Author Topic: Movie review: Iron Man and Harold and Kumar 2  (Read 6541 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Movie review: Iron Man and Harold and Kumar 2
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:45:40 am »
Went to watch Iron Man today.

to sum up, it was a great flick.
I was a little worried because movie critics had mixed views/some heavy criticisms as well, but my worry was un-necessary.  It turns out that movie critiques write whatever comes out of their as$ using their own sense of global politics as yard sticks.

Now, the movie is great in that it features:
Gwyneth Paltro, she's great looking in this show, her role is good too.
Audis.  whole bunch of them.  they are oh so pretty.
Robert D. Junior.  he's a good actor.  talks a little too much, but he's great as main character.
Robots.  Man, what guy doesn't like robots?  a robot suit that makes you super strong? bring it on!!

I felt that this was an even better show than much vaunted "Transformers" movie.  Somehow, this movie felt more..  um..   relevant if you can call it that..  also the fighting scenes are much clearer than the heap of blurry dark picture that made up "Transformer"s.   I don't like camera shaking when it's excessive. (i.e. "Transformers" and "Batman Begins")   Which reminds me, I'm looking forward to the new Batman flick after watching the trailer in theater today..  man..  I love going to movies...

Now, onto "Harold and Kumar: escape from Guantana Mo Bay."
in short.  it wasn't as good as the first one, and was only semi funny/entertaining.  I would wait till its out on DVD to rent.

The movie's setting is supposed to be right after the first one ended, where harold and kumar are getting ready to leave for Amsterdam.
don't wanna give away the plot, so i'll stop here. :)

there are some shocking scenes, some funny moments, but the movie still utilizes the same type of comedy as its predecessor: racism, ethnic cliches and sex (lots of it) with some new attempt at political humor.   

it sort of under-delivers on all fronts..  i'm little disappointed as I'm a big fan of first one.
anywhoo..    good weekend for me.
hope you all had good weekend as well.
ciao.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Re: Movie review: Iron Man and Harold and Kumar 2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:51:33 am »

Now, onto "Harold and Kumar: escape from Guantana Mo Bay."
in short.  it wasn't as good as the first one, and was only semi funny/entertaining.  I would wait till its out on DVD to rent.

The movie's setting is supposed to be right after the first one ended, where harold and kumar are getting ready to leave for Amsterdam.
don't wanna give away the plot, so i'll stop here. :)

Thanks for the reviews.  One thing:  the "Harold and Kumar" flick is in fact number 3.  The first was called "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle", in which they set off to have a burger at a White Castle restaurant.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

dorin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:57:04 am »
Thanks for the reviews.  One thing:  the "Harold and Kumar" flick is in fact number 3.  The first was called "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle", in which they set off to have a burger at a White Castle restaurant.

Huh?  The first movie was indeed "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" but "Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay" is only the second movie not the third.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:02:02 am »

I know, but at the end of THAT white castle trip, harold kisses julia(she was a total babe in the "white castle"), julia leaves for amsterdam, and harold and kumar decides they want to go, too.  ;)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:41 pm »
I know, but at the end of THAT white castle trip, harold kisses julia(she was a total babe in the "white castle"), julia leaves for amsterdam, and harold and kumar decides they want to go, too.  ;)

Yes, and they do so in this movie, which is the second instalment, not the third.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:19:38 pm »
They are showing Speed Racer on IMAX.  Anyone plan on going?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:13 pm »
Hey BRIDGE...where ya been lately..........???.............Amsterdam...... 8) ::) :P..didn't think CHIX were allowed into Harold & Kumar moofies ..Rated NC17..no chix seriously... :stick:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 06:22:08 pm »
Hey BRIDGE...where ya been lately..........

Long story.  Glad you missed me, though.

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:36:44 pm »
Iron Man is indeed the greatest comic book adaptation done to date.

And Paltrow is smoking!

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:39:34 am »

Yes, and they do so in this movie, which is the second instalment, not the third.

Yup, my faulty memory at work.  I thought the Amsterdam trip was a movie all its own.  I never saw the movies, just the commercials and the spacing of some of them made it appear as if there had been three flicks.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 01:32:28 am »

Thats just F'en great now you have ruined the movie for me!! Anyone ever heard of ***Spoiler Allert****?

Just kidding I don't care. I think I want to see HaK II but I may wait for the DVD. Iron man on the other hand looks pretty good. The problem is that right now these movies don't really have any competition so they can shine.

As for the critics I never listen to what they have to say, me I go by the IMDB.com rating. Its more of a real word meter for the movies.

"Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" is currently rated at 7.6 meaning that it most be a half decent movie.

"Iron Man" has 8.4 meaning its a really good movie and is good enough for #99 on there top 250 movies of all time. Usually these numbers go down after the first few weeks since the fan boys have all already voted.

They must be doing something right with there rating method because its hard to argue with there top ten movies of all time.

Rank   Rating   Title   Votes
1.   9.1   The Godfather (1972)   276,200
2.   9.1   The Shawshank Redemption (1994)   326,588
3.   9.0   The Godfather: Part II (1974)   158,270
4.   8.9   Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966)   91,360
5.   8.9   Pulp Fiction (1994)   280,303
6.   8.8   Schindler's List (1993)   187,195
7.   8.8   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)   140,723
8.   8.8   Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)   197,142
9.   8.8   Casablanca (1942)   122,126
10.   8.8   Shichinin no samurai (1954)   68,528

Oh and I think speed racer is going to be a bust. Well the 14 and under crowd might like it but as soon as I watch the trailer I knew that I wouldn't be going to see it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:44:25 pm by Zombie »
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:02:30 pm »
Iron Man is indeed the greatest comic book adaptation done to date.

And Paltrow is smoking!

Saw it tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great special effects (I was reminded of RoboCop, right down to the sounds) and wonderful humour.  I've always loved Robert Downey Jr., despite his addiction issues.  He is truly a phenomenal actor - you can't take your eyes off him.

What did cast a pall was the inordinate number of moms/dads/parents with children under the age of eight in the audience.  While this is a PG movie, 2.5 hours (if you include the trailers), is far too long for kids with that (very short) attention span.  There was a lot of chatter from these kids, and shushing from the audience.  Inappropriate to bring children this young to such a showing on a Friday night, in my opinion. 

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 01:12:39 am »
I just came back from Iron Man and its was pretty good. Id give it a 7.9 out of 10.
Not as good as Batman Begins but it was up there. Plus he had all those cool cars.

Also during the movie I though of a good Halloween costume. Put one of those round push on dome lights under your shirt and presto your Tony Stark.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1928108288/tt0371746

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:48 am »
I felt that this was an even better show than much vaunted "Transformers" movie.

What are you talking about?  Transformers was terrible, and most reviews I've seen agree with my assessment.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 08:20:09 am »
What did cast a pall was the inordinate number of moms/dads/parents with children under the age of eight in the audience.  While this is a PG movie, 2.5 hours (if you include the trailers), is far too long for kids with that (very short) attention span.  There was a lot of chatter from these kids, and shushing from the audience.  Inappropriate to bring children this young to such a showing on a Friday night, in my opinion.

This is the reason I don't go to movies anymore. I can't stand the other people that go plus I find a lot of the movie theaters sub-standard in quality (loud does not make quality sound  ::)). People talking, spilling their super-duper sized drinks and the garbage people leave behind makes me want to throw up. Why can't people take their empty food/drink containers and place them in the garbage? They had no troubles carrying them when they were full.

I want to see this movie but will wait for its BD release and enjoy it at home in my personal theater and not have to watch 20 minutes of ads and previews.

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 08:52:16 am »

You're right.  Kids have no place watching a PG-rated superhero movie in the theaters.  What were those parents thinking bringing their children to such a movie?!  They should have waited to DVD to not disrupt all the adults who wanted to see Iron Man.  Those same parents are probably the ones who also ruin the quiet ambiance of ice cream parlors by bringing their rugrats instead of just picking up a pint from the grocery store and taking it home.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:56 am »
I saw it last week. Very entertaining.

Funny about Gwenyth. In some scenes she looked delicious and in some she looked like a wreak, especially the party scene where she was all dressed up but looked (to me) very disheveled (was that a wig??!).

I thought the Afghanis were really cartoony. I know we aren't supposed to think too hard, and it's a part of the mythology, but what's up with the electromagnet in the chest thingy?  ???

Nice to see Downey working, as always.

Still worthwhile, but not as good as (a lot of) other superhero films.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:34 pm »
You're right.  Kids have no place watching a PG-rated superhero movie in the theaters.  What were those parents thinking bringing their children to such a movie?!  They should have waited to DVD to not disrupt all the adults who wanted to see Iron Man.  Those same parents are probably the ones who also ruin the quiet ambiance of ice cream parlors by bringing their rugrats instead of just picking up a pint from the grocery store and taking it home.

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers.  Let me paint a better picture:  there were two families behind us with three and four year-olds who couldn't sit still by the first hour, and who kept yelling back and forth to each other.  Unacceptable behaviour in a movie theatre - sorry.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 02:35:44 pm »
That is why I go to the late night show, on a weekday. I like kids and all ... but us adults need quiet time too. This type of superheroes ain't for toddlers. Big Thumbs down for parents who brings them into the theaters.

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 02:40:45 pm »
I knew I'd ruffle some feathers.  Let me paint a better picture:  there were two families behind us with three and four year-olds who couldn't sit still by the first hour, and who kept yelling back and forth to each other.  Unacceptable behaviour in a movie theatre - sorry.

People talking through a movie is unacceptable behavior in a movie theater.  Some adults do it, some don't.  Some kids do it, some don't.  The problem is the behavior, not kids.

As for how old is old enough to see Iron Man in a movie theater?  Well, three years old, as this post states, is a very different question than eight years old, which is what your previous post complained of.  A three year old who is ready too see Iron Man in the theaters is rare, I'll agree.  An eight year old?  That's a big chunk of the target market for the movie.