Author Topic: Toddler-friendly flea control for dogs?  (Read 2122 times)

Mitlov

Toddler-friendly flea control for dogs?
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:53 am »
Our dog has now brought two ticks into our house in the past month or so.  Not only is that unpleasant, but we have some concerns about lyme disease.  So we want to do something about it.  Thing is, I'm a little nervous about putting a poison on my dog's neck that allegedly will repel and kill insects for a full month (must be powerful stuff), when we have a toddler running around, petting her and then sticking his fingers in his mouth.

Have any parents out there faced this problem?  What do you use?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Toddler-friendly flea control for dogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »
I believe i used the same stuff...once a month( Non Winter) on the collar area on our Wheaten terrier for some 7 to 8 years...my understanding was that it was adsorbed into the local capillaries and thence the whole skin of the animal  after the first 12 hours and is unavailable to kids and people just petting the hair on the pet...so safe for junior i'd say........but avoid contact in that first half day to allow its adsorption into the skin...and just apply it to a small area after parting the fur and exposing bare skin,dont smear it round the whole neck and upper body......

We had to get the stuff thru a vet here in Canada,i think it was called ADVANTAGE.......I believe it is available without a vets Rx in the US.....worked great on our dog who rambled far and wide thru bush,fields,forests and lakes in our daily walks........no sign of fleas and ticks and no complaint from family members as to side effects from handling the dog.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:02:17 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:04:39 pm »
..No Fleas Flies on U Las.......tickety Boo on tha Scooteroo........wot ya recommend to keep "harleys" at bay???.... ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »
Advantage does NOT control ticks...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:04 pm »
My bad....my dog has been gone coming on 3 years....I believe Frontline was the combined Tick & Flea prep..........same caveats regarding application apply.....

barrie1

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:06 pm »
My Black Lab has the Product that we wipe on her neck as well. So far so good as she is down at the river virtually every day. The name is called "Revelution" and so far has been a very good product for us and her to use together. We also have younger grandchildren but always wait for it to dry before they are allowed around her to play.  It does seem to dry fairly quickly and without any residue at all. We do know it does work for all the bugs she runs with and the other dogs she has as pals as well.  :)