Author Topic: Charlie Chaplin in Winnipeg  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Charlie Chaplin in Winnipeg
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:58 pm »
Chaplin made a few appearances in Winnipeg in the 1910s when he was a touring comedian.  When in Winnipeg, he stayed at the Le Claire (new Windsor) Hotel.  As you can see in the first pic, Charlie wrote to his brother, Sid, to advise him of his signing his first movie deal.  He used the hotel's letterhead to write the letter (documented in David Robinson's book 'Chaplin: His Life, His Art').

The hotel is proud of it's Chaplin connection as shown with this mural and cutout.

The remaining pictures can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brent1210/sets/72157605005608076/

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
Re: Charlie Chaplin in Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:59:59 pm »
Is there any modern equivalent to a Charlie Chaplin (or Walt Disney, for that matter)?  :'(

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:47 pm »
Is there any modern equivalent to a Charlie Chaplin (or Walt Disney, for that matter)?  :'(

It depends on what you mean by "equivalent".  The times that produced those men are gone.

I would offer Tim Burton as a prime candidate.  Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride to name but three works.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

barrie1

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:40:39 pm »
Those are different kinds of humour in my mind in comparison to Charlie Chaplins work. He reminds me of "Red Skeleton" who I believe was the best comedian of all time and espcially with absolutely NO Smut at all as well. Chaplain was great of course but he did set standards which did rock the movie world at that time with his personal views and was Blacklisted for it unfortunately.  :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:50 pm »
Barrie...did you ever see Chaplin live??   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »
Yes, those days are over.  Chaplin was casting director, writer, producer, director, editor, composer, stunt man...he did everything.

barrie1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:56 am »
No Rrocket did you? I have seen a lot of his work tho and at the time period he was great for his antics and behavior until they branded him a Communist. He fled to Britain I believe at that point and I am not sure if he ever returned to the US afterwards.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:47:04 am »
No Rrocket did you? I have seen a lot of his work tho and at the time period he was great for his antics and behavior until they branded him a Communist. He fled to Britain I believe at that point and I am not sure if he ever returned to the US afterwards.  :)

Chaplin briefly returned to the United States in April 1972, with his wife, to receive an Honorary Oscar, and also received the longest standing ovation in Academy Award history, lasting a full five minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Pl-qvA1X8