Author Topic: Moving again....  (Read 6992 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Moving again....
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:22 pm »
...and soon, I think.

I need to get a 10ft cube truck, Ottawa to Toronto. Hopefully a one-way trip (not interested in driving it back, and then going back to Toronto).

Discount had a quote for about $830 + 18cents / km, 100 free km so it'll be about ~$75-100 of distance charges. Seems pricey for a DIY move.

Any good ideas on how to mitigate cost? :) Other pitfalls to avoid?
Being 22 years old....can I even rent one of these things legally? ???
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Moving again....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:59:56 pm »
Trade in your gf for an older woman?  One over 25 anyway.  ;D ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »
You could buy a cube van and then sell it when you're in Toronto.   Most rental place is a minimum of 25.  Or hire a moving company.   Why are you moving to Toronto?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »
Sadly I think a moving co will be on the order of $2k :( but I might have little choice.

I'll enlighten you all on the why at a later date.

Wolfe

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:28:27 pm »
...and soon, I think.

That's quick. I presume the "t"s are dotted and the "i"s crossed then?

I haven't rented a cube van but $900+  :o.

I sold my Rav4 last summer partly because friends and relatives kept calling me to help them move and/or go to Ikea with them. Now I Can't fit much cargo in the Miata ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »
...and soon, I think.

That's quick. I presume the "t"s are dotted and the "i"s crossed then?

I haven't rented a cube van but $900+  :o.

I sold my Rav4 last summer partly because friends and relatives kept calling me to help them move and/or go to Ikea with them. Now I Can't fit much cargo in the Miata ;D

Almost done. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Hopefully no snags like "we own your soul" or something.

I need to start selling stuff. Must brings include Bed (queen), digital keyboard, winter tires, clothes, computer. Everything else can be sold and rebought. Planning 1 TSX and 1 Cube Van worth of space.

I have nothing against living cheaply and all my stuff is pretty much $20 Ikea junk...won't miss it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:25 pm »
When is the party?   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

dorin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »
Sorry to hear you're moving.  Do you have time to go for a beer before you leave town?

BTW, you only need to be 18 to rent from U-Haul.

Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »

Almost done. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Hopefully no snags like "we own your soul" or something.

They wouldn't want to own your soul, they'd rather lease it. Congratulations.

I need to start selling stuff. Must brings include Bed (queen), digital keyboard, winter tires, clothes, computer. Everything else can be sold and rebought. Planning 1 TSX and 1 Cube Van worth of space.

I have nothing against living cheaply and all my stuff is pretty much $20 Ikea junk...won't miss it.

In that case you probably don't need a cube truck. A smaller cargo van should do the job.

I fit a double bed, a desk and a TV inside the Rav4 when I helped one of my friends move last year. It's amazing how much stuff you can fit in a relatively small vehicle if you fold things the right way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
Ask Wing to borrow his car and use his trailer.  That should be enough for everything!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 01:20:02 am »
How much is uHaul one way?

A full size cargo van will be cheaper, Enterprise-wreck-a-car has them.

curls

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 09:31:27 am »
Hey man,

I rented a cube van from Hertz when I was 21... everywhere else was 25 at the time.  I believe Hertz is also one of the only places that make the insurance optional as well.

I might be interested in your winter tires. :) PM me if you want to get rid of them. ;)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:54 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. :)

UHaul is something like $20 / day and $0.49 / km, $15 / day insurance. Not sure how much the one-way surcharge bit is going to run me but I figure its worth quite a bit to me ($20 + $225 km charges + $15 + $75 gas + $65 bus ticket back to TO + my time....so $400 plus my time).

I reckon the surcharge will be in the neighbourhood of $600. At that stage it MIGHT be better to call a moving company...but I'll have to check other rental places.

When is the party?   ;D

Haha, I was actually dreaming of hosting a party on the roof of a fairly tall building somewhere in Toronto, but finding a venue that doesn't cost a fortune might be difficult.

You're so cynical. :P

I might be interested in your winter tires. :) PM me if you want to get rid of them. ;)

Probably will be keeping those tires. Girlfriend will want to go skiing in the winter despite that neither of us knows how to ski. :) Not that I will be able to get more than a single Friday or Monday off anyways. :)

Wolfe

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:15 pm »

You're so cynical. :P

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today. Thanks. ;D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 12:26:00 am »
Moving ain't fun.  >:( >:(

Air mattress, 2 big suitcase? Once I could fit everything I own into a 2 door car.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 05:52:08 am »
Keep your eyes open in  the newspaper, or on some of the online sites where you can also post, for people who are also moving and have space left over. Then you share the costs.

Movers might be the easiest though because what you pay is based on weight and you don't have a lot. They will bundle it up with another load and that may take a week or two, but it used to be fairly cheap.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 10:12:43 am »
U-haul isn't the cheapest but definitely has the worst trucks. There is a big nasty oil spill still outside my house from the last uhaul truck we rented. Pensky and such are better.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 10:52:33 am »
Based on the essential items you listed, it seems like a minivan would be enough. Don't you have any friends or family with such a vehicle? If not, it should be pretty easy to rent one.
If you have an IKEA bed it can be disassembled in pieces and the queen mattress should fit no problem with room to spare. Everything else can fit in the TSX.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 11:35:34 pm »
Do you have a friend with a truck?  If so, rent a trailer, have him drive you and your stuff to Toronto, and have him return the trailer.  I'm sure someone would be willing to do it in return for some cold ones.  ;)

Failing that, throw everything in the back seat and strap the mattress to the room of the TSX.  If it gets out of hand, use your left arm to hold it in place - it's a flawless plan.  :D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:07 am »
Or toss everything else on a roof rack.  :)