Author Topic: 2008 Mustange GT500  (Read 17153 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: 2008 Mustange GT500
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 06:05:13 pm »
I wonder what effect all of the technology in current cars will have on their "collectibility". It doesn't take much in the way of sophisticated equipment to keep a 69 Z28 or Boss 302 on the road. The same can't be said of anything currently pounding the pavement.

Diagnostic equipment comes and goes, as do the various CPUs currently in vehicles. Can you imagine the issues in trying to find specific circuit boards in 20 years time? Popular cars like the Mustang probably have a fighting chance simply due to their popularity. Rare cars now will require a great deal of time, effort and skill, not to mention deep pockets, to keep rolling.

Part of the reason the original muscle cars remain so popular, is because the cars that followed them were such utter crap. Anyone around that had to trade in their thundering Buick GSX for a FWD Skylark (or Fairmont, or Volare or first gen Accord or Crown) really had a sense of loss, and that the "good times" were over. If the next generation cars are significantly slower for fuel economy or ecological reasons, the current variety of performance cars could very well be as collectible as the GSX or Boss of the late 1960s.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 07:40:57 pm »
By 2038 a Civic Si will be a classic muscle car compared to the battery powered moped the middle class will be driving  :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:29 pm »
It doesn't take much in the way of sophisticated equipment to keep a 69 Z28 or Boss 302 on the road. The same can't be said of anything currently pounding the pavement.

Diagnostic equipment comes and goes, as do the various CPUs currently in vehicles. Can you imagine the issues in trying to find specific circuit boards in 20 years time? Popular cars like the Mustang probably have a fighting chance simply due to their popularity. Rare cars now will require a great deal of time, effort and skill, not to mention deep pockets, to keep rolling.

:fiver:

There is a certain threshold where most enthusiasts will not proceed past for owning/operating a fair weather sport car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »
B-T and Artic  you make a good point.  It won't be possible or legal to make a modern FI car back into a carburetted car when the electronics are no longer available and it would indeed be difficult to make another set of FI fit a car....  although I am sure I have seen/read about an "open source" closed loop FI system that can be programmed by the user and adapted to any car.  It would illegal to fit on any road car tho'.

It would not surprise me if the various jurisdictions around NA  suddenly got the idea that cars maybe pre 1975 ( unleaded gas and cat converters)  should no longer be allowed to be registered for the road at all.  There are not so many old car enthusiasts that would make any difference to an election.( says he cynically)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

barrie1

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 01:01:03 am »
Theres thousands more old car freaks out there then most of you realize as the Magazine Old Autos's alone has well over 40,000 subscribers in Canada alone let around the world sales market as well. This is only one of dozs of Mags dedicated to the old car market with more being published everyday as well. Yes there will be a market for certain imported vehicles but if History continues to prove out year after year like it has so far they will be rare and far between if they come from foreign Countries. The BMW is certainly a great vehicle in all its models but wether it qualifies or not in years to to come will be interesting to see. BMW is just a Brand I picked to use as a example and not as a slander to the brand of any kind at all.  I actually like some of their modles as they are well built vehicles for sure but collectable. ?????? I do about 15-20 Carshows a year with my truck and see a lot of nice toys but its extremely rare to ever see an import at almost all Carshows period in Ontario . The trend may change  but it hasen't for how many years now that some of these imported products have been here.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 01:36:16 am »
It would not surprise me if the various jurisdictions around NA  suddenly got the idea that cars maybe pre 1975 ( unleaded gas and cat converters)  should no longer be allowed to be registered for the road at all.

The Federal Government will be making an announcement on that soon.  No exceptions.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2008, 05:52:32 am »
Theres thousands more old car freaks out there then most of you realize as the Magazine Old Autos's alone has well over 40,000 subscribers in Canada alone let around the world sales market as well. This is only one of dozs of Mags dedicated to the old car market with more being published everyday as well. Yes there will be a market for certain imported vehicles but if History continues to prove out year after year like it has so far they will be rare and far between if they come from foreign Countries. The BMW is certainly a great vehicle in all its models but whether it qualifies or not in years to to come will be interesting to see. BMW is just a Brand I picked to use as a example and not as a slander to the brand of any kind at all.  I actually like some of their models as they are well built vehicles for sure but collectible. ?????? I do about 15-20 Carshows a year with my truck and see a lot of nice toys but its extremely rare to ever see an import at almost all Carshows period in Ontario . The trend may change  but it hasn't for how many years now that some of these imported products have been here.  :)
Barrie I am sure there are many MORE old car freaks than the 40,000 magazine subscribers.   BUT they are spread around within the population I betcha and nowhere are there enough of them concentrated to affect an election.  And don't forget, the reasoning the gov would use to get rid of old cars ( as licenced road vehicles) would have the support of demi-God David Suzuki and the rest of the greenies as it would be to promote clean air, lessen climate change and make the roads safe for Prius drivers  ;)

So you'd still get to take your truck to shows but it would have to go on a trailer.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:59 am »
 :)

barrie1

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:52 am »
No it will be driven on the road and there is No legislation pending to change this in any way. They brought it up around 2 years ago and  the Minister of Transportation for Ont  had over 100,000 e-mails alone let alone letters at his office. They backed off and have repealed any and all garbage to do with this. I strongely suspect most of these older vehicles when tuned up actually give better fuel milage and burn it cleaner as well then most of the newer cars as well. AS I spend a fair amount of time at many carshows in the summer I receive a lot of information on these type of topics and they are voted down very quickly as most of them do not make any sence as well .  :)

dorin

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2008, 01:07:29 am »
No it will be driven on the road and there is No legislation pending to change this in any way. They brought it up around 2 years ago and  the Minister of Transportation for Ont  had over 100,000 e-mails alone let alone letters at his office. They backed off and have repealed any and all garbage to do with this. I strongely suspect most of these older vehicles when tuned up actually give better fuel milage and burn it cleaner as well then most of the newer cars as well. AS I spend a fair amount of time at many carshows in the summer I receive a lot of information on these type of topics and they are voted down very quickly as most of them do not make any sence as well .  :)

Sometimes your suspicions are unfortunately just wrong.  There is no way that a non-catalyzed carburetted engine can possibly burn cleaner than a modern computer controlled fuel-injected engine.  Same goes for fuel consumption - modern engines will use less fuel for a given power output.  The only reason why old cars are not completely blown out of the all the time in terms of fuel consumption is that they're generally lighter than their modern counterparts.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2008, 06:04:21 am »
I agree with you, Dorin. 

Barrie.  It might well be that a restricted plate would be offered for older vehicles, like the Historic Vehicle plate maybe. So, sure you could drive to events but that would be the only on road driving allowed.

barrie1

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2008, 10:00:20 pm »
A restrictor plate has only been used for high end racing as the cars were going too fast on some tracks and flying off into the crowds or non-track area's. They have 000 to do with emmisions at all. Each Province has its own regulations which run the rules for them and not the Feds at all. I already know 5 years from now or more I will still be driving my truck to and from any and all events I wish to attend in Canada. A Historical Vehicle plate is entirely different and and can be applied for after a vehicle is a certain age. There is absolutely 00000000 this much in common with a Restrictor plate in comparison as well as they both have entirely different meanings and uses. NO similarity of any kind other then the word plate behind them.   Fanshawe College did a test a few years ago on a older Chevie with a carbed 6 cylinder engine versus a newer import car with fuel injection. After a tuneup both were put on a Scope and the fuel milage was recorded while they were run on a Dyno. The Chevie gave the better of the 2 milage figures as well as a cleaner burning exhaust as well. THere are many variables as to why one vehicle gets better milage over another one but don't ever think because its newer its going to be automatically better as that isen't always the case at all. A heritage plate is just a way to register a old car or truck for a reduced rate but you cannot legally drive it everyday on the roads at all or do any heavy alterations as well. You cannot even change the wheels to a mag type as its not legal on a Heritage vehicle let alone the engine or trim line any body parts as well.  :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2008, 10:08:26 pm »
Looks like some people need to understand the difference between "restrictor" plates and "restricted" plates..................... ::) ::) :P :D

Might as well talk about "dinner" plates.. ;) ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

barrie1

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »
The restricted plates probably vary from each province as to their meaning or how much meaning they allow. In Ont I do know that they are only for older vehicles which are only driven one day a week supposively and thats to a show or car event generally. There'e even limitations on what you can alter on the vehicle when you register with one of these. Totally limits the usage of the vehicle. Even the farmers can have a farm vehicle which they use under a Farm Plate which only allows them to be driven on a road one day a week but we all know better then that of course. From what I see this is a greatly abused area with both the resticted plates as well as the farm plates also. I pay for full year plates so that I do not have any problems at all with my vehicle as its fully legal at all times. As it never came with cats on the exhaust it dosen't have them and won't ever as well. Was it not the Vice Pres of Ford who tried to jam a suggestion thru about vehicles when they hit 10 years of age that they be scraped just a few years ago? It didn't sit well with the Motoring public at all I well remember. I cannot see just how any Gov can justify that any vehicle that still pass's safety and has always met our safety laws as well as its original air quality laws can be ordered off of the roads. There's too many of them with the collector Hobby industry being worth Millions of dollars every year in Canada alone. The Gov has been forced to back down numerious times already and will have to again from the protests that will occur like just last year alone. The collector car people are a well organized bunch and have been for many years as we have seen this nonsence coming for a long time now. Most of the older vehicles are kept in better shape then any or most 3 year old vehicles of to-day as it is. With the average car of to-day doing around for example 10-15,000 miles a year they usually need some work done by the end of the 3rd year mark . May only be the front brakes but the older cars are generally better kept and in much cleaner shape as well. Usually owners of older vhicles do take a lot of pride in them and do keep them up very religiously as well.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2008, 03:20:33 pm »
..eating OFF these would restrict MY appetite....... :hurl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »
..eating OFF these would restrict MY appetite....... :hurl:

I prefer to eat off of teutonic plates....as long as they don't shift too much :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2008, 05:45:24 pm »
^^^^That would be tectonic plate, no?

Or were you referring to German dinnerware?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »
rrocket,

:rofl:

You are most correct tectonic....English is not my mother tongue.  Although, I like the idea of German dinnerware, unless they're the plates that saf posted :rofl2:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:59:14 pm by Rampage »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2008, 06:00:01 pm »
What is your mother tongue?

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile