Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 1000860 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #3260 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:32 am »
So, we drove 2.5 hours from Winnipeg to West Hawk Lake, mostly on small highways (we detoured North through Pinawa, and took 307 by Dorothy Lake...nice drive, very windy and hilly, but also snow covered).

My favourite drive in MB: hwys 307 and 44 in Whiteshell Provincial Park.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3261 on: March 09, 2019, 04:39:32 pm »
Because of the number of SUV threads that have gone sideways because of "well a full size pick up is almost as good on gas", I thought we should keep the conversation here to keep the noise pollution off of those threads.

I'd expect SUVs to be somewhere in between. I was surprised that the fuel economy drop off on trucks to be so low but it makes sense, they have the aerodynamics of a refrigerator.

There’s something weird with the Sonata graph...no way it gets +50mpg like ever....

Also what engine was used in this test?

Just raises more questions than answers to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can, the problem is no one drives long distance at 50 mph to get 50 mpg. But I got 4.7 and 4.9 L/100km (49 and a 47 mpg) tanks of gas on my Mazda 3 once averaging 92 km/h. My calibrated fuel economy meter says at 80 km/h, I’m using about 3.8 L/100km which is 61 mpg. As I’ve noted above, add about 10-15% if using AC.

This is why the USA set 50 mph limits during the energy crisis.

What does the Yamaha get at that speed?

I can't remember, I would say low 4s at 100km/h, mid to high 3s if I tuck. At 80 km/h, I get low 3s whether I'm upright or tuck. A week and a half back I was riding into a bad headwind and it was reading 8.1 L/100km doing only 110 km/h.  :rofl2:

My old CB300F was better on fuel.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3262 on: March 15, 2019, 09:33:42 am »
So, the last fillup on the Tundra was a good one.  It was an expensive one, because gas was at $1.13/L, and I was down past 1/4 tank (100L to fill!!!).

BUT, I'm finally starting to see some decent (relatively) fuel economy.  Part of it has to do with the trip out of town that the wife and I took on the weekend.  I saw an indicated average (trip computer) of 14.5L/100kms.  But then in the week of normal driving that I did, it wasn't much worse.  This tank's average was 17.9L/100kms. 

I think the warmer weather is helping a TON.  It seems that constant -20C is HELL on this truck and its fuel economy.  I have high hopes for the summer, and hope to see some decent numbers (obviously, it will still be bad, but it shouldn't be anywhere close to as bad as I've been seeing this winter). 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:22 am »
Damn, why doesn't my fuelly signature show up all the time?  It's so intermittent, and go figure it doesn't show up when I want to talk about fuel economy.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3264 on: March 15, 2019, 09:38:50 am »
So, the last fillup on the Tundra was a good one.  It was an expensive one, because gas was at $1.13/L, and I was down past 1/4 tank (100L to fill!!!).

BUT, I'm finally starting to see some decent (relatively) fuel economy.  Part of it has to do with the trip out of town that the wife and I took on the weekend.  I saw an indicated average (trip computer) of 14.5L/100kms.  But then in the week of normal driving that I did, it wasn't much worse.  This tank's average was 17.9L/100kms. 

I think the warmer weather is helping a TON.  It seems that constant -20C is HELL on this truck and its fuel economy.  I have high hopes for the summer, and hope to see some decent numbers (obviously, it will still be bad, but it shouldn't be anywhere close to as bad as I've been seeing this winter).

You know that peddle on the far right doesn't have to be pressed all the way down to the floor all the time, right?  :stick:  :rofl2:

I saw a bit of an improvement with my JGC this past week as well with the warmer weather, sitting at 12.4 right now. I think yours will finally get worked in a bit more and start to improve, hopefully by mid summer you should be in that 14 range more consistently.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:16 am »
You know that peddle on the far right doesn't have to be pressed all the way down to the floor all the time, right?  :stick:  :rofl2:

I saw a bit of an improvement with my JGC this past week as well with the warmer weather, sitting at 12.4 right now. I think yours will finally get worked in a bit more and start to improve, hopefully by mid summer you should be in that 14 range more consistently.

What, we aren't supposed to go wide open throttle and use the brake pedal to modulate speed?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:04 am »

Some young duphus in a Malibu was speeding, weaving through traffic, cutting people off this morning.  I caught up to him at a light, put the truck in 4x4, and when the light turned green, completely embarrassed him.  I knew he was trying because I let off at the 80km/h speed limit, and he came flying past me a few seconds later. 

With 4.30 gears and 381hp, the truck is shockingly quick off the line, when traction isn't an issue.  I am also a child. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3267 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:44 am »

Some young duphus in a Malibu was speeding, weaving through traffic, cutting people off this morning.  I caught up to him at a light, put the truck in 4x4, and when the light turned green, completely embarrassed him.  I knew he was trying because I let off at the 80km/h speed limit, and he came flying past me a few seconds later. 

With 4.30 gears and 381hp, the truck is shockingly quick off the line, when traction isn't an issue.  I am also a child.
Ha, ha, ha! Good job!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3268 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:02 am »

Who was the young duphus again ?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: March 15, 2019, 11:34:43 am »

What?  All I did was accelerate briskly up to the speed limit.  I didn't speed, weave in and out of traffic, or cut anyone off. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3270 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

What?  All I did was accelerate briskly up to the speed limit.  I didn't speed, weave in and out of traffic, or cut anyone off.

Yeah, that's street racing here in Ontario.  You'd lose your license and vehicle.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3271 on: March 15, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »

Yeah, that's street racing here in Ontario.  You'd lose your license and vehicle.

How is that street racing?  He wasn't speeding?  I do that everyday.  Even when cops are around.   

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: March 17, 2019, 05:27:45 pm »
Ha!  I have adjusted the MFD by 7%, so now it's in line with the hand calcs.

The return trip was 50/50 with the Cruise set at 120/130. With a more than a few 140+ runs. Into a stiff 25km/hr wind.

6.3 L/100km.  Not bad at all.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3273 on: March 18, 2019, 06:30:52 am »
The 3 cyl VW Polo with the 1,0 TSI (gasoline/essence) was good for mid 5s on the French autoroute. It was windy but since that average is both west- and east-bound I wouldn't count it as an effect.

The 3 cyl DS3 with the 1,2 Puretech diesel was good for 4,8 l/100.

The speed limit on french autoroutes is 130 km/h so that was the speed driven,
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3274 on: March 19, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »
The weather change has been great and the freeway drive to the ski hill and back every day has added to the highway-type of driving for the Highlander.  Just put in 66L with 620km on the trip odo.  A very respectable 10.7L/100km for a combination of urban and freeway driving.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: March 19, 2019, 07:32:06 pm »
The weather change has been great and the freeway drive to the ski hill and back every day has added to the highway-type of driving for the Highlander.  Just put in 66L with 620km on the trip odo.  A very respectable 10.7L/100km for a combination of urban and freeway driving.

Still got the Blizzaks on? Seems good.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3276 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:00 pm »

Still got the Blizzaks on? Seems good.

They'll be on for a long time yet, thanks to trips to the mountains.  I was surprised by the mileage after a number of 15L/100km tanks, ugh.  That said, I am driving to Snow Valley right after rush fades off, and the drive is easy and smooth which really helps keep consumption down.  And unlike another Highlander owner on the forum, I'm not driving at WOT the whole time...   ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:32 pm »
That could be anybody.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: March 19, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:31 pm »
Hey this anybody's WOT Highlander fuel consumption is still less than my Sequoia's light on the throttle fuel consumption.