Author Topic: 2008 Malibu LTZ 2.4/6speed AT - better FE than 09 Camry and 08 Accord  (Read 32522 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Malibu LTZ 2.4/6speed AT - better FE than 09 Camry and 08 Accord
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 07:36:39 pm »

I

This is the problem - you cannot remember anything CORRECTLY:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124482
GM Edges Toyota in Global Sales in 2007

Again, WRONG.

No..Steve's right.  He said NORTH AMERICAN SALES...you are showing a link to GLOBAL SALES (who has the reading problem??).  Toyota had beat GM in at least 2 quarter for North America.  Big difference between global and NA sales.  But while you're on the global kick, Toyota surpasses GM for global for Q1.  http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080423/gm_global_sales.html?.v=8

And as far as numbers of the trannies made...you can't option/build a 4 banger Malibu in Canada with the 6 speed....yet..

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:11:29 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Wolfe

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 07:44:34 pm »

"You need to post those figures from last year.  Can't say I recall that, but it seems to me Toyota did out sell GM worldwide in 2007.  Anyways, GM will never recover because it's tanking in North America and because of the gas crisis you haven't seen anything yet.  :o"

Again, WRONG.

Sure, but only if GM counts other manufacturers cars in addition to their own.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,49200.msg473376.html#msg473376

Did GM count the NUMMI built Corollas and Japanese market Matrices in their 2007 figures the same way they counted the cars from their Chinese joint venture partners? That would be really funny.

GM will never recover? You made the prediction they will be in Chapter 11 in 2009 are you sticking with that still or have you changed your tune?

More importantly will you finally admit when GM is not in chapter 11 that you just plain don't have a clue what you write about?

They may not be in Chapter 11 now but I've taken a LEAP(S) for January 2010.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:32 pm »
Exactly! Why can't Toyota or GM offer a decent manual transmission in either of these? No manual, no interest.

The issue isn't that they can't offer a decent manual, the issue is that that virtually no one would buy one if they did. Besides even a good manual transmission will not transform a Malibu or a Camry into a real driver's car.

That's true in the States. The last time I found some info on the subject about 25% of new car sales in Canada had manual transmissions. This despite the fact that many car makers have been eliminating them from the options sheet.

Our Subaru salesman said that in the last few years they've been ordering higher and higher percentages of manual transmissioned cars, yet always sell out. Which is why I'm still waiting for delivery of the Outback.

I haven't driven the Malibu, but I've had rental Camrys, and you are correct, low on the fun factor.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Wolfe

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 08:07:23 pm »
Yeah, maybe 25% of new cars sold here in Canada might be Manuals but (a) our market is smaller than California's and (b) I'd bet that the percentage of the family sedan category sales of manual transmissions are relatively less than the 25% overall   number.

Unless the car will also be sold as a coupe model (like the Accord and Altima) the extra development, parts and inventory costs of offering both types of transmissions vs. the tiny incremental sales increase probably doesn't add up to a profitable number for the company.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »
The issue isn't that they can't offer a decent manual, the issue is that that virtually no one would buy one if they did. Besides even a good manual transmission will not transform a Malibu or a Camry into a real driver's car.

Absolutely. These cars are A-B slush box transportation at their best or worst, depending on how you view these things.  :)

To get a 5 speed manual in the Camry SE 4 banger requires a special order and at least a $2500. deposit the demand is so non existent and the dealer doesn't want to get stuck with it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »

Again, WRONG.

Actually, Automotive News took the title of global leader away from GM in 2007 because GM included some Chinese sales of which they only owned 30% share in the company contrary to the RULES.  :)

In any event, GM has lost that title permanently me thinks.

GM is in terrible shape.  GMAC, part of Chrysler now, is so tied up in that bad mortgage asset backed paper business they are really limited in making auto loans.  The recession in the US will last to 2010 and they have too many dealers, too many products.  I think the US unit will end up Chapter 11.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »
"DETROIT – Chevrolet's popular, award-winning 2008 Malibu offers an expanded range of customer choices this spring, with an efficient four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination offered on LTZ models.

A 2.4L Ecotec engine is partnered with a 6T40 transmission to deliver a great balance of performance and fuel efficiency. The EPA-estimated fuel economy for this combination is 22 mpg in the city and 32 on the highway.

"This new Malibu LTZ model answers customers' calls for a premium-equipped car with an efficient, four-cylinder engine," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "With this new model, the Malibu lineup offers an unmatched range of powertrains, technology and amenities, along with the great styling that has helped make it a runaway success since the first '08 model rolled off the line."

The new Malibu LTZ model has a MSRP of $26,545 (including a $650 destination charge). It joins an already diverse lineup of Malibu models, ranging from the value-driven LS to powerful V-6 LT and LTZ models, as well as the unique, fuel-saving Malibu Hybrid.

The Malibu LTZ with the 2.4L/six-speed powertrain is distinguishable on the exterior with unique, 17-inch Chrometec wheels and a single, chrome exhaust outlet. Inside is the same upscale interior as V-6-powered LTZ models.

"Matching the 2.4L engine with a six-speed delivers a lively driving experience that is unlike any other four-cylinder in the segment," said Peper. "The unique performance characteristics of the six-speed transmission enhance the feeling of a quieter, more refined driving experience."

Powertrain details
The 2.4L Ecotec engine is renowned for its performance and efficiency. It uses variable valve timing to optimize power and fuel economy. The engine is rated at 169 horsepower (126 kW), which is comparable to the four-cylinder engines from competitors such as the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima and Hyundai Sonata. None of those competitors, however, offers a six-speed automatic with their four-cylinder engine.

Matched with the 2.4L engine is the Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed transmission. It is part of a new family of six-speed automatics that GM committed to developing only a few years ago. Clutch-to-clutch technology and other high-tech features are employed to maximize its performance while simultaneously minimizing its overall size. A wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio enables strong launch acceleration, while carefully spaced "steps" between the gears balance performance and fuel economy. The driver can manually tap up or tap down through the gears for more control.

The efficiency benefit of the six-speed automatic comes through the lower operating speed of the 2.4L engine. This reduces fuel consumption and contributes to quieter, more isolated operation. The feeling of performance is heightened with the four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination, too, as the engine can always operate close to the optimum speed.

Style and refinement
Malibu LTZ comprises a distinctive package of style, features and attention to detail. It carries a strong stance and bold proportions, with front fog lamps and clear-lens LED-lit taillamps unique to the model. Precise details, including minimized panel gaps, a tight wheel-to-body relationship and select use of chrome trim, reinforce the Malibu's refinement.

Inside, the Malibu LTZ is offered with two-tone trim combinations, including Ebony and Brick and Cocoa and Cashmere. The cabin also features black-chrome accents, a specific instrument layout and unique, two-tone leather seating surfaces. Heated seats are standard.

The interior's attention to detail is highlighted by an ergonomic design and premium materials that convey quality and value. An integrated, flowing instrument panel features a Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit design, with prominent gauges backlit in blue. Ambient lighting in areas such as the overhead console and door-pull pockets enhances the Malibu's inviting feel.

Malibu LTZ also comes with Turn-by-Turn navigation provided by OnStar, standard XM Satellite Radio and the premium amplified eight-speaker audio system."

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04/24/chevrolet-adds-a-4-cylinder-6-speed-combo-to-malibu-lineup/
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:25 pm »

Again, WRONG.

Actually, Automotive News took the title of global leader away from GM in 2007 because GM included some Chinese sales of which they only owned 30% share in the company contrary to the RULES.  :)

In any event, GM has lost that title permanently me thinks.

GM is in terrible shape.  GMAC, part of Chrysler now, is so tied up in that bad mortgage asset backed paper business they are really limited in making auto loans.  The recession in the US will last to 2010 and they have too many dealers, too many products.  I think the US unit will end up Chapter 11.

ONE site on the internet - www.automotivenews.com - says it doesn't want to count GM's 34 percent stake in a three way partnership in China..... everyone else, including GMs own press, got it wrong? OK sure there artic awesome way to go!

RULES? what RULES? 'those rules' are created and maintained by who exactly? can you provide a copy of those 'rules'? LOL

While your at it, explain if AN removed the many Toyota's made at various plants around the world where they also do not have a 50 percent stake....... you really have no idea, do you?

You do realize that Toyota IS building Camrys in a Subaru plant in the US right now, right? nah of course you didn't. Why would you - you only love Toyota off.

Why count thos cars made there? Toyota doesn't own a 50 percent stake in Subaru so it is AGAINST THE RULES. LOL

Unless the rules only count for GM? And what is equally interesting is why no outcry from earlier years where GM counted the sales?

It seems to me they wanted some attention for themselves..... and you found them!

PS - read up on Toyota here:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toyota/manufacturing/worldwide.html

perhaps AN should look and see just how many Toyota's really aren't 'Toyotas' afterall based on their 'rules' - and while they are at it, were all of those vehicles removed from Toyota's total?

Me thinks you may be right about GM not selling as many cars this year as Toyota. But How can anyone, except a well informed individual such as yourself, be sure?

Again with the GM in chapter 11 crap.

When they aren't in Chapter 11 in 2009 will you finally admit you haven't a clue? or will you continue to write your nonsense?

blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:36 pm »
Ok...well even not counting any "rules", Toyota is ahead of GM for Q1 for global sales....(shrug)....

I'm curious to see how GM handles the upcoming CAW negotiations.  GM wants rollbacks...CAW says "screw you". 

I'm siding with GM on this one......and hope the strike, if any, doesn't hurt them long term...

Mitlov

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »
Why do people care if Toyota sells more units than GM or vice versa?  I don't understand why this matters at all to individual consumers.  Even with brands I like (and neither Toyota nor GM are at the top of that list, just for the record), I don't keep track of whether their sales numbers are higher or lower than X competitor.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 12:05:47 am »
Why do people care if Toyota sells more units than GM or vice versa?  I don't understand why this matters at all to individual consumers.  Even with brands I like (and neither Toyota nor GM are at the top of that list, just for the record), I don't keep track of whether their sales numbers are higher or lower than X competitor.

:iagree:

But its a GM-Toyo holy war....just let it be. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

barrie1

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2008, 12:08:07 am »
No only Artic does around Here as it makes him think he actually knows something about GM which he does not at all. He has absolutely nothing to do with them in one hand he says and yet supposively knows all about it as well in the other hand. Ya right, can you speak from both sides of the face at once as well I wonder.  :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 12:10:17 am »
^^^^By the same token, Barrie, you seem to know all about Toyota's supposed lack of quality, or that they can't make trucks, or that they do this or that.......or whatever about them.  Isn't this a bit of a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 12:46:57 am »
No only Artic does around Here as it makes him think he actually knows something about GM which he does not at all. He has absolutely nothing to do with them in one hand he says and yet supposively knows all about it as well in the other hand. Ya right, can you speak from both sides of the face at once as well I wonder.  :(

No only Artic does around Here as it makes him think he actually knows something   

Before you engage in personal attacks at least attempt to be somewhat coherent.  ::)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 09:29:59 am »
Oh..so this is the same 6 speed from the V6 cars?  If that's the case, i read a not-so-kind review of the 6 speed in Motor Trend yesterday..specifically in the G6 Pontiac.

Lesson 1:  Don't get your facts from Motor Trend, and certainly don't let on that you read that rag...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:39 am »

Yes, it really is baffling to me that people with no financial stake will become so vehement about supporting or condemning a company. Getting excited about a particular car that a person likes or dislikes I can understand. But how do people become mindless cheerleaders or assassins of entire corporations based on their sales numbers? Maybe if this was a financial site and people were comparing the performance of stocks in these companies but it gets pretty stupid around here sometimes.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:25 am »
Ok...well even not counting any "rules", Toyota is ahead of GM for Q1 for global sales....(shrug)....

I'm curious to see how GM handles the upcoming CAW negotiations.  GM wants rollbacks...CAW says "screw you". 

I'm siding with GM on this one......and hope the strike, if any, doesn't hurt them long term...

Toyota is ahead in 1st quarter sales, again, same as last year. This year, given the gas prices and the economy in the US, they will likely not be number 1.

But, being number 2 in worldwide sales does not equal chapter 11 as artic believes foolishly.

I for one couldn't car less if GM is number 2 number 1 or number 3! doesn't matter in the least. It is far more important to become profitable and smaller than be number 1 at all costs.

That of course does not mean that they are going to roll-over and give it up though.

As for GM and the CAW contract talks this one could get messy. GM is really considering closing one of the Oshawa plants (even though they are the best plants in NA) so Buzz and the CAW had better come tot he table with a better game plan than strike strike strike - because in this case three strikes could mean they really are out - out on the streets.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 11:21:02 am »

Yes, it really is baffling to me that people with no financial stake will become so vehement about supporting or condemning a company. Getting excited about a particular car that a person likes or dislikes I can understand. But how do people become mindless cheerleaders or assassins of entire corporations based on their sales numbers? Maybe if this was a financial site and people were comparing the performance of stocks in these companies but it gets pretty stupid around here sometimes.

These kind posts amuses me. Grown-up adults (assuming) acting like kindergarten toddlers (at times) ... my dad drives a bigger truck .... my dad has a better job ...

Leviathan

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 12:05:03 pm »
All the chest thumping aside, this will be a nice car. If GM made that 2.4L direct injected with ~180hp/tq and better fuel economy then it would be at the head of the class.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 01:23:10 pm »
But, being number 2 in worldwide sales does not equal chapter 11 as artic believes foolishly.

GM operations in different countries are separate legal entities.  Consequently, GM's US operation can enter Chapter 11 independently.  Chapter 11 in the US is used often to restructure companies and burn creditors, labor unions and in this case, dealers.  It will happen. Because of the Iraq war and oil 2008 and 2009 are going to be bad for all the car companies, but brtual for the habitual money losers who have no reserves and scant product.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:26:27 pm by articsteve »