Author Topic: Mazda6 US-spec unveiled  (Read 32892 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Mazda6 US-spec unveiled
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 08:09:05 am »
IIRC, they did drop in Canada. Many buyers moved to CRV, RAV, Highlander etc.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 08:17:39 am »
why should they offer a wagon when the CX-7 is about the same size
DIMENSIONS, CAPACITY AND WEIGHT
                      CX-7 GS           6 Sport Wagon GS-V6
Length (mm)   4 675               4 770
Width (mm)    1 872                1 780
Height (mm)   1 645                1 455
Wheelbase (mm) 2 750             2 675
Curbweight (kg) 1 683               1 559
Trunk Size (L)    848                   959
Towing Capacity (kg) 907 -

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Looks nice but the Euro spec looks nicer.  Its a shame that Mazda has dropped the hatch and wagon for the North American audience.  I always thought that nicely distinguished the 6 from the other competitors.  The Wagon was a pretty good setup for space versus fuel economy but everyone is on the CUV kick right now.

Tons of 6 wagons around here...I wonder what those folks will do when they need a new vehicle.  Almost no wagons offered at all now.

smok

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 09:54:08 am »

I think they need to at least offer the wagon in Canada.  And as far as the pricing goes, Hope mazda doesn't forget the 1:1 CAD-US $ X-Change.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 10:39:27 am »
Maybe Mazda will offer these in N.A. - With the Atenza (Mazda 6) sedan and wagon variants failing to appeal to the Japanese domestic market, Mazda has come up with two new models to add to the Antenza line up including a new Coupe and a Cabriolet, as well as a new high performance model which - in Japan at least - will continue to be called the Mazdaspeed Atenza. Both new models will be based on the sedan chassis and Mazda hopes to achieve build quality on par with the BMW 3 Series models. The whole Atenza line up will mimic the BMW 3 Series range with both companies offering sedan, wagon, cabriolet, coupe and high performance models. Mazda will also produce a high performance Demio (Mazda 2) to address the demand in Europe for a more powerful version, although whether it will be marketed as a proper Mazdaspeed model is yet to be decided

http://www.7tune.com/?p=140

vdk

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 10:42:04 am »
It looks really nice... too bad they're still using the old platform for it.. :)
hope it'll be even more of a thrill to drive than the last gen, if so, it'll make it quite appealing: good looking, reliable (?), good handling, good quality. 6spd etc...

still, how much?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 11:05:13 am »
No word on AWD?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 11:37:32 am »
It looks really nice... too bad they're still using the old platform for it.. :)

Source?  I thought this was a new-generation platform.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 12:34:56 pm »
hope it'll be even more of a thrill to drive than the last gen, if so, it'll make it quite appealing: good looking, reliable (?), good handling, good quality. 6spd etc...

still, how much?

Double wishbones up front, multi-link in the rear, what a horrible platform to retain. ???
I'm just hoping that they don't pork it out like it's competitors have been doing.  As far as I know these cars have been reliable and so has the Fusion which should continue if they keep the same oily bits from the previous gen.

vdk

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »
Well apparently the CD3 platform was redesigned for the new 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform

I'm not trying to say it's a bad platform, not at all...

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 02:47:29 pm »

still, how much?

Double wishbones up front, multi-link in the rear, what a horrible platform to retain. ???
I'm just hoping that they don't pork it out like it's competitors have been doing.  As far as I know these cars have been reliable and so has the Fusion which should continue if they keep the same oily bits from the previous gen.

This test drive review sums up the new Mazda6 dynamics quite well - "Going against the current trend, the new Mazda 6 is... lighter than the old one. Judicious use of new high tensile steels has resulted in weight reductions of up to 35kg compared to its predecessor. A “Weight-Watchers”-style diet that has given it much vitality, particularly in this 170PS 2.5-litre petrol version, as well as handling that is still agile and efficient. The only slight criticisms are that the suspension is still a little too stiff and the electric power assist steering is not as pleasant as the previous hydraulic version. However, the Mazda 6 has improved its soundproofing, taken care over aerodynamics (drag coefficient of 0.27) and now filters out noise much better."

I think people will very surprised at how much larger the new Mazda6 looks, IMO not a sporty as the out going model but it gives the perception of being an entry lux segment vehicle, in all aspects meaning exterior & interior execution, plus it still retains its sporty character just in a more refined way.
Remember that Mazda has used the BMW 3 series as a bench mark for the Mazda6 since its inception.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 06:01:52 pm »

and those vehicles give a higher profit margin .... hmmm

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 07:17:59 pm »

and those vehicles give a higher profit margin .... hmmm

Not to mention, if Camry sedan + Camry wagon sales were lower than Camry sedan + Highlander (Camry-based crossover) sales, I wouldn't say that dropping the Camry wagon actually caused a decrease in sales.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 07:42:51 pm »
Instead of two car lines ie Camry and Corolla, now they have four, Camry, Highlander, Corolla, Rav; each requiring engineering, sales, tooling.

Arthur is exactly right of course, margins are much higher on RAV and Highlander than on Corolla or Camry wagons. The CUVs are also much worse on fuel (aerodynamics are aerodynamics, large frontal areas and underbody turbulence are part and parcel of the CUV/SUV format). With fuel prices rising, I'd imagine a return to more pragmatic designs won't be far away.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 12:12:25 am »
It does seem like the Venza is Toyota creeping back towards a Camry hatch.  I haven't done the measurements but it seems like its only a tad bit taller from the pictures.  Much less SUV like but retaining some of the styling.

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 12:16:21 am »
In the picture in the first post, the plastic piece behind the rear side window of the US Spec car appears to be larger than on the European version, so it may be a larger vehicle.  ???

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 01:08:05 am »
Hmmm... There's something about the new 6 that I don't quite like, in both Euro and N/A versions... I may change my mind once I see it in person, but in the pictures it's starting too look boated and a bit too much like Lexus/Toyota. I suppose that may help improve sales numbers for Mazda. Too bad they're dropping the wagon and hatch models for N/A.

The only things I like so far are:
1. 6 speed manual, its really needed for highway crusing. and
2. I like the flared out fenders because it reminds me a bit of the RX-8, but the rest of the styling I don't care so much for.

I hope to see something better by the time I need a replacement for mine.

ghost

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 02:27:45 pm »
No wagon = MEGA FAILURE!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
No wagon = MEGA FAILURE!

Anybody have the sales number for the wagon vs the CX-7?  I'd say the CX-7 outsold the wagon 4-1.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 04:54:09 pm »
Imagine if they brought over the MPS 6-Estate here  :o

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/220947/new_mazdas_at_double.html

Like the previous-generation 6 MPS, there will be four-wheel drive, stiffened and lowered suspension and uprated brakes. The car will cover 0-60mph in six seconds, with a top speed limited to 155mph. Mazda is expected to take the wraps off a concept version at October’s Paris Motor Show, where bosses will gauge public reaction. The production model should arrive in 2010. However, unlike its predecessor, which was available only as a saloon, the firm has plans for estate, coupé and cabriolet MPS variants, as well as the hatch.

Don't worry, I know I'm dreaming.