buyin' that CATHEDRAL and opening another PAINT BALL religious EXPERIENCE.........blast me farther for I have sinned.........when I woz comin' Ov't ta Canada on the MAYFLOWER a guy sent a job offer ta me in Guelph the day after I left.....by the time the mail caught up with me I was rolling Linoleum at SEARS warehouse in Malton...I coulda shoulda woulda been tpl's annoying neighbour.... :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 06:34:30 pm »
I live in the Clairfields subdivision and we built our house back in 2000. Things have really grown in Guelph and it has changed a fair bit since I moved here. For one thing there are a lot of great dining choices now and we even have a good movie theatre in the north end of town now!

If you like good take out make sure you hit the Poultry Market just off the Hanlon on Kortright. Amazing Chicken Pot Pies, soups, Mexican entries etc. I could tell you all about my favourite restaurants.

As for where to live the neighbourhood just south of the Grand River on the west of Gordon is amazing. Nice large lots, well kept homes etc. Alas, house prices in Guelph are fairly steep. Fergus is a more economical choice but the driving between Guelph and Fergus in the winter on highway 6 can be daunting and downright dangerous sometimes. :drive2:

Feel free to P.M. me and if you ever want to meet for coffee I could give you my two cents worth of what is great in Guelph. Barrie mentioned Hespeler and Cambridge is only 20 minutes from my place and there are some nice subdivisions there as well. I still find it frustrating that I can get to shopping in Cambridge quicker and easier than I can get to the north end of Guelph. One thing you may come to hate is the Hanlon which is the excuse of a roadway that connects north and south Guelph. It is nothing like the Linc in Hamilton which is wonderful and efficient.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
..I've herd ;) aboot those Mexican ENTRIES...butt Don Quixote doesn't appeal ta me fer brekkie........... :rofl:

Cortina

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:13:37 pm »
Feel free to P.M. me and if you ever want to meet for coffee I could give you my two cents worth of what is great in Guelph.

Sounds cool. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 08:17:25 pm by Cortina »