Author Topic: Anyone been to Cuba lately?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Anyone been to Cuba lately?
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:26:11 am »
If so what were your likes/dislikes and where did you stay?
Thanks
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Anyone been to Cuba lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »
I recently went in on a Havana timeshare.  Yet to actually see it first hand.  Sales guy said inside was nothing like the outside.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:39:28 am »
what time of the years are you going?
Do want hot  or warm temps?
Are you taking your kids? or want adults only?
Are you looking a for cheap trip? or spend some cash
Sit back and veg, or to see a lot of things?
also try http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/

http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/cuba/cuba.html

Cayco Lago is you want to veg, beautiful white beach
http://www.cayolargo.net/introduction.htm

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:56:48 am »
I recently went in on a Havana timeshare.  Yet to actually see it first hand.  Sales guy said inside was nothing like the outside.

Ah....Steve, is there a cooling off period you can take advantage of?   ;D :o

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:18:09 pm »
what time of the years are you going?
Do want hot  or warm temps?
Are you taking your kids? or want adults only?
Are you looking a for cheap trip? or spend some cash
Sit back and veg, or to see a lot of things?
also try http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/

http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/cuba/cuba.html

Cayco Lago is you want to veg, beautiful white beach
http://www.cayolargo.net/introduction.htm

what time of the years are you going? Within a couple of weeks. I believe that this is the beginning of the rainy season though and with rain comes mosquitos. Are they more prevalent on the Atlantic side than the Caribbean side?
Do want hot  or warm temps? Well, it's going to be May so hot I guess.
Are you taking your kids? or want adults only? Yes, Kate is going 5 years old.
Are you looking a for cheap trip? or spend some cash? Seems pretty hard to spend big bucks in Cuba... say a $1K/week/pp.
Sit back and veg, or to see a lot of things? Havana would be good to see...other than that we're open to other suggestions. I could lay ona beach all week and read but my Wife likes to explore.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:42:43 pm »
I usually go end of Jan to mid Feb
So this time of year it will be warm in Cuba, Jan and Feb it can be a bit cool if bad weather blows in
In Varadero we stayed at the Sandals  so not kid friendly abut a nice adult only place
Nice beaches, also Havana is close for a day trip

Cayo Coco, there a couple of day trips to go on, nice beaches
South coast will be hot and resorts are not has nice

We were of think of trying Santa Clara this year, it is suppose to have nice beaches, but I understand it a place just to veg

Good luck with your planing

Tripcentral.ca is a good site to check out pricing

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:25:05 pm »
Did I ever say I'm cuban??? Born there, came to Brazil 13 years ago. Was planning to go there in May but had to leave to February, summer will start and I don't like it too much, too hot.

If you go, never miss th chance to go to Varadero, it's a wonderful beach.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:27:07 pm »
 Wolverine....did the wind & Currents blow yer raft OFF COURSE............ ;D :stick: >:D..............Anyone LEFT Cuba lately now that cuddly Uncle Raul is in POWER :think: :nono: :hello:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:19 pm »
Wolverine....did the wind & Currents blow yer raft OFF COURSE............ ;D :stick: >:D..............Anyone LEFT Cuba lately now that cuddly Uncle Raul is in POWER :think: :nono: :hello:

AHhaahahahahah, everyone asks me that, they say i was sailing on my barrel to reach Uncle's Sam land and then the wind brought me to Brazil, eheheheheheheh.

From what I'm seeing Raul is taking some good measures, hope it's good to the people (it can't get worst anyway). My dad lives there and I have some other relatives still there too.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:56:55 pm »
How is whether like in mid-June? I'm looking for a place to spend one week on the beach with my family (wife and 2-year old), but I don't want to fly too far or go sightseeing (e.g. Europe). All-inclusive Caribbean destinations, Cuba included, are under consideration.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:01:08 pm »
..so give us the REAL DEAL no B/S about what they think of Castro and Cuba in say the last 10 years.................do they still love the old rascal...has Canadian & Euro tourism made life easier for the people.....or only a few.....

I often think about Jamaica as another Cuba.............gorgeous Islands..great people...yet shitty lives for most of the locals....is it a manana attitude...lousy governance...the US gov refusal to trade (in Cuba's case)....what say the relatives still there..........

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:04:43 pm »
carcrazy why leave Canada in MID JUNE.............perfect time fer staying HOME man...that's like coals to newcastle..... :think: :bang:..........14 hours of daylight...and everything FREE here......... ;D...No frikkiin Airport Taxes,Bum searches...departure taxes and cheap lousy RUM and watery beer,,,,,,,,,,,, Ya can camp in my back yard,If ya mow the lawn and water THE!! Plants ;)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 03:07:12 pm »
We've been to Cuba three times.

1) Holguin (actually Guadalavaca beach (sp)).  Great beach about 3km long with about 5-6 hotels in a remote area on the east end of the island.  Had a good time, but there is nothing else to see.  It is about a one hour drive from the airport.

2) Cayo Guillermo which is next to Cayo Coco.  One of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen.  Very close to an airport.

3) Sandals Veradero - beautiful beach, but 5 stars in Cuba does not equal 5 stars on the other islands.

Overall, the people are very friendly and I feel very safe there (unlike some other places in the Carribean).  3-4 star resorts will not have a very good variety of food available, but the seafood is always top notch.

I highly recommend Veradero which allows an easy day tour of Havana which is definitely worth seeing.  I wanted to see it before the island reverts to capitalism and the American influence takes over.

Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 03:18:20 pm »
Silver  ...Cuba WAS Capitilism and Americana..pre Castro...when all the sh*t ya wanta see was built and beautiful and thriving...ask Hemmingway..... :bang: :stick:...Vegas of it's TIME

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »
Silver  ...Cuba WAS Capitilism and Americana..pre Castro...when all the sh*t ya wanta see was built and beautiful and thriving...ask Hemmingway..... :bang: :stick:...Vegas of it's TIME

I know. 

I'm not anti-American in any way, but it is nice to go somewhere that is not overpowered by the Americans. Some time in the future communism will falter and Cuba will change very quickly because it is so close to the US.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »
so yer staying @ Artics TIMESHARE and driving a 50's Chevy then........... ;D I tho't Cuba was overpowered !!!! by Canucks and German Sex Tourists????

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:45 pm »
carcrazy why leave Canada in MID JUNE.............perfect time fer staying HOME

We want to go away for a week, somewhere with sun, sand and water for our daughter and no worries about cooking or anything else. Get lazy for a week so to speak. We cannot go onto a more than 4-hours flight either as we are not sure how our super active 2 year old would behave.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 06:22:28 pm »
"lazy for a week" and ya have a 2 year old..................are ya gonna sell Him?her? to pay fer tha TRIP.... ;D

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 07:39:15 am »
..so give us the REAL DEAL no B/S about what they think of Castro and Cuba in say the last 10 years.................do they still love the old rascal...has Canadian & Euro tourism made life easier for the people.....or only a few.....

I often think about Jamaica as another Cuba.............gorgeous Islands..great people...yet shitty lives for most of the locals....is it a manana attitude...lousy governance...the US gov refusal to trade (in Cuba's case)....what say the relatives still there..........

Most people dislike him, but also fear him, talking s..t about the gov. could send you to jail for some time and be pointed out as a traitor for the rest of your life, the police would keep an eye on you forever.

Tourism has being great to cubans, a lot of people have find different ways to make money with tourism.

To make a long history short, things in Cuba work this way: if you have "chavitos" (cuban equivalent to dollar, wich is forbiden, the gov. trades dollars for chavitos and keeps 20% to them) than you have no problems, you can buy almost anything, if you don't, then you'll have to work your way on the black market.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 08:20:31 am »
Cuba= nice people, wonderful music, good scenary, but feels like Soviet Union in the tropics=bad vibes(IMO)

Nicer places within 4 hour flight duration, check out Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Caymans, and Bermuda is wonderful in the spring.