Author Topic: Focus gets facelift for 2009  (Read 8840 times)

Mitlov

Focus gets facelift for 2009
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:14:57 am »
After just one year, Ford is responding to widespread complaints about the looks of the 2008 Focus.  They've tweaked the front fascia and removed that godawful fake vent behind the front wheels.

The 2008 Focus:

The 2009 Focus:

While each change seems minor, the overall effect is much improved in my opinion.

High-res gallery of the new Focus:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-ford-focus-coupe/

PS.  If anyone says "I'd rather have the Euro Focus," I will burn your house down.  We've beaten that horse to hamburger already.  Besides, if you want a Euro Focus, buy a Mazda3.  Darned close to the same thing.

dorin

Re: Focus gets facelift for 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:37 am »
It is an improvement.  The '09 Focus is a reasonable-looking car and I'd consider it if I were looking for a new car, although it's still hurt by the lack of a hatch or wagon.

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:55:52 am »
It is an improvement.  The '09 Focus is a reasonable-looking car and I'd consider it if I were looking for a new car, although it's still hurt by the lack of a hatch or wagon.

True, though hardly an uncommon situation in the current North American auto market.  The Civic, Sentra, and Lancer spring to mind.  Plus, I think that the new Fiesta might be offered as a hatch as well as a sedan, which would place Ford in the same position as Honda and Nissan (subcompact hatch but no compact hatch).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:06 am »
Looks better and getting rid of that side 'fake' vent is a big step forward. Now bring back the wagon and maybe even the diesel version.

dorin

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:55 am »

True, though hardly an uncommon situation in the current North American auto market.  The Civic, Sentra, and Lancer spring to mind.  Plus, I think that the new Fiesta might be offered as a hatch as well as a sedan, which would place Ford in the same position as Honda and Nissan (subcompact hatch but no compact hatch).

:iagree:  The hatch/wagon comment was related to my "I'd consider it" comment.  If I were in the market for a new car right now I would also discount the Civic, Sentra, and Lancer for not having a hatch/wagon available.  I just really wish that Mazda had the hatch with the 2.0L engine back when I bought my car.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:51 am »
So far, these changes are for the coupe only which was definitely the more awkward looking of the two.

1) New Front Grill & Fascia.
2) Side Vents are gone.
3) 17" (SVT Style) Sport Wheels.
4) Power increase to 143 horsepower.
5) New rear diffuser.
6) New rear high mounted spoiler.
7) New rear lights.
8) Revised front lights
9) Free flowing exhaust system.
10) 4.2 final drive ratio for automatic transmissions.
11) New optional electronic stability control (ESC).

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159752

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:06:44 am by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:28 am »
Not a fan of the 2008+ Focus, even with the mild refresh.  No matter how much you polish a turd...

robarakira

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:10:14 pm »
 :hurl:

then a Mazda 3 it is...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:14:57 pm by SIVIC »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:29:10 pm »
If they faclift the Focus anymore they will have to remame it the CHER.

robarakira

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »

awesome

JVan

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »
They definitely cleaned up the look which was needed, now it is pretty attractive. For the 2008 being so "ugly" I've sure seen a lot on the road.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:55:48 pm »
Most people probably aren't all that concerned about the looks of the car so long as its not a box and has some degree of sleekness to it.  For the enthusiast every curve and character line is important :)

I've seen a few of the 08 Focus's around and while in pictures they look horrid, in person they are passably ok.  But they could have done/be doing so much better.  Still I guess its a stop gap until whenever they unify the Focus line like Mually keeps saying he's going to do.  Maybe with the Verve/Fiesta coming they will decide to move the Focus up market just a tad and justify a Euro Focus style/quality of vehicle seeing as the Verve/Fiesta is apparently going to be quite the looker.

kenobe23

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:43 pm »
The 2008 Focus has wrested the title of "Ugliest New Car" from the Dodge Nitro.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:40 pm »
The 2008 Focus has wrested the title of "Ugliest New Car" from the Dodge Nitro.

That title's only available to begin with because the Prius isn't "new."

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 05:01:34 am »
Its safe to say that this Focus is safe from any Chinese copy cat.

The foglight integration looks better. But it still IMO looks like a mix of the old Maverick and Tempo.

Seems Americans like the car as sales are up, but in Canada sales are down.

Maybe the lucky American consumers will be offered the coupe design along side the new worldwide Focus in 2011.

And to market this as a refresh is a stretch, IMO its a sports kit addition to give it some distinction from the sedan.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 07:01:22 am »
It still sucks.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 08:41:17 am »

awesome

Joan Rivers is more like it

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:04 pm »
Not a fan of the 2008+ Focus, even with the mild refresh.  No matter how much you polish a turd...

Yep, still ugly.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »
this is the reason NA ford is so utterly lost.   they should just bring the euro focus and euro mondeo with petrol and diesel options.  saturn seems to have figured it out.

And how well are the Aura and Astra selling in Canada, or North America for that matter?  Are they outselling the Fusion and Focus?  Are they even in the same ballpark as the Fusion and the Focus?  No?  That's what I thought.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 02:36:08 am »
this is the reason NA ford is so utterly lost.   they should just bring the euro focus and euro mondeo with petrol and diesel options.  saturn seems to have figured it out.

And how well are the Aura and Astra selling in Canada, or North America for that matter?  Are they outselling the Fusion and Focus?  Are they even in the same ballpark as the Fusion and the Focus?  No?  That's what I thought.

What is the advertising/marketing difference in the States between Aura/Astra & Fusion/Focus.

Would it not be a better to compare Aura or Saturn in general to Mercury, as they are going after a slightly different demographic,niche market, more upscale.

If you compare Aura to the Milan & Sable, then the Aura is outselling even when totalling sales numbers for both Milan and Sable.
The Astra's closest competitor would be Mazda3 on price level, as the Focus is still being offered with incentives, and as I understand can be had in the States as low as $11,000. But again I have to ask how much advertising is the Astra getting, and how much inventory is available and how large is the Saturn dealership network.

Saturns total sales car/trucks is about the same as Fords Focus, whereas if you look at Saturns total sales in comparison to Mercury, then you get a better comparison.

Seems to me that Saturn wouldn't have the capacity to even build enough units to compete against Fords Focus and Fusion.
Isn't the Cobalt and Malibu the direct competitors to the Focus and Fusion?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:44:50 am by MKII »