Author Topic: 2008 Mustange GT500  (Read 17161 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Mustange GT500
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 04:20:59 pm »
With these low production numbers and a large pool of Shelby consumers, is a guarantee of appreciation.

"Appreciation" is an illusion until it can be proven.
Remember the Corvette ZR-1?  It was supposed to "appreciate".  How much are they worth now?
Remember when the Viper first came out?  They were supposed to "appreciate".  Where are they now?
BTW, I owned them both.

Remember that last rendition of the Ford T-Bird.  Yup, same hype when they came out.  Where are they now?  People around here won't even touch those in the used marketplace with a 10 foot barge pole.

As great as the new Mustang 500 is, it ain't no '66, '67 fastback (which I also owned and wish I still had).  It's just not that special.

None of those cars you mention are a Shelby, its as simple as that.
Also Mr.Shelby is not going to around too much longer, hence no more legendary Shelby's will be built. So regardless of what you think of the current Shelby, they will be a much sot after vehicle, and will gain in value, as long as the car is kept original.

dorin

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 04:47:34 pm »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

???  Maybe we have different definitions of "on-the-road" pricing.  What I mean is the price required to drive away in the car with everything included (yes, even taxes).  I'm certain that is not what's advertised in Ontario and I don't seem to remember it being advertised that way in Alberta either.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 04:57:45 pm »
Sorry, but car dealers and car salesmen aren't held in high esteem in my books.  Your assurances don't mean much to me. 

Sounds like the way I feel about Viper drivers. But I won't hold that against you. :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 05:01:41 pm »
Wow...all very surprising to me.  There was 8 Shelbys on the lot here and Windsor and they weren't selling.  The salesman said they were hoping to get rid of them by dealer trade.

And I don't think they'll be worth much more.  There was a time when the Shelby name went on a very few select cars.  But in recent years Shelby has pretty much whored his name out on anything he could get paid for.....

(Hmmm...think those Shelby Daytonas or Shelby Chargers from the 80's are sought after collector cars just because they had a Shelby sticker on it??)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 05:02:24 pm »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

???  Maybe we have different definitions of "on-the-road" pricing.  What I mean is the price required to drive away in the car with everything included (yes, even taxes).  I'm certain that is not what's advertised in Ontario and I don't seem to remember it being advertised that way in Alberta either.

You are absolutely right. Dealers are required to advertise prices that include everything but taxes. But your concern wasn't taxes anyway, was it?

xviper

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:18 pm »
With these low production numbers and a large pool of Shelby consumers, is a guarantee of appreciation.

Remember the Corvette ZR-1?  It was supposed to "appreciate".  How much are they worth now?
Remember when the Viper first came out?  They were supposed to "appreciate".  Where are they now?
BTW, I owned them both.

Remember that last rendition of the Ford T-Bird.  Yup, same hype when they came out.  Where are they now?  People around here won't even touch those in the used marketplace with a 10 foot barge pole.

As great as the new Mustang 500 is, it ain't no '66, '67 fastback (which I also owned and wish I still had).  It's just not that special.

Also Mr.Shelby is not going to around too much longer, hence no more legendary Shelby's will be built. So regardless of what you think of the current Shelby, they will be a much sot after vehicle, and will gain in value, as long as the car is kept original.
I wish you great happiness in your delusion.
Here is a Shelby car .............................
http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKK47P4Z8CC055

Here is another:

And another:

And gosh, what's this?  A "Shelby" Dakota:

Simple, isn't it?  Let the back tracking begin.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:29:11 pm by xviper »

xviper

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 05:28:14 pm »
Sorry, but car dealers and car salesmen aren't held in high esteem in my books.  Your assurances don't mean much to me. 

Sounds like the way I feel about Viper drivers. But I won't hold that against you. :)
Too bad I don't drive a Viper anymore.  How naive and fundamentally flawed of you to relate the character of a person to what automobile he drives.  I've owned and driven almost every brand of car sold in N. America.  Based on your attitude towards me, I guess you feel the same way about all car drivers then, huh?  Besides, you actually think that I care what a car salesman says?  You don't exactly occupy a profession that is high on the list of social opinion or acceptance.  In fact, the worse a car salesman thinks of me, the better my standing is in the real community.  So, thanks for your endorsement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 05:35:16 pm »
My close friend Ray has a Viper.  That thing BBQs my leg everytime I drive it.  And I mean from the INSIDE...the tunnel specifically.  Was that a normal flaw of that car? (While we're on the subject of Vipers) :)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 05:48:46 pm »

Too bad I don't drive a Viper anymore.  How naive and fundamentally flawed of you to relate the character of a person to what automobile he drives.  I've owned and driven almost every brand of car sold in N. America.  Based on your attitude towards me, I guess you feel the same way about all car drivers then, huh?  Besides, you actually think that I care what a car salesman says?  You don't exactly occupy a profession that is high on the list of social opinion or acceptance.  In fact, the worse a car salesman thinks of me, the better my standing is in the real community.  So, thanks for your endorsement.

So despite the smiley in my response you take it to heart and go off the deep end. Oh well.

xviper

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 06:33:32 pm »
My close friend Ray has a Viper.  That thing BBQs my leg everytime I drive it.  And I mean from the INSIDE...the tunnel specifically.  Was that a normal flaw of that car? (While we're on the subject of Vipers) :)
The early Vipers (like mine) were all like that.  In addition to the sidepipes being where they were, the heat insulation in the tranny tunnel was a joke.  I loved my Viper, but man, what a useless car.  Couldn't carry anything.  Couldn't drive it in winter.  Couldn't park it anywhere without new paw prints all over it.  Couldn't drive anywhere without the police watching you.  Oh, and some of the early ones had flawed fiberglass sealer in the hood.  It could never be 100% fixed.  A new hood was a $13,000.00 touch.  Luckily, it was warrantied.
Sorry, we digress.  No more talk of Vipers, car salesmen or appreciation (after my response to Cord).

So despite the smiley in my response you take it to heart and go off the deep end. Oh well.
Perhaps I did and admit I should have toned it down a bit.  Let me explain ....  In my lifetime, I have purchased 33 new vehicles.  In all of those purchases, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2, the salesmen involved attempted to lie, deceive, and exaggerate to get the sale.  In some cases, I was outright cheated.  And in a couple of instances, I was stupid enough to send them referrals and those people, too, were lied to and deceived and ended up with a disappointing sales experience.  As you can see, smilie or no smilie, I wasn't in the mood to take your comment kindly.
Perhaps you are a better example of your trade.  I have 2 friends who are new car sales managers.  They tell me things about their business that would curl most people's hair.  I wasn't at all surprised.  This doesn't mean they aren't my friends.  Only when they put on their car sales "hat", that I can't believe a word they say.  Maybe you'll prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:05:23 pm by xviper »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 08:48:18 pm »
Perhaps I did and admit I should have toned it down a bit.  Let me explain ....

It's alright. Everybody has bad day now and then. Hope you have a better one tomorrow.

Only when they put on their car sales "hat", that I can't believe a word they say.  Maybe you'll prove me wrong.

Just as long as you understand that I'm not here as a representative of my occupation any more than you represent yours. I have no intention of "proving" anything to anyone here. I really don't care what you think of me.

BTW, I don't expect you to prove me wrong about how I think of (ex-) Viper drivers either. :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 09:19:56 pm »
....  In my lifetime, I have purchased 33 new vehicles.

Man, you've provided a good living for a bunch of car salesmen.  Perhaps, if you truly didn't like them, you wouldn't use their services so often?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 10:14:48 pm »
xviper - "Perhaps I did and admit I should have toned it down a bit.  Let me explain ....  In my lifetime, I have purchased 33 new vehicles.  In all of those purchases, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2, the salesmen involved attempted to lie, deceive, and exaggerate to get the sale."

Well, 33 is a meaningful number, but no cigar xviper. Currently on #56 or so. And I must have dealt a whole lot of different places than you did as I can only think of maybe 5 or 6 times that I was deceived or lied to. Dunno?? I usually know exactly what I want and I usually know a lot about the proposed buy so I tend not to get deceived easily. I also know a fair amount about prices before I buy. I ALSO believe that a dealership has to make a "fair profit" on the sale (not huge or exorbitant) but I do not try to get the vehicle for $50 over true cost.

As I said already, dunno??  ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:23 pm »

Well, 33 is a meaningful number, but no cigar xviper. Currently on #56 or so.

Yea..but you're ancient.  ;D  Your first car was the one they drove on the Flintstones, no??   :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 10:51:20 pm »

Yes.  Every Viper review I've ever read basically warned you to wear chaps while you drive.

Apparently you can also destroy the transmission by habitually resting your hand on the gearshift knob while driving, which is one of the most bizarre design oversights I've ever heard of.

Corvette Z06 Nissan GTR FTW  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:53:33 pm by Mitlov »

barrie1

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
I think I've built that many Toy Cars over the years as I never buy new ones for me when I can build my own engines, trannies and rear ends. I've even gone into a wreckers just to buy a older car body that was still in good shape to put a engine into for the fun of it. To me they always seem to run better when I build my own.  Yes it is that black engine shown earlier with the 32 valve V8 under the hood of that car. I wonder just how strong the rear mains are in this series of Ford Blocks as that always been their weakness in my mind. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:32:14 pm by barrie1 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 11:41:18 pm »
I think I've built that many Toy Cars over the years as I never buy new ones for me when I can build my own engines, trannies and rear ends. I've even gone into a wreckers just to buy a older car body that was still in good shape to put a engine into for the fun of it. To me they always seem to run better when I build my own.  Yes it is that black engine shown earlier with the 32 valve V8 under the hood of that car. I wonder just how strong the rear mains are in this series of Ford Blocks as that always been their weakness in my mind. :)

Barrie....IIRC that Ford engine has 6 bolt mains...

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 12:28:10 am »

BTW, I owned them both.

I wish you great happiness in your delusion.
Simple, isn't it?  Let the back tracking begin.

Not to worry, I have no delusions.
Its just a fact that there is a Mustang Shelby cult who pay big money for these cars.
I'd say if you doubt this fact it is your delusion.

xviper

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 12:35:01 am »
Not to worry, I have no delusions.
Its just a fact that there is a Mustang Shelby cult who pay big money for these cars.
I'd say if you doubt this fact it is your delusion.
Yeah, whatever you say.  ::)   You'll find VW Beetle fanatics who'll pay big money for an original, too.  That don't mean a new Beetle is going to be a sought after car.  If it makes you happy, you believe whatever you like.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 12:42:53 am »
I guess while we are on the subject......that GT500 is a fat bastard, eh?  3900+ pounds!!  WOW!