Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid  (Read 9545 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:30:17 pm »

Test Drive:
2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid

2008 Chevrolet Malibu HybridThough its hybrid drive system is not quite as sophisticated as that of the Toyota Camry Hybrid or Nissan Altima Hybrid, the Chevy Malibu Hybrid "returns similar fuel economy in real-world driving," reports contributor, Laurance Yap.  

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:48:53 pm »
Camry
Fuel consumption Hybrid:
City: 5.7L/100km (50mpg(Imp))
Hwy:  5.7 L/100km (50mpg(Imp))
Malibu
Fuel consumption Hybrid:
City: 8.5L/100km (33mpg(Imp))
Hwy: 6.2L/100km (46mpg(Imp)
The Camry Hybrid has identical fuel consumption ratings for both city and hwy driving.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:51:14 pm by initial_D »

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:41:22 pm »
What's up with the city milleage of the Malibu? While this is generally good milleage for a mid size sedan it does not seem all that great for a hybrid. Is the "mild" nature of this hybrid (mild versus full hybrid) responsible for this less than stellar performance compared to other hybrids?

While I am very happy to see GM getting into hybrids I have been underwhelmed with their performance so far. The most disappointing to me have been the more recent pickups with a very "mild" hybrid application.

Frankly there really is no comparison between the Malibu hybrid and the Camry hybrid. The Camry is way more techincally advanced.

I hope that GM continues to build hybrids and gets better at the technology. Kudos for them for playing in this sandbox.

Mitlov

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 01:17:47 am »
What's up with the city milleage of the Malibu? While this is generally good milleage for a mid size sedan it does not seem all that great for a hybrid. Is the "mild" nature of this hybrid (mild versus full hybrid) responsible for this less than stellar performance compared to other hybrids?

While I am very happy to see GM getting into hybrids I have been underwhelmed with their performance so far. The most disappointing to me have been the more recent pickups with a very "mild" hybrid application.

Frankly there really is no comparison between the Malibu hybrid and the Camry hybrid. The Camry is way more techincally advanced.

I hope that GM continues to build hybrids and gets better at the technology. Kudos for them for playing in this sandbox.

"Mild" hybrids, like Honda's and GM's, never turn the gas engine off and thus don't get the stellar city fuel economy ratings of the Toyota and Ford hybrids which can turn the engine off and run purely on batteries.

Whether the real-world difference between the two systems is as big as the ratings difference is a matter of hot debate.  From what I've read, you've really got to alter your driving style and drive like a grannie to get the most out of a "full" hybrid system.  People who drive in  more traditional manner might not see the huge gap that the ratings state.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:20:43 am by Mitlov »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:44:25 am »
...you've really got to alter your driving style and drive like a grannie to get the most out of a "full" hybrid system.  People who drive in  more traditional manner might not see the huge gap that the ratings state.

Exactly.
I used to work here.

Cargeek

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:52:53 am »

"Mild" hybrids, like Honda's and GM's, never turn the gas engine off and thus don't get the stellar city fuel economy ratings of the Toyota and Ford hybrids which can turn the engine off and run purely on batteries.

Whether the real-world difference between the two systems is as big as the ratings difference is a matter of hot debate.  From what I've read, you've really got to alter your driving style and drive like a grannie to get the most out of a "full" hybrid system.  People who drive in  more traditional manner might not see the huge gap that the ratings state.

My research shows the Malibu does shut off the engine when stopped.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:16 am »

Let me clarify: the Toyota system allows you to be stopped, accelerate like a grannie up to residential speeds, cruise for a couple blocks, then come to a stop again, all without ever turning on the gas engine.  This will give much better city fuel economy numbers to the Toyota system (which is also used in the Altima).  However, that'll only happen if you, as a recent Automobile Magazine columnist said, drive like you're towing an invisible trailer full of chandeliers. 

That columnist also made the observation, which I think was only half humor, that every gallon saved by a hybrid is used up by everyone else swerving around it and gunning it because they're tired of going 15 kph under the limit  ;D

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:42:44 am »

Let me clarify: the Toyota system allows you to be stopped, accelerate like a grannie up to residential speeds, cruise for a couple blocks, then come to a stop again, all without ever turning on the gas engine.  This will give much better city fuel economy numbers to the Toyota system (which is also used in the Altima).  However, that'll only happen if you, as a recent Automobile Magazine columnist said, drive like you're towing an invisible trailer full of chandeliers. 

That columnist also made the observation, which I think was only half humor, that every gallon saved by a hybrid is used up by everyone else swerving around it and gunning it because they're tired of going 15 kph under the limit  ;D

And that's just it, isn't it? I think hybrids are great and I like driving them, but everyone would do well to adopt the driving techniques that make hybrids really effective. I wonder how expensive gas has to get before people realize that flooring it away from every stoplight or stop sign doesn't get you where you're going much quicker than driving gently and smoothly.

All this to say that I'm as guilty as anyone of, um, unnecessarily rapid rates of acceleration from time to time.  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 10:58:05 am »
And that's just it, isn't it? I think hybrids are great and I like driving them, but everyone would do well to adopt the driving techniques that make hybrids really effective. I wonder how expensive gas has to get before people realize that flooring it away from every stoplight or stop sign doesn't get you where you're going much quicker than driving gently and smoothly.

All this to say that I'm as guilty as anyone of, um, unnecessarily rapid rates of acceleration from time to time.  ;)

As for whether everyone would see significant fuel economy increases by driving like the proverbial Prius driver, I don't think it's that simple.  In a Prius, there's a magic rate of acceleration, and a magic rate of velocity, below which something special happens which dramatically increases fuel economy.  In a normal car, you save plenty of gas by driving in a "sane" manner instead of a "2 Fast 2 Furious" manner, but you're not going to save that much more gas by changing from "normal sane driving" to accelerating so slowly that you obstruct traffic.  EDIT:  I know this because I once spent two gas tanks shifting at 3000 rpm (just as my turbo is spooling) and cruising at EXACTLY the speed limit on the highway (instead of the 15 kph over I normally do).  I saw a fuel economy improvement of about 3%.  Nothing to crow about.

As for wishing everybody drove like the proverbial Prius driver, God help us if that happens.  In my opinion, when you're still 30 kph below the highway speed limit when you exit a highway on-ramp and merge onto the highway, you're a danger to yourself and others, so the last thing I want to see is EVERYBODY doing this.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:09:07 am by Mitlov »

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:17:42 pm »
It's good that GM have ventured into the Gas/Hybrid market although I wish they would enter the Diesel market as well.  Upon reading the Spec sheet on this "All-New" Malibu, I would have expected new transmission technology to be installed in this vehicle. 4-Speed Auto's are just so outdated and does not help fuel economy one bit. I am perplexed as to why GM did not install their own 5-Speed Auto or purchase CVT technology from someone like Nissan.

Overall Good work. The Malibu is a nice looking car.

Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:07:28 pm »
Perhaps but the Malibu costs $5000 less and returns equivalent results  :thumbup: BUT the trip computer spewing back useless information gets a  :thumbdown:

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:43:58 pm »
Some great comments!

I agree with the other poster about the choice of transmission in the Malibu. A CVT would be a great addition to this car and would probably help the fuel economy a bit.

Again kudos to GM for getting into the hybrid game. Perhaps with improved battery technology future hybrids will be able to go further distances and higher rates of speed before the IC powerplant kicks in (at least the versions like in the Camry, Prius, and Ford Escape hybrids).

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 10:56:12 pm »
As for whether everyone would see significant fuel economy increases by driving like the proverbial Prius driver, I don't think it's that simple.  In a Prius, there's a magic rate of acceleration, and a magic rate of velocity, below which something special happens which dramatically increases fuel economy.  In a normal car, you save plenty of gas by driving in a "sane" manner instead of a "2 Fast 2 Furious" manner, but you're not going to save that much more gas by changing from "normal sane driving" to accelerating so slowly that you obstruct traffic.  EDIT:  I know this because I once spent two gas tanks shifting at 3000 rpm (just as my turbo is spooling) and cruising at EXACTLY the speed limit on the highway (instead of the 15 kph over I normally do).  I saw a fuel economy improvement of about 3%.  Nothing to crow about.

As for wishing everybody drove like the proverbial Prius driver, God help us if that happens.  In my opinion, when you're still 30 kph below the highway speed limit when you exit a highway on-ramp and merge onto the highway, you're a danger to yourself and others, so the last thing I want to see is EVERYBODY doing this.

Good points. 8)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:54 am »
Dropping just 10km/h off the highway speed of the Forester saves about 1.3 - 1.5L/100km.  That's more than 10% when reducing your speed from 120 to 110.  It goes from the low 9's to 8.0.  Over a 1200km trip to the mountains and back, that saves 15L of fuel, or about $19.

Of course, taking the Corolla save another 2.5L/100km over the Forester's best mileage, adding another $40 in savings...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 03:37:14 pm »
..and staying in BED "SAVES" Millions................... :stick:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 09:04:08 pm »

But that's just your car.  I did similar experiment in my previous Mazda3, and that yielded almost 10% better fuel economy... 

Never done this sort of thing in the Si yet as VTEC is too addicting.  =)

msantos

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:16 pm »

Honda hybrids are not "mild".
They are called "Power Assist Hybrids" and they can run on battery power only too.

Available hybrid topologies
Full or strong hybrids:  Toyota HSD, Ford hybrids, GM's two mode systems
Power Assist hybrids:  Honda's IMA.  Civic hybrid can run on electric only
Mild hybrids: GM's BAS system (as in this Malibu and the VUE)

The GreenHybrid database will show that only 1.7 MPG separates the Prius from the Civic Hybrid in terms of fuel efficiency.