Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 1000423 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #2400 on: July 14, 2015, 11:30:58 pm »
Just back from a visit to Alberta with the '09 Escape Hybrid.  Each leg of the trip included some or a lot of side trips or urban driving.  Where convenient we avoided Hwy 2 and used 100kph secondary roads.  This mileage is consistent with last summer's similar trip.  Winds probably averaged neutral, and elevation balances out over the whole trip.  Lots of a/c use due to the hot weather.  Speeds were around the limit.

Abbotsford to Golden
636km, 51.6L, 8.1L/100km, 35mpg
(Coquihalla)

Golden, Drumheller, Red Deer
732km, 52L, 7.1L/100km, 40mpg

Red Deer, Edmonton, Hinton**
756km, 54L, 7.14L/100km, 39.6mpg

Hinton, Jasper, Lake Louise, Vernon
703km, 46L, 6.6L/100km, 43mpg

Vernon, Kelowna, Abbotsford
416km, 35L, 8.5L/100km, 33.3mpg
(Coquihalla + stuck in massive traffic jam due to accident closing Hwy 1 all day)

(**I thought I had a handle on how much gas was left when the low fuel warning lights up and when the DTE says zero.  I figured we couldn't make it to Jasper, but Hinton would be easy.  In Hinton, some silly "service road" sign put us into a mess of dead ends on the wrong side of the highway from the gas stations. While getting out of that, the Escape emitted a loud alarm tone, and the dashboard said: "Stop Safely Now".  I started to sweat, not just because the air conditioning and the engine quit, but because SSN is the worst message the Escape Hybrid has.  It really means: "Pull off the road immediately and arrange to be towed to the nearest Ford dealership for expensive repairs."

Running out of fuel was low on my list of possible problems, since I was sure we still had a few litres.  Luckily the Escape would still move, at 30kph, on just the electric system. Far enough to get us a kilometre or so to a gas station.  Filled up, and it ran fine.  Phew.  But I only put 54L into a 56.8L tank.  Lesson learned. My wife thought it was rather excellent that the electric system bailed us out, but I knew this is useful only if you're within 2-3km of a gas station.)
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 14, 2015, 11:38:52 pm »
^^I might definitely look into an Escape Hybrid AWD when it comes time to replace the Forester.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 14, 2015, 11:39:51 pm »
^^I might definitely look into an Escape Hybrid AWD when it comes time to replace the Forester.

Are you kidding me?

If not, there has been a 2012 Escape Hybrid for sale in the Vancouver area for about 6 months.  58k km.  Asking price has declined from about $24,000 to $19,700.  Very few Escape Hybrids were built in 2012, so this is very rare. 

I have no idea why it hasn't sold.  But if it's ok, you couldn't find a newer one.  It has AWD, but not the fancy Limited package (sunroof, heated leather etc.) However even the base Escape Hybrid has loads of do-dads.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:55:34 pm by X-Traction »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:10 pm »

Are you kidding me?

No, why?  I've had a hybrid before.  Liked it.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 14, 2015, 11:58:16 pm »
^ Ok, good for you.  See my revised post above.  The Escape is much more vehicle than the earlier Foresters, and I've found the Escape's AWD system (with no user control except turning off traction control) is remarkably capable.  No low range of course and engine braking is pretty weak.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 15, 2015, 12:02:10 am »
^ Ok, good for you.  See my revised post above.  The Escape is much more vehicle than the earlier Foresters, and I've found the Escape's AWD system (with no user control except turning off traction control) is remarkably capable.  No low range of course and engine braking is pretty weak.

No doubt it would be much more vehicle than a POS 1998 Forester, though I doubt the Ford could match the stupendous AWD capability of the Forester.  But I could live with it.

Something like this would suit me better, since it's mainly used for winter beater duty  http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Escape/THORNHILL/Ontario/24_13251035_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_14

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:12 am »

No doubt it would be much more vehicle than a POS 1998 Forester, though I doubt the Ford could match the stupendous AWD capability of the Forester.  But I could live with it.

Something like this would suit me better, since it's mainly used for winter beater duty  http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Escape/THORNHILL/Ontario/24_13251035_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_14
The $8000 asking price seems oddly low, even with 190,000km.  The ad does not say "no accidents".  Unless they're an aftermarket addition, the trim level shown does not have heated leather seats as claimed in the ad. It has the "enviro/green" cloth seats, which were notorious for staining - as can be seen in the photos.  Maybe when you get closer to buying, open a topic to discuss it.  I'm getting uncomfortable with diverting this topic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:22 am »

The $8000 asking price seems oddly low, even with 190,000km.  The ad does not say "no accidents".  Unless they're an aftermarket addition, the trim level shown does not have heated leather seats as claimed in the ad. It has the "enviro/green" cloth seats, which were notorious for staining - as can be seen in the photos.  Maybe when you get closer to buying, open a topic to discuss it.  I'm getting uncomfortable with diverting this topic.

Your brain is in "Vancouver/West Coast" mode.   ;D  Hybrids sell for a huge premium there.  Here?  Not so much.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 15, 2015, 03:08:56 am »

Your brain is in "Vancouver/West Coast" mode.   ;D  Hybrids sell for a huge premium there.  Here?  Not so much.

I wouldn't say they sell for any premium here.  But no doubt less in Alberta.  Isn't the ad from Ontario?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 15, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »

I wouldn't say they sell for any premium here.  But no doubt less in Alberta.  Isn't the ad from Ontario?

Yes, Ontario.  What I should have said is compared to Ontario, used hybrids command considerable more money out your way.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2410 on: July 16, 2015, 11:47:27 am »
got the best tank to date with the Taco and i'm really impressed.

loaded with camping gear, two mountain bikes
headed north / west in Ontario

some QEW to get out of Niagara at 115km/h and then all rural two lane highway.
100km/h average with some aggressive passing and some hills. 
the tank even included some rough dirt roads to access some MTB bike trails.

10.1L / 100 km

it was interesting looking at the Matrix numbers and the worse the Matrix did was 10.01L / 100km

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 16, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »
Can you still buy a Spark EV?  Can't find on the Chev site.

http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-spark-ev-available-ontario-quebec-b-c-canada/

Look for the 2016 Chevrolet Spark EV to land at US (and possibly Canadian dealerships) in early October.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:46 pm »
Can you still buy a Spark EV?  Can't find on the Chev site.

http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-spark-ev-available-ontario-quebec-b-c-canada/

Look for the 2016 Chevrolet Spark EV to land at US (and possibly Canadian dealerships) in early October.

Oops, I missed that one when I was away last week. Thanks Smart.
http://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2015/Apr/0409_Spark.html
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 20, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »
Reached a new low with the Jetta: 240km on 46L....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2414 on: July 20, 2015, 09:45:30 pm »

I don't care how fast your accelerating, there is something wrong there.  Did you leave the car on, and have a nap?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: July 20, 2015, 11:06:52 pm »

I don't care how fast your accelerating, there is something wrong there.  Did you leave the car on, and have a nap?

Nope 100% city driving with AC on. I've complained to the dealer and they said 'it's normal, because the AC takes a big toll on consumption'.....and next thing: 'but I can guarantee you the brand new Golf will be much more efficient' LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2416 on: July 21, 2015, 06:29:29 am »

That is about what my truck gets in the winter time  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2417 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:03 am »

Nope 100% city driving with AC on. I've complained to the dealer and they said 'it's normal, because the AC takes a big toll on consumption'.....and next thing: 'but I can guarantee you the brand new Golf will be much more efficient' LOL

How far is your drive? Also double check tire pressures.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2418 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:49 am »

When I used to work a few km away, I would average 9L/100km.  All city, 4 stop lights.  A/C wouldn't do much, till the car warmed up a the 2nd light. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2419 on: July 21, 2015, 07:27:49 am »

How far is your drive? Also double check tire pressures.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
For a smooth bump free ride  ;D