Author Topic: 2008 Mustange GT500  (Read 17147 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Mustange GT500
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 12:46:02 am »
Yeah, whatever you say.  ::)   You'll find VW Beetle fanatics who'll pay big money for an original, too.  That don't mean a new Beetle is going to be a sought after car.  If it makes you happy, you believe whatever you like.
[/quote]

Gee thanks  I will. :)

And @ rrocket, feel better now ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:20 am »

And @ rrocket, feel better now ???

I don't know about better...but wow...heavy pigs.  I was reviewing spec to confirm it was a 6 bolt main and saw the weight. It made my eyes go  :o
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 02:42:15 am »
None of those cars you mention are a Shelby, its as simple as that.
Also Mr.Shelby is not going to around too much longer, hence no more legendary Shelby's will be built. So regardless of what you think of the current Shelby, they will be a much sot after vehicle, and will gain in value, as long as the car is kept original.

Your kidding right!! Come on were not talking about the 67 Shelby GT500 here this is just a supped up mustang. There will be other mustangs there will be better mustangs. Its not hard to drop in a supercharger, 6 spd, bigger breaks and throw on some emblems.
Don't get me wrong the the Shelby GT500 is a sweet car but 500hp supercharged mustangs are everywhere these days.

This is a classic car.

This is a nice car but will never be a classic.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:46 am »
^^^^Did you see the price they are asking for the new GT500KR?  $80,000 CDN.  Ouch!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:11 am »
None of those cars you mention are a Shelby, its as simple as that.
Also Mr.Shelby is not going to around too much longer, hence no more legendary Shelby's will be built. So regardless of what you think of the current Shelby, they will be a much sot after vehicle, and will gain in value, as long as the car is kept original.

Your kidding right!! Come on were not talking about the 67 Shelby GT500 here this is just a supped up mustang. There will be other mustangs there will be better mustangs. Its not hard to drop in a supercharger, 6 spd, bigger breaks and throw on some emblems.
Don't get me wrong the the Shelby GT500 is a sweet car but 500hp supercharged mustangs are everywhere these days.

This is a classic car.

This is a nice car but will never be a classic.

We can argue until the cows come home, fact is the Mustang Shelby GT500 is a collector car and will be a classic.
It's easily the most powerful and best-performing factory Mustang ever built. Whether this is meaningful to you or me is out of our hands, Mustang Shelby fans will make it so, and they don't give a rats ass what you or I think about it.

dorin

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 09:20:51 am »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

???  Maybe we have different definitions of "on-the-road" pricing.  What I mean is the price required to drive away in the car with everything included (yes, even taxes).  I'm certain that is not what's advertised in Ontario and I don't seem to remember it being advertised that way in Alberta either.

You are absolutely right. Dealers are required to advertise prices that include everything but taxes. But your concern wasn't taxes anyway, was it?

No, my main concern is PDI and other sundry dealer fees, although I think taxes should be included too.  Those dealer are definitely either not advertised or hidden in some seriously tiny print in all the ads I've ever seen.  And no, hiding fees in the middle of some very tiny print does not qualify as "included in the advertised price" in my books.

Mitlov

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 09:52:30 am »
We can argue until the cows come home, fact is the Mustang Shelby GT500 is a collector car and will be a classic.
It's easily the most powerful and best-performing factory Mustang ever built. Whether this is meaningful to you or me is out of our hands, Mustang Shelby fans will make it so, and they don't give a rats ass what you or I think about it.

The retro craze hasn't been around long enough for us to see if a retro-styled car can ever actually be a classic in its own right.  The Austin Mini Coopers are now classic cars, but will BMW's new Mini be considered a classic in its own right thirty years from now?  There's a cult around well-preserved VW Bugs, but will there be a cult surrounding the Golf-based New Beetle thirty years from now?  While the retro styling of the 2007+ GT500 may help sales today, I can't help but wonder if it would damage the car's popularity in 2038.

xviper

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 11:20:23 am »
Let the boy have his day dreams.  As soon as he used the word "fact" for some slight possible future event that won't happen for years if it ever happens at all, that's when his fanaticism came through.  You can't reason or have a discussion with a fanatic.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:10 am »

The retro craze hasn't been around long enough for us to see if a retro-styled car can ever actually be a classic in its own right.  The Austin Mini Coopers are now classic cars, but will BMW's new Mini be considered a classic in its own right thirty years from now?  There's a cult around well-preserved VW Bugs, but will there be a cult surrounding the Golf-based New Beetle thirty years from now?  While the retro styling of the 2007+ GT500 may help sales today, I can't help but wonder if it would damage the car's popularity in 2038.

IMO Mitlov is right - I seriously doubt that today's "retro" cars will become classics in 30 years time. The reason is that these cars are very desirable today because those of us who remember them fondly from our youth are now 50 or 60 yrs old, and have disposable income to burn on such "momentos from the past", or "grasping for lost youth" if you prefer.  :) I suggest tomorrow's classic cars will be the ones that the youth of today lust after, so that when they are 50 yrs old, they will look back fondly on such cars. What are these cars? Likely the import sport compacts of today such as Civic Si.

I really don't think a Shelby KR500 will appeal to 50 year olds in 2038......but who really knows??
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 11:47:36 am »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

???  Maybe we have different definitions of "on-the-road" pricing.  What I mean is the price required to drive away in the car with everything included (yes, even taxes).  I'm certain that is not what's advertised in Ontario and I don't seem to remember it being advertised that way in Alberta either.

You are absolutely right. Dealers are required to advertise prices that include everything but taxes. But your concern wasn't taxes anyway, was it?

No, my main concern is PDI and other sundry dealer fees, although I think taxes should be included too.  Those dealer are definitely either not advertised or hidden in some seriously tiny print in all the ads I've ever seen.  And no, hiding fees in the middle of some very tiny print does not qualify as "included in the advertised price" in my books.

Here is what is required in Alberta:

(l)    includes in the advertised price for any vehicle the total cost of the vehicle, including, but not limited to, all fees and charges such as the cost of accessories, optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle, transportation charges and any applicable taxes or administration fees, but not including GST or costs and charges associated with financing...

This information is readily available to consumers at www.amvic.org. As I've mentioned before, AMVIC has told me that the only people that ever complain about advertising are other car salespeople and AMVIC apparently doesn't have the resources to study every car ad in the province every day. Maybe if consumers showed a little less apathy about advertising and actually took the time to register complaints rather that just enjoying forum moaning about it, change might actually happen quicker.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 12:15:59 pm »
I do not doubt there will be people whom have no idea what a Mustang Shelby is/was in 2038.
But to say that Mustang Shelby fanatics will no longer exist IMO is naive.

BTW xviper, I have no desires or fantasies of owning a Mustang Shelby, American muscle cars were never my thing.

I realize this is a silly place to discuss an issue such as the fate of Mustang Shelby current cars, and understand that it is irrelevant to people who are not Mustang Shelby fanatics, myself included.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
I think an American muscle car with a limited run like the GT500KR will always find an audience especially one that survives 30 years.
We can only speculate what the rich fat bald guy will blow his money on to recapture his youth in 2038.... ;D

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 01:21:34 pm »
The whole issue that the car's value in 30 years will be high or low is irrelevant to why GT500s have been fetching more than MSRP. People are paying the money because they want to own them and drive them now. With very few exceptions, the people I've seen buy these cars are generally 40+ year old successful business people that have reached the stage in their life where they have the cash to purchase things they enjoy. The actual buyers of these cars are not idiotic enough to spend $60,000 now in the hopes that the car will have gained value in 30 years. That type of thinking is usually the domain of those that don't and probably will never have the means to buy one.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:00:20 pm by Cord »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 02:17:02 pm »
there won't be any Fat Rich BALD guys in  2038..............Growth Hormone in yer Rice Krispies,Dorin as Prime Minister :stick:, and Free "Plugs" on demand................ 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
I agree with Mitlov and ovr50.  The ridiculous prices that vintage "classic" muscle cars are fetching are a direct result of baby boomers with money to burn.  Trying to capture a piece of their youth now that they have the money to buy it.  

I severly doubt ANY of the current mustangs/camaros/challengers/whatever will ever rise in value and become "collectibles".  But what do I know.

Going even further, I'd suggest you'll find VERY few cars actually appreciate in value at ALL in the future.  The younger generation (say under 40) seems to have less and less interest in collectibles/antiques/"old stuff in general" than any generation before.  In addition, considering how quickly technological advances are made these days and the rising costs of fuel, don't be surprised if today's cars are completely 'unstreetable' by 2025 or so.

Maybe someone will want to park an '07 Mustang GT500 in his living room in 2040.  But that collectible loses some of it's appeal if driving it isn't even an option for the buyer (whether or not he ever would).    

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 03:12:49 pm »
I disagree CARS will still be with us then and it only takes a few thousand folk to want a different TOY to make a statement.........like ART......crap gets sold fer Millions all the time.....Barnum was and is and will forever be RIGHT........

saw a show on Speed last night...basically a drifter Pro Racer conning rich guys into a ride in their NEW toys ya Know a $700,000 Konigs whatever......an Ariel Atom....and some other overpriced TAT...based on their 0-60 times...............plus ca change....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:15:24 pm by safristi »

barrie1

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 06:20:18 pm »
I find it strange that even BMW which has some very powerful cars sell well even tho the prices are extremely high. I use BMW as a example only as there are many others who charge that much for their cars but they will never really be collectible models at all but at least this Mustange does have a chance to be. If they have gone to 6 bolt mains its because they had to in order to keep the bottom end in place under the Ford blocks as that has always been a weak spot for them since the mid 50's and the Y block design. Chevies can do it with only 4 bolts and not have hardly any problems ever.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:31:10 am by barrie1 »

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:55 pm »
off topic here ...

The Show is Supercars Exposed, on SpeedTV & HD. I watch it regularly.

Here is a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LTbENOt5k

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »
It's OK...but for being a motorsport racer, Foust sure comes across as an airhead quite often...LOL

He's been busted 2X for speeding on that show already.  LOL.....

When he dressed up like Agent 007 to drive the Aston Martin was pretty corny...as was the time he trying to be an exotic car salesman....

But not bad to watch when nothing else car related is on....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:30:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39:13 am »
I find it strange that even BMW which has some very powerful cars sell well even tho the prices are extremely high. I uyse BMW as a example omly as there are many others who chargwe that much for their cars but they will never really be collectible models at all but at least this Mustange does have a chance to be. If they have gone to 6 bolt mains its because they had to in order to keep the bottom end in place inder the Ford blocks as that has always been a weak spot for them since the mid 50's and the Y block design. Chevies can do it with only 4 bolts and not have hardly any problems ever.  :)

By what logic does the Mustang qualify as a "possible collectible" while BMWs don't?  Is it because 40-yr old Mustangs are CURRENTLY selling as collectibles? 

Again, those mustangs are selling for high prices b/c the 50+ folks of today can identify with those cars from their youth.  I'd say BMWs have a MUCH greater appeal (even with youth) today than current-gen Mustangs.  They make +250,000 Mustangs a year now!!  It's the Hertz special! :P

I'd wager the current M3/M5/M6 cars have greater potential as collectibles than any mustang editions do (although still very slim).