Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 1000800 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #4120 on: October 25, 2021, 11:22:33 am »
My last tank in the Cayenne was under 13, it was 12.95 L/100km.   

Not too bad, but premium is such a rip-off in Ontario. :P
Mr Pickypants

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4121 on: October 25, 2021, 12:27:34 pm »
My last tank in the Cayenne was under 13, it was 12.95 L/100km.   

Not too bad, but premium is such a rip-off in Ontario. :P
Is the price different huge at Costco gas station in Ontario?  Here in NB the only place to buy premium is at Costco as it's typically the same price as other stations regular.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4122 on: October 25, 2021, 01:29:17 pm »
yeah, I am getting a Costco membership, almost solely for bulk almonds and cashews and premium fuel for the Jag...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: October 25, 2021, 01:39:05 pm »
Is the price different huge at Costco gas station in Ontario?  Here in NB the only place to buy premium is at Costco as it's typically the same price as other stations regular.
It's typically 10 cents/L more at Costco vs. almost 30 cents/L
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4124 on: October 25, 2021, 01:41:59 pm »
I think it's more like 6 cents spread here in NB between Costco regular and Costco 91 supreme.  The spread is only about double that at regular gas stations though, so we don't see that 30 cent difference here.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: October 25, 2021, 01:44:48 pm »
The fuel at Costco in Ontario is also Top Tier....if that matters.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #4126 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:53 am »
Costco’s premium costs the same as everyone else’s regular, at least in Edmonton.

Screenshot 1 - Costco regular
Screenshot 2 - Costco premium
Screenshot 3 - everyone else’s regular

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4127 on: October 26, 2021, 11:49:01 pm »
Forgot to check my consumption going to London but on the way back to Cambridge with a 20-30 kph headwind, I got 6.9 L/100 with the cruise set at 119 kph. Should be doing some secondary highway tomorrow which should produce better numbers. Engine has less than 300 km.

Side notes. Really liking radar cruise but hate the shitty stereo.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4128 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:39 am »
Forgot to check my consumption going to London but on the way back to Cambridge with a 20-30 kph headwind, I got 6.9 L/100 with the cruise set at 119 kph. Should be doing some secondary highway tomorrow which should produce better numbers. Engine has less than 300 km.

Wow, those are great numbers at that speed (effectively 140-150km/h with the headwind). 

I WAS going to say that the stereo can be upgraded, but then I remembered how integrated stereos are into the car now, what with the infotainment and all that.  So maybe not?  Possibly better speakers would help? 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: October 27, 2021, 08:23:18 am »

Is that better consumption under similar conditions as your GTI ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:26 am »

Considering how new that vehicle is, the speed, plus wind, I'd say that's a minimum of 1L/100 higher than it will be once it's broken in and without the headwind.  Heck it might even be closer to 2L/100 high.  I know with my GLI at those speeds with some wind and hills I'm under 6L/100kms, so I'd be shocked if the Corolla doesn't beat that handily. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4131 on: October 27, 2021, 09:34:43 am »

Wow, those are great numbers at that speed (effectively 140-150km/h with the headwind). 

I WAS going to say that the stereo can be upgraded, but then I remembered how integrated stereos are into the car now, what with the infotainment and all that.  So maybe not?  Possibly better speakers would help?

Had a '22 Corolla hatchback last week, finished my week at 7.1. Put less than 200 km on it though. 6MT XSE with the JBL stereo. Hatches not as good as sedans because they lack the poor man's subwoofer we call a trunk. While the JBL was decent in the Hatchback, I remember the base system in the C-HR LE I reviewed earlier this year was nearly as good. If yours is a sedan, then better speakers are the way to go, maybe even add a sub in the trunk.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: October 27, 2021, 10:22:44 am »

If yours is a sedan, then better speakers are the way to go, maybe even add a sub in the trunk.

Yes sedan. Might be a project for next year.

Considering how new that vehicle is, the speed, plus wind, I'd say that's a minimum of 1L/100 higher than it will be once it's broken in and without the headwind.  Heck it might even be closer to 2L/100 high.  I know with my GLI at those speeds with some wind and hills I'm under 6L/100kms, so I'd be shocked if the Corolla doesn't beat that handily. 

That GLI is really good. I'll be going back to London again next week so will be checking both ways this time. FTR, my numbers are door-door from cold start.

Is that better consumption under similar conditions as your GTI ?

GTI would have been into the 9's. Done that trip enough times I could compute the wind speed just from my f/e. On a good day it would be low 8's or the odd high 7's. Secondary roads I was mostly into the 7's.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: October 27, 2021, 10:35:24 am »
Yeah this was a trip I did back in April with my GLI, still had my winter tires on, I know my average speed only says 99kms/hr but that's more because a little bit of city driving and some secondary roads that had a speed limit of 80kms/hr.  About 200kms of that distance was traveled at 115km/hr.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #4134 on: October 27, 2021, 10:55:29 am »
Yeah this was a trip I did back in April with my GLI, still had my winter tires on, I know my average speed only says 99kms/hr but that's more because a little bit of city driving and some secondary roads that had a speed limit of 80kms/hr.  About 200kms of that distance was traveled at 115km/hr.
That is excellent. Do you have the DSG or the 6 speed manual? Because my experience with the GTI is more like:

GTI would have been into the 9's. Done that trip enough times I could compute the wind speed just from my f/e. On a good day it would be low 8's or the odd high 7's. Secondary roads I was mostly into the 7's.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: October 27, 2021, 12:23:11 pm »
That is excellent. Do you have the DSG or the 6 speed manual? Because my experience with the GTI is more like:

Manual, but I don't think there would be a big change either way, actually think the DSG might be even more efficient, but I'm not sure.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: October 27, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
The TDI guys all say that the manual gives better fuel economy than the DSG.

It makes sense that the GLI is better than the GTI since sedans tend to be more aerodynamic.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #4137 on: October 27, 2021, 01:08:26 pm »

Manual, but I don't think there would be a big change either way, actually think the DSG might be even more efficient, but I'm not sure.
A lot of people say that both transmissions give  identical numbers under test conditions but in real world driving the manual has better consumption. Having said that Car and Driver tested the GLI with both transmissions over their 200 mile highway test run at 75  mph and got an identical 36 mpg. They also got 36 mpg with the GTI but did not specify what transmission it had. With the regular Jetta 1.4 liter turbo they got 43 mpg with the 8 speed automatic and 48 mpg with the 6 speed manual.

But this could also be a factor in the GLI vs GTI fuel consumption comparison:

The TDI guys all say that the manual gives better fuel economy than the DSG.

It makes sense that the GLI is better than the GTI since sedans tend to be more aerodynamic.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: October 27, 2021, 05:57:22 pm »

I'm very impressed. Now show us your worst.  :P

The best I did in the GTI was 5.9 cruising through a valley in Vermont but the gearing is short.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: October 27, 2021, 06:02:11 pm »

Had a '22 Corolla hatchback last week, finished my week at 7.1. Put less than 200 km on it though. 6MT XSE with the JBL stereo. Hatches not as good as sedans because they lack the poor man's subwoofer we call a trunk. While the JBL was decent in the Hatchback, I remember the base system in the C-HR LE I reviewed earlier this year was nearly as good. If yours is a sedan, then better speakers are the way to go, maybe even add a sub in the trunk.

I've been spoiled by Mark Levinson for the last several years.

Even though I have the top shelf JBL system in the Prius, it sounds like a turd to my ears.  And I'm half deaf.