Author Topic: Lol, which side would you side with?  (Read 7155 times)

jzmtl

Lol, which side would you side with?
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:04:58 pm »
Driver of car that struck and killed dog sues dog owners
Published: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 | 6:59 AM ET
Canadian Press: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DULUTH, Minn. - The driver of a car that struck and killed a dog in Minnesota is suing the dog's owners for damage done to his vehicle.

Jeffery Ely was driving near Duluth, Minnesota, on January 4th when Fester, a miniature pinscher, ran into the road.

Ely's 1997 Honda Civic struck Fester, killing the 5.8-kilogram dog instantly.

Now Ely is suing Fester's owners for about $1,100 for damage to his car, time he had to take off from his two jobs to get the car repaired, and court fees.

Ely tells Duluth News Tribune he feels sorry for the family's loss but feels they must be responsible for their pets' actions. He's a dog owner himself.

Fester's owners have countersued Ely, for $2,400.

People today...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Lol, which side would you side with?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:09:04 pm »
Only in the USofA.

dorin

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:14:16 pm »
I can see the driver's point in this one.

If someone lets their dog roam loose and it bites someone isn't the owner generally held liable?  It seems to me that the same principle applies here.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
I would actually side with the driver. I had this happen to a friend and she had thousands of dollars of damage done to her car after hitting two dogs on a hwy. She went back asking the owners to pay up. People should be held responsible for their animals and if they can't control them, they should then pay up. I feel only for the dog as the owners were too STUPID to keep them safe.

I've been nearly taken out or clotheslined while riding my bike from stupid dog owners too many times now.

One day while riding I happened to look back to see a beautiful German Sheppard run onto the road and get hit by a car. The owner was too busy running 100 meters ahead talking to his friend with no idea where his dog was. I rode up asking if he knew where his dog was and then told him its under that car, assclown. I really felt like driving my bike up his ass to show him how much it hurts.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:22:11 pm »
Assuming the facts were reported accurately and with no omissions, then:

Driver, no question.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:35:10 pm »
If Minn is anything like Ontario, which I'm sure it is, the law is 100% on the side of the driver/vehicle.  It's a bad scene all around, but when the dog is on the roadway it is deemed "at large" and that's a by-law infraction anywhere and the onus is not on the driver to avoid the dog.

He'll get his repair costs.  In Ontario he would not get compensated for his "time" tending to repair matters.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:55:36 pm »
I love pets, but i would side with the driver. Lets say you have a car in the driveway, the parking brake fails and your car rolls to the middle of the street and hits a passing car, isn't it your fault?
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:57:33 pm »
I would actually side with the driver. I had this happen to a friend and she had thousands of dollars of damage done to her car after hitting two dogs on a hwy. She went back asking the owners to pay up. People should be held responsible for their animals and if they can't control them, they should then pay up. I feel only for the dog as the owners were too STUPID to keep them safe.

I've been nearly taken out or clotheslined while riding my bike from stupid dog owners too many times now.

One day while riding I happened to look back to see a beautiful German Sheppard run onto the road and get hit by a car. The owner was too busy running 100 meters ahead talking to his friend with no idea where his dog was. I rode up asking if he knew where his dog was and then told him its under that car, assclown. I really felt like driving my bike up his ass to show him how much it hurts.

:iagree: Some people should not own pets….or have children.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »
 ::) wot did the neighbours say ???................oh Wolvies @ it again.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:26 pm »
I would suggest the car owner should stfu, and take his lumps; the dog owner should grieve and be more attentive with their next pet.

What if it was a kid, would the driver sue the parents of the kid?  There is such a concept as compassion and common sense.  

Some people have absolutely zero empathy.  
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 02:02:51 pm »
I would suggest the car owner should stfu, and take his lumps; the dog owner should grieve and be more attentive with their next pet.

What if it was a kid, would the driver sue the parents of the kid?  There is such a concept as compassion and common sense.  

Some people have absolutely zero empathy.  

Depends on the age of the kid

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 02:03:30 pm »
What if it was a kid, would the driver sue the parents of the kid?  There is such a concept as compassion and common sense.   

I guess the dog owner didn't have any common sense?

Accidents are caused.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 02:10:58 pm »
This is a no brainer.
Say, did the other question ever get answered by the resident legal-beagle (Jordan Charness) on riding a bicycle across a cross-walk as opposed to walking the bicycle across and if the child/adult was hit whether the driver was at fault?
I was waiting for that high-priced help to earn their wage on that one.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 02:17:21 pm »
Pets are considered property and children are not.   If your property (like your car) damaged someone else's property then there is liability. 

jzmtl

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:05 pm »
one thing I do think stupid is the $1100 damage. I looked up blackbook value of a 97 civic, it's only a bit more than that.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 02:50:37 pm »
one thing I do think stupid is the $1100 damage. I looked up blackbook value of a 97 civic, it's only a bit more than that.

What does blackbook and cost of damages have to do with each other?  :think:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 02:51:04 pm »
Pets are considered property and children are not.   If your property (like your car) damaged someone else's property then there is liability. 

Exactly. I'm a dog owner but arguments that begin "what if it was a child ..." miss the point entirely. A dog is not a child. What if the dog had been a Great Dane ...?

Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets. Dogs rely on this responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »
What if it was a moose?  Who do you sue, the DNR? The Queen? Why not accept it and get on with life, instead of always looking for someone to blame. 

To me, while I know this guy is within his legal rights, I think it reflects poorly on his character.  I'm not claiming the dog owner is innocent, I'm just suggesting that if people were a little more reasonable, the world would be a better place. 

(There actually was a case in Italy where a driver sued the parents of a deceased bicyclist for damages done to his car when he hit the guy.  Furthermore, I thought all of us self righteous types were of the opinion that parents are responsible for their children, so what's the diff?)

jzmtl

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:58 pm »

Because how could a miniature pinscher do almost as much damage as the car is worth? Let's give him $100 for time off work and court fee, that's still a grand of damage, from a dog that's size of a cat.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:20:49 pm by jzmtl »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:48 pm »

Because how could a miniature pinscher do almost as much damage as the car is worth? Let's give him $100 for time off work and court fee, that's still a grand of damage, from a dog that's size of a cat.

I'm no expert here but my first guess would be that they have to replace some parts on the car. The sum of the parts are worth more than the value of the car. This is the case for most cars that get old actually.

Auto repair is costly.