Author Topic: Seen on the Weekend Thread  (Read 329406 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: Seen on the Weekend Thread
« Reply #1180 on: February 08, 2021, 10:14:19 am »
My wife was cleaning out a closet this weekend, and was rearranging things and came across this.  I think it's the only picture of this car I might have.  Can't remember what year it was but I think it's a '97 Elantra. I kinda liked that little shitbox.  Manual (of course), and damn, that little engine ran so smooth, I'd almost bet you could've stood a penny on its side and it would've stayed standing with the engine idling.  Bought it too high, sold it for too little.  Non-interference engine I'm going to guess.  Timing belt went on it and I could still drive it to the repair shop to get it fixed.  Effing costly repair too!!  Not sure I sold the car for what the labour was. 
Timing belt: cheap.
Labour: Book was 8+ hrs IIRC - and they did it in 16 (not familiar with Hyundai at the GM dealer  :P)
And they screwed it up and had to go in a 2nd time to replace the secondary belts (I think there were 2? Main and one to the 2nd cam?).  It wouldn't rev past 3000 when I picked it up and sounded and felt like they hung bowling balls as counter weights on the crank...could've made milk shakes...so that was another $800. Not our fault! WTF! How not!? So they split it, 50:50...that was so long ago...the things you don't forget... :P ::)

Anyway...the wonderful little car.  Before Garage.

Someone even tried stealing it (the one night I forget to lock it!), but they couldn't (haha! Stick shift ashholes!) so they tried the stereo instead.  Couldn't even do that right.  Stole the removable face and broke a couple of plastic bits...bring tools next time fackers.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1181 on: February 08, 2021, 10:18:11 am »
That's earlier than '97 - that's a first gen model and the first year of the second gen was '96.

Good looking car! Of course being a '90s car that isn't a base model it has to have a trunk spoiler.  ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 08, 2021, 10:19:25 am »
Maybe it's a '95 then? 

Yeah, I liked the spoiler.  Hubcaps though...lol.  But, it was an AC car which was nice, and it had CC to.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1183 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:16 am »
Non-interference engine I'm going to guess.  Timing belt went on it and I could still drive it to the repair shop to get it fixed.  Effing costly repair too!!  Not sure I sold the car for what the labour was. 

Um, no.  If the timing belt goes, the car doesn't run.  Being a non-interference engine, if the timing belt does go, it won't destroy the engine.  But still doesn't mean you can drive it to the repair shop (unless you're getting towed behind another vehicle). 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 08, 2021, 10:41:13 am »
Alright, I probably (did) said it wrong...the timing belt was going, so got it replaced.  Obviously before the engine had any damage.  Must've been running like crap or not sure how I would've thought to get it done...either way, nothing broke.  So maybe it was or wasn't a non-inter-engine.  Never know now.  Gotta be close to 15 yrs since it's been gone.  Was just shocked I finally found a picture of it. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:03 am »
Alright, I probably (did) said it wrong...the timing belt was going, so got it replaced.  Obviously before the engine had any damage.  Must've been running like crap or not sure how I would've thought to get it done...either way, nothing broke.  So maybe it was or wasn't a non-inter-engine.  Never know now.  Gotta be close to 15 yrs since it's been gone.  Was just shocked I finally found a picture of it.

I would hazard a gas that a 90's Hyundai motor wasn't an interference engine, so even had it broke, the engine could have been saved. 

If it was running like crap, and ended up being the timing belt, I wonder if the worn out belt skipped a tooth or two?  The timing would have been out of whack, motor would have still run, but like absolute dogsh!t.   In such an instance, I could see a non-familiar dealer replacing the belt and maintaining the (incorrect) timing it was brought in with, resulting in the 'fixed' engine continuing to run like crap, and needing to redo the job to correct the timing.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-406
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '99 S 500 LWB, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #1186 on: February 08, 2021, 07:17:35 pm »
That's a great looking little car. I miss how honest, simple, and conservative econoboxes used to look. Evan a Civic, Corolla, Sentra or Protege of that era would look just fine.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1187 on: February 23, 2021, 10:13:31 am »
Two sightings from the past this weekend, treats for Japanese car fans: (edit: web pics, not my pics)

a no-rust 3rd gen Prelude, white (in the salty snow - poor thing).

and this one, well it's been awhile - Nissan Axxess! Period-correct dark teal, on black steelies.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1188 on: February 27, 2021, 10:19:52 pm »
No comment.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 28, 2021, 11:44:23 pm »
LOL...I was going to mention Jukes...we were in the city on Saturday and I don't think I've ever seen more Jukes running around as I did then.  Was there a fire sale?
First place we went, 2 parked side by side.
Passed a couple more on the way to stop #2.  More in the parking lot.
More at stop #3...
Passed one leaving the city, then one was heading into the city....then saw one make a left coming from LaSalle to go to the city...then by St A. another one turned off to go there...I think there were more Jukes than Civics which is statistically impossible!!
Never saw the pink one though...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1190 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:12 am »
No comment.

saw a bright pink Micra on the highway, GF called it "pepto pink"

Hideous
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #1191 on: March 05, 2021, 09:58:24 pm »
During our afternoon covid walk, I took this pic of this black stable that I've seen frequently outside a modest townhouse.  The Supra is a recent addition and IMO the Supra does not look its best in black.  The Model S and Tundra have been around for awhile.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:05:52 pm by Golly »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #1192 on: March 06, 2021, 12:42:09 am »
During our afternoon covid walk, I took this pic of this black stable that I've seen frequently outside a modest townhouse.  The Supra is a recent addition and IMO the Supra does not look its best in black.  The Model S and Tundra have been around for awhile.

And it was a wonderful afternoon for a walk. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #1193 on: March 07, 2021, 07:29:05 pm »
I don't recall seeing one of these Bentleys in Winnipeg before today.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 08, 2021, 11:32:40 am »

The Tundra and Model S are two opposite ends of an extreme.  The Tundra is well built and as reliable as an anvil, but about as fuel efficient as a cargo ship.  The Model S doesn't burn any gas, but is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to build quality.  I guess the two sorta cancel each other out? 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #1195 on: March 08, 2021, 11:35:18 am »

The Tundra and Model S are two opposite ends of an extreme.  The Tundra is well built and as reliable as an anvil, but about as fuel efficient as a cargo ship.  The Model S doesn't burn any gas, but is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to build quality.  I guess the two sorta cancel each other out?

Model S build quality is very good as far as I remember... Model 3 build quality is questionable.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1196 on: March 13, 2021, 05:02:29 pm »
Shelby Cobra just went by.  I can still hear it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1197 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:16 am »
A big dog with goggles and what looked like a smirk on its face, riding along in a sidecar.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1198 on: March 28, 2021, 06:46:14 am »
These big sedans are an increasingly rare sight these days.  Especially, nice ones like this.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1199 on: March 28, 2021, 11:09:37 am »
Black with red calipers, I approve  ;)

Yeah big sedans are very rare, would not trade mine for anything with a hatch though...except perhaps an XJL-R wagon  ;D