Author Topic: Story of my Saturday.  (Read 5286 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Story of my Saturday.
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:40:53 pm »
So, I woke up early today.

Went to work at my parent's auto repair shop, as I usually do on saturdays.
I don't really get paid, so I guess I shouldn't call it "work". (volunteer, then. )

Anyway, today was a total work out.  From beginning of the day, till 4 pm, I only had one 15 minute lunch break.

Lots of foot traffic, and oil changes.  We don't really make much money per oil changes, but it's also one of the easiest task to perform.

Interesting car of the day was 1989, Mercedes Benz 420 SEL.  That car is freaking huge.  .   
Had to perform spark plug wire changes, and oil change on it.
Since the air filter housing had to come off, I cleaned throttle body while at it.  Didn't take long.

It took about 7 and a half liters of oil after draining and filter changing.  That's a LOT.

What impressed me the most was the car's interior.   It's Fantastic.  loads of room in the back seat, leather and wood plentiful.  Air bags, ABS, and cruise control, and doors feel solid, but not too heavy; closes with sweet "thunk" but at the same time, there's mechanical "clicky-clack" sound.

I've ridden in modern S class before, but the newer car's interior, as nice as they are, didn't really IMPRESS me before.
I think I like old Benz now..

Screw up of the day.  I changed a rear shock absorber on a 97 CR-V.  had to do it 3 times, because I kept forgetting to transfer old bushings onto the new one (new one doesn't come with any bushings..  I hate that.)

Funny story of the day.
Old couple came in for an oil change and tire check on a 97-98 Chrysler Dy-nasty.  It is the old gentleman's car.
I get in the car to bring it into the garage.  The interior is ..filthy.   And the seat is wet.   My work pants and undies are soaked in, and I'm pis$ed off that the driver was so careless to leave a wet car seat and not notify us.  Maybe the driver spilled entire bottle of water on the seat.

Boy was I wrong......

I march into the office to talk to him about spilling water on the seat and causing me the discomfort of wet pants, and I notice, alas, his entire crotch area of the his jeans are not only wet, but dripping onto our office floor..

I quickly called his lady companion, take her away to tell her the situation, and she's like "oh, my..  yes he does have some problem controlling the ... " 

The man peed in his car seat, (and our floor) and I SAT ON IT!
I told my mother and she couldn't resist laughing at me for half an hour. 

I put layers of news papers and plastic seat cover to shield everyone else's butt, and cleaned it out when I was done.  The lady thanked me for not embarrassing him.  .. No problem.  I'm sure it's embarrassing, but my butt was covered in pee, too, so I wasn't too keen on mentioning it.

Kept my mouth shut and I got tipped 5 bucks for that.

And I worked the rest of the day with wet pants soaked in someone else's pee...

It made me sad about getting old, though...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 07:44:59 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Story of my Saturday.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:49:52 pm »
I know that feeling when I sat on grandmother's chair.  Fortunately I had a change of clothes with me. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:28:30 pm »
 :rofl: @ the old gentleman's story.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:19:53 pm »
Look at the bright side....at least you weren't the peed them self. It can sure suck getting old.

vdk

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Old age... *sigh*

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:41:02 pm »
Life lessons learned early. Nice touch AJ - for not saying anything because I'm sure he was just as embarassed although perhaps a little senile too. If he knew about it I think he would have gone home and change rather than keep going.

And that's the scary part - if he didn't know he also should probably not be driving.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 12:58:04 am »
My story of saturday -- Got up at 8am.  Starting removing transmission at 9am

It's 1am, got tranny out, clutch / flywheel changed (that was the easy part) and new tranny is sitting halfway up.  Now I'm off to bed and finish it in the morning OMG!

There was lots of time wasted, I'd say at least 2 hours trying to get it in without thinking about the angle of the engine and 2 hours prying on the tranny not being able to get it out.  1 hour driving to canadian tire to get tools as the bolts were so tight I snapped my dad's extensions in half more later.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 01:33:22 am »
And that's the scary part - if he didn't know he also should probably not be driving.

That was also my concern.  He didn't seem to acknowledge the wet pants, but remembers where and when he bought the new tires he had, and where he kept wheel locks..

Initially, I was pretty ..  um.  angry..  but then I thought "well..  he probably went thru a lot during his life..  could be a korean war/WW2 vet, in which case, he would my one of my heroes." and went on to thinking about getting old..  it just made me sad about the whole thing.

Starting removing transmission at 9am
what's going on, wing?  modding your S2K? :D  don't tell me, you are working on transmission alone on jack stands?    I would never be able to do that.. :p

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:51 am »
Another ordinary Saturday - sold the house..... ;) ;) :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:56 am »
Finally decided that your 5 series is good enough to live in, eh? ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »
..i'd be pissed orff..........................oops pissed on..................... :-\...........Ovr did ya buy the Farm..... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »
Thanks for the Saturday sharing. Would be hard not to be pissed when you have been.

You work for an indy garage?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 06:51:02 pm »

Car payments too much?  :D

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »
What impressed me the most was the car's interior.   It's Fantastic.  loads of room in the back seat, leather and wood plentiful.  Air bags, ABS, and cruise control, and doors feel solid, but not too heavy; closes with sweet "thunk" but at the same time, there's mechanical "clicky-clack" sound.

I've ridden in modern S class before, but the newer car's interior, as nice as they are, didn't really IMPRESS me before.
I think I like old Benz now..

The courtesy shuttle at the mechanic I go to is a 25-year-old Benz with 650,000 km on it.  Same thing.  It's far more impressive to me, and nicer inside in my opinion, than the brand-new C300 Luxury I test-drove.

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:17 am »

Are you buying back in town? I always wonder how easy buying back into the same market is or if you feel like you made money on your sale only to get ripped on your purchase.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 01:42:23 am »
Getting old can p i s s you off, it all Depends... ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:19:00 am by marineboy »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 02:21:32 am »
Getting old can p i s s you off, it all Depends... ;)

It should have clued me in, when I saw the box of diapers in the back seat.  My slow dimwit brain...  :)

You work for an indy garage?

Yes, just a side gig ;) . Don't have apprenticeship or anything, but I love wrenching on things, and learned a lot helping my parents out.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:47 am »

Are you buying back in town? I always wonder how easy buying back into the same market is or if you feel like you made money on your sale only to get ripped on your purchase.

The original intent was to sell our 3700sqft house on 12,4xx sqft lot, and downsize in house size and particularily lot size. NOT a fan of gardening and yard maintenance at all. We have sold privately (just as we went to list the house) for a very good price.

We are building a new house (going for BPermit this week) in a newer area just up the hill from our present place. The lot is much smaller at 5800sqft, but the house will only be a bit smaller at 3000sqft. The proceeds from our now-sold house will pay all the new house costs and upgrades, pay for new window coverings, fence and several other smaller things, plus pay our move costs and temporary rental costs (while new house is being built). After that, no money left. We are mortgage-free now, and will remain mortgage-free after, BUT will have a new home (no repairs) and a much less maintenace intense lot. We do, however, give up our mega-view but have some small view at the new one. I also lose my 3 car garage - down to a 2-car with a concrete pad beside it for car-washing, etc. Small amount of grass in rear for Drake, and "dry-scaping" on front and sides (which is a small area in total). New house will have a total of 5 outdoor decks, verandas, and patio areas, of which all are covered save one.

We are downsizing but it is impossible to downsize and put extra funds in your jeans if you stay in this market. We like it here, thus, no extra funds coming out of the deal BUT no new funds/mortgage going in either.

Two moves in the balance of this year will cause major brain damage, but we'll get thru it in the end.

That's the deal.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:44:42 am »
Ovr..I figured ya were going fer one of those ritzy Condo units on the lake...leaving U
 maintenance and CAReFREE to visit Hawaii,OreganO! and the Sunny South as the mood struck...........sideways move fer the same BUCKS :shuffle:..plus...the headaches of BUILDING NEW..........good fortune...............seeing the California fires reminds me of the similarities in Kewlona...are U going with slate/terra cotta roof and sprinkler system and a fire berm..?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:46:23 am by safristi »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »
so there is such a thing as a Free Lunch................hell I lost a twenty on Sunday :stick: :think: :nono: :surrend: :spam: