Author Topic: 2008 Mustange GT500  (Read 17136 times)

barrie1

2008 Mustange GT500
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »
I was over visiting a friend last night when a mutual friend showed up with his sisters New GT500 in the red colour. This was a really sweet machine and is only NO. 8 in Canada so far. The owner has been offered a substantail profit already to sell this machine with only 3000 Klms on it so far. This car has the Black Leather interior with the 6pd tranny. Seems to have all the bells and whistles on the option package including the Turbo Charger on top of the 5.4 engine. Looks quick even under the hood.  :)

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Mustange GT500
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
I'll assume pictures are on their way?  ;D

It looks pretty sweet.

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:36:27 pm »
No unfortunately this was totally unexpected and we were caught off gaurd for her showing up with the car. Definitely a heavy sounding beast for sure. Pretty sure she took off in 2nd or even 3rd gear when she left. the roads were somewhat wet here as it was sprinkling rain at the time. Has the Cobra Emblems in a lot of places as well which are very tastefully done. The back seat sure looks really small for any adults. Maybe just throw them in food once a week or something is the thought? The Red Colour didn't really shine very much as well and was of a different shade from any I have ever seen before as well.  I would like to see what else they have for colours.  :)

xviper

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:14:20 am »
Turbo Charger on top of the 5.4 engine.
Turbo?  Or supercharger?  A friend's brother has a Ford GT and I think it has the same motor as in the Mustang GT500.  It looked like a "blower" under the lid.
Did it kinda look like this? ..............................
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:20:43 am by xviper »

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:37:54 pm »
Seems to have all the bells and whistles on the option package including the Turbo Charger on top of the 5.4 engine. Looks quick even under the hood.  :)

The GT500 is supercharged, not turbocharged.  And it's standard equipment on the GT500, not an option.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:50:20 pm »
Correct, it is supercharged, not turbocharged. Big difference.

And there are way more than 8 in Canada, I have seen at least 5 different ones here in Kelowna alone.

::) ::)

Back seat? As if a Camaro or a Challenger or any other of this type of car has a respectable back seat.

Good grief....
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

xviper

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:58:37 pm »
And there are way more than 8 in Canada, I have seen at least 5 different ones here in Kelowna alone.
I think this is another one of those sleez bag car salesmen pitches to set the hook in a would be buyer.  Make the car sound like it's way more "special" than it really is so the buyer/new owner feels like he/she got a great deal at MSRP+.

"Yup!  I've got the only one around these here parts.  You'd have to go 3 provinces over to see another one.  Lucky, too - I paid just over retail to steal it away from that other guy who was bidding on it." :-*

When my daughter bought her Mustang, the salesman "invited" me to participate in the bidding for their "very rare, only one they'll get, so don't miss out" Ford GT.  Yeah, OK.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:00:33 pm by xviper »

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »
No that is not even close to the engine design at all. Could be the same block maybe but not the top end at all. It is not a Convertible at all but the Hrdtp with a really small back seat just like all of these vehicles always have been. That goes for the Camaro's and Chargers as well of the original vintages. This has a belt driven pully coming off the Black unit on top which is only half the size of that chrome type of appliance shown in your picture but it definitely fills the hole under the hood for sure. Gonna be a nightmare to work under there with everything so crammed. Glad I don't work full time at this stuff anymore.  :)

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:45 pm »
I think it looked more like this...

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:17:18 am »
This is the engine of the current Shelby GT500:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:17:27 pm »
I think this is another one of those sleez bag car salesmen pitches to set the hook in a would be buyer.  Make the car sound like it's way more "special" than it really is so the buyer/new owner feels like he/she got a great deal at MSRP+.

"Yup!  I've got the only one around these here parts.  You'd have to go 3 provinces over to see another one.  Lucky, too - I paid just over retail to steal it away from that other guy who was bidding on it." :-*

When my daughter bought her Mustang, the salesman "invited" me to participate in the bidding for their "very rare, only one they'll get, so don't miss out" Ford GT.  Yeah, OK.   ::)

I'm pretty sure that owners get a package sent to them by SVT detailing the production number of their car. Perhaps that what was being referred to. Also, it is pretty easy for a dealer to look on the computer and see how many are for sale. Perhaps when this one was purchased it was one of the first eight available. Who knows? For those claiming to have seen many GT500's are you sure that you are seeing 08's or 07's? Many of these cars have been brought up from the U.S. as well.

And yes there was bidding on the initial GTs and on last year's GT500s. Many GTs sold for $40,000-$50,000 over MSRP and most GTT500's sold for $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP. Before anyone starts whining about dealer gouging, etc., I personally talked to people who said, "How much do I have to pay to guarantee that I get one of these cars?"

The market for GT500's has settled down quite a bit this year. MSRP to $10,000 over seems to be the going rate.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

xviper

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »
And yes there was bidding on the initial GTs and on last year's GT500s. Many GTs sold for $40,000-$50,000 over MSRP and most GTT500's sold for $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP. Before anyone starts whining about dealer gouging, etc., I personally talked to people who said, "How much do I have to pay to guarantee that I get one of these cars?"

The market for GT500's has settled down quite a bit this year. MSRP to $10,000 over seems to be the going rate.
Then many people got taken.  You know what they say about a fool and his money ...........................
The guy who owns that GT in my picture? .............................. Yup, the dealer tried that same crap about putting in his bid so he could get the car and be one of the first in Calgary to own one.  When my friend's brother laughed and started to walk out (the dealer knew him to be well off), the salesman started to sweat as his next big commission was going out the door.  "If you can get if for MSRP, will you take it?"  Well, he took it.  Some bidding war, huh?  If the guy had the time, he would have haggled for less.  He went in with MSRP as his final figure.  He got what he wanted and he bought it.
Another example......  At a time when Dodge Vipers first came out, there were "stories" of people paying $60K OVER MSRP to have the privilege of being one of the first to own one.  At that time, they were going for MSRP of $99,000.00.  I picked mine up for $65,000.00 plus tax.
Car sales people would love to make you THINK they've got something you really want and need and they harp on that one obscure story about "so n so" who paid "such n such" for theirs.  I won't believe that an isolated story applies to the general trend.  $10K OVER for a GT?  Are people really that stupid?

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:02:16 pm »
Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.
Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque.

My brothers is #10 in Canada for MY2007.
The production run for MY2007 in Canada was 405
There are 27 SVT dealers across Canada and each dealer was supposed to get 15 units.

If anyone ever gets a chance to drive one of these monster, go for it.  :)

For the posters who doubt that there are people out there that would pay two times the MSRP for the GT500, it is a reality and you do not understand the Shelby cult .

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:09:34 pm by MKII »

xviper

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »
For the posters who doubt that there are people out there that would pay two times the MSRP for the GT500, it is a reality.
I never doubted their existence.  I doubt their sanity and I doubt that there are as many as people seem to believe.  I may be wrong about this, but it's my belief.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:06 pm »
I won't believe that an isolated story applies to the general trend.

I can assure you it is much more than isolated stories. At our store we had 110 people express enough interest in the 15 2007 GT500s we were getting that they wanted to be put on a call back list. This was before we knew pricing or allocation of these cars. Once we knew how many cars would available we called the those 110 back and told them that everyone that gave a $5000 refundable deposit would be put into a random draw to buy one at the price that was now fixed. 34 people put up deposits to get into the draw for 15 cars. It was during this stage that 3 people offered to pay extra to guarantee they received a car. These people ended up paying anextra $10,000 premium to guarantee a car. From what I've heard, this scenario was repeated at dealers all over the country.

Now, people can argue all day long about whether any given car is worth $XX,XXX but the bottom line is that the people that actually paid the money obviously thought it was. And really that's all that matters. All the rest is just conversation.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:32:13 pm by Cord »

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 03:35:38 pm »
As I understand total production units for MY2007 Shelby GT500 was 5,763.
For MY2008 only 2,300.
No Shelby GT500 production for MY2009.

With these low production numbers and a large pool of Shelby consumers, is a guarantee of appreciation.

dorin

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:50 pm »
Maybe surprisingly I have no problem with people willingly paying over MSRP in order to guarantee being the first to have a certain car.  Those people know what they are doing and are doing so willingly.  I don't even have much of a problem with the price differential in Canada vs. the US as long as there are no unreasonable barriers to people bringing their cars in from outside the country.

What irks me are all the additional fees tacked on to a car purchase.  If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

xviper

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »
With these low production numbers and a large pool of Shelby consumers, is a guarantee of appreciation.

"Appreciation" is an illusion until it can be proven.
Remember the Corvette ZR-1?  It was supposed to "appreciate".  How much are they worth now?
Remember when the Viper first came out?  They were supposed to "appreciate".  Where are they now?
BTW, I owned them both.

Remember that last rendition of the Ford T-Bird.  Yup, same hype when they came out.  Where are they now?  People around here won't even touch those in the used marketplace with a 10 foot barge pole.

As great as the new Mustang 500 is, it ain't no '66, '67 fastback (which I also owned and wish I still had).  It's just not that special.

xviper

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 04:06:46 pm »
If dealers all advertised on-the-road prices with no additional fees then I'd be a pretty happy automobile consumer.

That is the law in Alberta and quite sure it is the same in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.
This is news to me.  Why, only a few years ago, a local Nissan dealer was busted by a CTV consumer program on national TV for doing just that.  Every year we hear of similar tactics committed by car dealers all across Canada.
Sorry, but car dealers and car salesmen aren't held in high esteem in my books.  Your assurances don't mean much to me.