Author Topic: Mazda6 US-spec unveiled  (Read 32885 times)

ghost

Re: Mazda6 US-spec unveiled
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2008, 03:03:52 am »
 :laugh: Too funny. To be fair though, the wagon format did enjoy a short renaissance a few years ago. At least we still get the legacy wagon here. Folks down south had to contend with the Outback if they wanted wagon and only in auto mode too. Even the Magnum wagon is no longer available.
Reason why Mazda NA killed off the wagon for 08 and now even the hatchback didn't make the cut for Mazda6 Part Deux. From all the photos, the hatch and wagon looked best. The sedan just doesn't do it for me. Too pedestrian.
In my quest to find a replacement for our 92x, we drove a few SUVs just for kicks to see what is all the fuss. We don't forge rivers, bound over the northern Steppes nor slide our way around logging trails. Just don't see the need for such clumsy jacked up wagons.  :think:

Mitlov

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2008, 04:18:48 am »
Ten gazillion high-res shots here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/16/pics-aplenty-2009-mazda6/

The looks have really grown on me.  More importantly, it's gotten some fantastic initial reviews from C&D and Automobile.  Apparently, while they upped the size and refinement, they didn't mess up the handling (*cough*TSX*cough*).  It's remarkably free of understeer, possessing very neutral and precise handling.  That, plus the fuel-efficient four-cylinder mated to a six-speed manual, makes a Mazda6 2.5 look like an extremely tempting option should I decide I need more room than my Jetta offers.

EDIT:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-mazda6-5/927514/full/

Stunning side-profile for a "family sedan."  I'm really digging it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:23:10 am by Mitlov »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2008, 07:52:10 am »
I am very much liking this car. Hope they offer more interior color options though.

Mitlov aren't you disappointed though with no Manual V6 combo?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2008, 09:54:54 am »
Still like the rest of world version a tiny bit better but this still looks really nice.  It does look a little like its competitors but I guess thats what happens when you want this kind of style/shape.  See how it does in the reviews and see how it does in the reliability reports.

Mitlov

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2008, 11:34:23 am »
I am very much liking this car. Hope they offer more interior color options though.

Mitlov aren't you disappointed though with no Manual V6 combo?

Nope, I'm not a big fan of larger, V6, FWD sedans.  Too nose-heavy.  I'm I'm going to drive a bigger FWD sedan, I'd rather have more balanced handling than more power.

Mitlov

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »
The front seats are too wide to offer serious lateral support, but the 6 feels a full size smaller than it is once you're moving. The Accord and the Camry feel like Buicks by comparison, because the Mazda's body motions are so tight and well-controlled. The 6's steering, administered through a small-diameter, leather-wrapped wheel, is precise in the way none of its competitors' is. Effort builds naturally and progressively off center, and torque steer is admirably absent.

Without question, though, the four-cylinder Mazda 6 is the handling champ in this segment. The V-6's optional eighteen-inch wheels generate loads of grip, but the lighter engine gives the four-pot 6 balance unlike any other large front-wheel-drive car. At-the-limit handling is nearly neutral, with all four tires generating their share of grip - quite the opposite of the understeer-only Camry, for example.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/drive...da_6/index.html

As this mid-size class matures along with its customers—Mazda looks hopefully toward the 50-to-54-year-olds now—the machinery drifts inevitably toward practiced competence instead of passion, appliances for the road. The Camry has been there for years. The latest Accord comes close. The Altima, alone, still fits in sports clothes. Now comes a new Mazda 6 promising the most difficult of all straddles—refined manners and appointments overlaid on high-spirited reflexes.

After a few hours of driving early preproduction samples around Southern California, we think mission accomplished. Steering is light and alive, yet it grooves in on straight-ahead when the path calls for it. Slack has been zeroed out of brake-pedal motion. Ride is well controlled without being harsh, and noises, both road and wind, are dialed way back. Bottom line: The Mazda 6 was never like this. Think Mazda 7.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...st_drive_review

von_khan

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 12:50:52 pm »
No manual on the V6?
Psh.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »
It seems like Mazda has another "best-in-class" vehicle (along with Mazda3 and CX-9) if not the "best-in-class" selling vehicle. No big surprise here.

von_khan

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 07:22:33 pm »
Just watch out for the transmissions on the generation going out. Mine died at 63K, my friend's 06 tranny died at 35K (!).

Autos on V6 sedans.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:25 pm »
^^Wow really?  So did my buddy's Mazda6.  That was the only thing that went wrong with his..covered under warranty. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Mazda 3 Leased and Returned / 2007 Infiniti G35X Current
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2008, 01:21:59 pm »
I do hope that Mazda 6 has a better A/C & Heating unit than the one in my Mazda 3 sport GS.

In my car, the summer is hot and the winter is foggy.. my biggest and only complaint in the car that I have been driving for the last 3 and half yrs. Otherwise, great car, no probs ( touchwood...so far) with great handling to boot.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 02:11:05 am »
For those in Ontario interested in seeing the new Mazda6:

From Jeff-TheBiz

Quick Announcment... Feel free to join us at:

This Sunday from 10-5 at Centennial Park the 4th annual "Meeting of the Mazda"

All are welcome to attend, and the proceeds go to the sick kids hospital.

Anyone who is interested in seeing a 2009 Mazda6 up close.... I will have one there generously provided by Mazda Canada.

And no... you can't test drive it.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?s=fa6be39459582b40319dab9cf38bb30f&t=433591&page=90

Light22

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 10:24:16 am »
hmmm... does it say anywhere about its fuel economy???

Light22

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 10:25:04 am »
n hopefully, this mazda 6 provides some indication of the new facelifted mazda 3 coming out... cuz itz lookz not bad.. man.. itz so hard to decide wat car to get

Mitlov

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2008, 01:24:33 pm »

In US gallons, according to the EPA's pessimistic ratings, it should be 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway for the i4; 17 mpg city, 25 mpg highway for the V6.  For comparison, the Accord is rated at 22 mpg city, 31 mpg highway for the i4; 19 mpg city, 29 mpg highway for the V6.  The i4 is very competitive, but the V6 is several MPG down on the leaders.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/family_four_doors/2009_mazda_6_first_drive_review+t-specs+page-3.html

von_khan

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2008, 06:40:27 pm »
^^Wow really?  So did my buddy's Mazda6.  That was the only thing that went wrong with his..covered under warranty. 

Yep all of them have those nasty Jatco transmissions. I wouldnt trust a 6 past its 100k powertrain warranty. Stay the heck away.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »
Hmmmm.... I like this car a lot!

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2008, 08:06:52 pm »

In US gallons, according to the EPA's pessimistic ratings, it should be 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway for the i4; 17 mpg city, 25 mpg highway for the V6.  For comparison, the Accord is rated at 22 mpg city, 31 mpg highway for the i4; 19 mpg city, 29 mpg highway for the V6.  The i4 is very competitive, but the V6 is several MPG down on the leaders.

That V6 is hurting. Mileage counts big time in this category, regardless of I4 or V6.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12409
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2008, 10:41:31 am »
Is there some conspiracy to eradicate any trace of sportiness from the Japanese mid-size sedan class?  "Bigger and softer" seems to be the design mantra of each new offering - Accord, TSX and now the Mazda 6 - all vehicles in respect of which I found much to admire in their previous renditions, and decidedly less so in their new, comparatively super-sized offerings.

At least the 6 offers some appealing lines to delight the eye  - but even there the North American version looks like not-quite-as-attractive cousin to the Hotsy-Totsy Euro line-up.

And no stick for the V6 postively sucks (at least for me and the 2 or 3 other guys that apparently still want one).

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2008, 11:00:11 am »
Is there some conspiracy to eradicate any trace of sportiness from the Japanese mid-size sedan class?  "Bigger and softer" seems to be the design mantra of each new offering - Accord, TSX and now the Mazda 6 - all vehicles in respect of which I found much to admire in their previous renditions, and decidedly less so in their new, comparatively super-sized offerings.

At least the 6 offers some appealing lines to delight the eye  - but even there the North American version looks like not-quite-as-attractive cousin to the Hotsy-Totsy Euro line-up.

And no stick for the V6 postively sucks (at least for me and the 2 or 3 other guys that apparently still want one).

Jaeger

In North America the "bigger is better" mentality still holds, because people down in the US are bigger!
The Accord, Camry and Altima are the current top 3 Japanese mid sizers.
The Mazda6 went with the smaller more nimble "Zoom Zoom" approach 5 years ago, what happened? slow, slow sales.
This generation is going to be "Zoom Zoom" super sized.

Having 2 versions of the mid-size is not a new thing.
JDM/NA Accord, Altima/Teina, Camry/Avensis.
And the norm is JDM/Euro versions are small and more refined, N/A versions are bigger and more powerful.
Personal I prefer the JDM/Euro versions, quality over quantity.

We will see if this trend continues with the 2010 Subaru Legacy, my guess is, it will.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:04:37 am by JSCC »
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package