Author Topic: 2008 Malibu LTZ 2.4/6speed AT - better FE than 09 Camry and 08 Accord  (Read 32545 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: 2008 Malibu LTZ 2.4/6speed AT - better FE than 09 Camry and 08 Accord
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »
Isn't this  a rehashed thread from a couple of months back when the malibu first debuted.

There is nothing wrong with a good plate of rehashed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 05:48:05 pm »
Oh..so this is the same 6 speed from the V6 cars?  If that's the case, i read a not-so-kind review of the 6 speed in Motor Trend yesterday..specifically in the G6 Pontiac.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »
I want to know how many litres it will take to  get to my destination.

Yes, and that is the exact reason why L/km makes more sense. You mentally divide by 100 instead of like...6.5, 7.5, or 15 if you drive a G35.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 06:11:57 pm »
Oh..so this is the same 6 speed from the V6 cars?

It's the old foray into the famous GM parts bin.

Discussion between two GM engineers:

"Charlie, where's the tranny at for the 2.4 Malibu".

How long you been working for GM dumbass? replies Bill.  "Go over to the parts bin and grab the tranny for the V6 and slap that sucker in".  :)

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 08:29:27 pm »
Using a tranny that was designed to handle the torque of a 6 cylinder on a 4 cylinder is a good thing.  There is nothing wrong with raiding the corporate parts bin if the component in question is a good one.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:47 pm »
I completely disagree and will now leave the thread.  :)

Greg B.

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:46 pm »

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 09:59:50 pm »
I completely disagree and will now leave the thread.  :)

Is that a promise?  BTW anyone who thinks a tranny designed for 250 ft.lbs isn't better than one that's designed for 160 ft.lbs should give their head a shake.

Disagree all you like.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 10:13:02 pm »
Latest review I read about the tranny in this month's Motor Trend.  That's for the V6...wonder if these issues can be smoothed out for the 4 banger...

The transmission is still intact, but the action goes from buttery smooth to belligerently spasmodic. So solid and refined on the freeway, the manually shiftable six-speed always seems a second behind in the canyons and irritated because of it. The concept is nice, slide a notch down from Drive into Manual mode and the lever automatically slides to the right, so the gears can be toggled sequentially, continentally -- forward for upshift, back for downshift.

The problem is changing gears in M-mode is slow when you're driving merely sporty and positively maddening when you're really going for it. The red LCD gear indicator changes as soon as you tap the stick, but the actual cog swap is much slower.

High-rpm off-throttle response is particularly terrible; come off the gas into a turn, high in the rpms, and replant the pedal at exit and you're greeted by...nothing -- then, a jerky, jolting engagement. This means either planning far ahead when cornering or finding a way to corner with the throttle partially engaged throughout the whole turn. Good for left-foot brakers, but not for mere mortals.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:34:36 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:03 pm »
Is that a promise?

No.  :)

BTW anyone who thinks a tranny designed for 250 ft.lbs isn't better than one that's designed for 160 ft.lbs should give their head a shake.

That's the basis of your claim; because more is better.   ::)

I contend that the 4 banger will not make enough torque to utilize the gear ratios and the torque converter designed for higher spec.  Then they'll try and over compensate with different programming.

It's a GM band-aid because they simply underestimated the market.  As usual.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:38 pm »
Is that a promise?

No.  :)

BTW anyone who thinks a tranny designed for 250 ft.lbs isn't better than one that's designed for 160 ft.lbs should give their head a shake.

That's the basis of your claim; because more is better.   ::)

I contend that the 4 banger will not make enough torque to utilize the gear ratios and the torque converter designed for higher spec.  Then they'll try and over compensate with different programming.

It's a GM band-aid because they simply underestimated the market.  As usual.

Yes when it comes to capacity, more is better.  More often than not, its bearing life that determines capacity of tranny.  If you cut the load on a gearbox in half, you typically see 5 to 10 times the bearing life.  This tranny is a 6 speed which should make the ratios close enough to keep the engine in the meat of it's torque band.  Also, just because the tranny is the same does not mean the torque converter is also the same, they could use one with a higher stall.  The 4 banger may also have a lighter flyweel and other rotational like wheels, brakes etc. 

Also, the 4 banger has will have shorter gear ratios and final drive ratio.

BTW are you sure they are same trannys?  There are two 6-speeds listed for the malibu, one is a 6T40 and the other is the 6T70.  Maybe, it's not a band-aid after all.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »
6T40   6T70

Are variants of each other.  One light duty and other medium duty whatever that means  ??? 

OK, according to the below captioned GM has yet to produce a transmission specifically designed for the 4 banger, but in the interim have adapted the 6T70 into a 6T40.  Seems to me GM is designing the Malibu 4 banger on the fly.  Why even launch it with the 4 speed.  What was the rush?  :)  Why introduce a diluted product at launch?

What say you Jack?  :)

TOLEDO, Ohio — General Motors said it will invest $332 million in its transmission plant here to launch a new six-speed automatic for midsize, front-wheel-drive vehicles.

Production of the new Hydra-matic 6T40/45 six-speed, which has been designed to combine enhanced fuel economy with excellent performance, is slated to begin in February 2010.

While GM continues to invest in six-speed automatics — the new family will be its fourth — competitors in Japan and Europe already are moving to more advanced designs. Volkswagen and Audi are working with suppliers to bring new seven-speed automatics to market, while Lexus already has launched the world's first eight-speed automatic in its flagship LS sedan.

GM's Toledo plant will also build a six-speed automatic for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. The $540-million investment was announced last year.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:48:07 pm by articsteve »

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2008, 01:00:37 pm »
Articsteve once again you prove really don't have a clue, do you? I can't believe you even bother to write what you do - here are some choice ones just in the past 24 hours.....

Once again I contend that you can't prove anything you write. So prove me wrong with FACTS not your 'beliefs':

1)"I contend that the 4 banger will not make enough torque to utilize the gear ratios and the torque converter designed for higher spec.  Then they'll try and over compensate with different programming."

I contend you don't have any idea what you are writing about. Do you know anything about the 6t40? OBVIOUSLY not.
Maybe you should learn about the transmission before you make such a statement.

Prove anything from your statement above with facts. Can't can you? wanna know why - because your wrong AGAIN.

2) "according to the below captioned GM has yet to produce a transmission specifically designed for the 4 banger, but in the interim have adapted the 6T70 into a 6T40"

Read up on the 6t40 and find anywhere that says it is an interim transmission or was not designed for 4 cylinder engines. Can't can you - wrong AGAIN.

P.S.  the article you posted does not even back up what you wrote ha ha ha ha ha and what is really funny is that the Malibu is being made right now with this transmission - not starting in Feb 2010 as the article says! Great source artic.

3) "Why even launch it with the 4 speed"

I agree with this. But answer me as to why Toyota chooses to do this as well? hmmmm let me guess Toyota brochures/specs are wrong and every car/suv has more than 4 forward gears - RIGHT.

4) "6T40   6T70

Are variants of each other.  One light duty and other medium duty whatever that means"

it means one is designed for more torque like 6s while the other is designed for less torque as in 4s.....

5) "Toyota just blew past GM on worldwide sales"
what happened last year.... you don't remember do you? Here is a hint, Toyota was ahead in the 1st Quarter last year as well.... and what happened at the end of the year? take a wild guess.

blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »
According to NRCanada...

Accord 4-cyl AT: 9.9L/100K city / 6.5L/100K hwy or 29mpg city / 43mpg hwy

Sonata 4-cyl AT: 9.9 / 6.5 or 29 / 43

Camry 4-cyl AT: 9.5 / 6.2 or 30 / 46 - near identical but fraction worse.

Malibu LTZ 4-cyl AT: 9.5 / 6.1 or 30 / 46 - nothing to sneeze at, and best highway!

Altima 4-cyl CVT: 8.9 / 6.3 or 32 / 45 - best!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:29:51 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »
Articsteve once again you prove really don't have a clue, do you? I can't believe you even bother to write what you do - here are some choice ones just in the past 24 hours.....

:rofl:

FRUSTRATION:  a deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs.   :)

2) "according to the below captioned GM has yet to produce a transmission specifically designed for the 4 banger, but in the interim have adapted the 6T70 into a 6T40"

Read up on the 6t40 and find anywhere that says it is an interim transmission or was not designed for 4 cylinder engines. Can't can you - wrong AGAIN.

P.S.  the article you posted does not even back up what you wrote ha ha ha ha ha and what is really funny is that the Malibu is being made right now with this transmission - not starting in Feb 2010 as the article says! Great source artic.

Obviously GM has modified the 6 speed going into the 4 banger overpriced LZT as an emergency effort.  Not available for the main stream 4 bangers. I think that proves the article correct that the 4 banger 6 speed has yet to be built in volume.

3) "Why even launch it with the 4 speed"

I agree with this. But answer me as to why Toyota chooses to do this as well? hmmmm let me guess Toyota brochures/specs are wrong and every car/suv has more than 4 forward gears - RIGHT.

Sorry, too incoherent to reply to.  :)

4) "6T40   6T70

Are variants of each other.  One light duty and other medium duty whatever that means"

it means one is designed for more torque like 6s while the other is designed for less torque as in 4s.....

All that means to me is that they obviously needed to adapt a different set of mounting points.

5) "Toyota just blew past GM on worldwide sales"
what happened last year.... you don't remember do you? Here is a hint, Toyota was ahead in the 1st Quarter last year as well.... and what happened at the end of the year? take a wild guess.

You need to post those figures from last year.  Can't say I recall that, but it seems to me Toyota did out sell GM worldwide in 2007.  Anyways, GM will never recover because it's tanking in North America and because of the gas crisis you haven't seen anything yet.  :o

DETROIT - Toyota has taken the global automotive sales lead from General Motors, selling 2.41 million vehicles to GM's 2.25 million during the first three months of the year.

GM said Wednesday its first-quarter sales dropped across the globe by less than one per cent, but Toyota said its sales were up 2.7 per cent during the January-March period.

Toyota Motor Corp., Japan's top automaker, said its global sales rose on the back of steady demand in Asia and strong demand in Europe.

General Motors Corp. barely won the global sales race with Toyota last year. But Toyota overtook GM as the world's top automaker as measured by global vehicle production in 2007.
  cbc.ca

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2008, 04:48:09 pm »
Great - way to go artic! once again you make a bunch of useless statements and then when called on them you offer NO factual evidence.

I love this one:
"Obviously GM has modified the 6 speed going into the 4 banger overpriced LZT as an emergency effort.  Not available for the main stream 4 bangers. I think that proves the article correct that the 4 banger 6 speed has yet to be built in volume."

Ummmmm the article you posted says nothing like that, artic, sorry. Once again your WRONG ha ha ha ha maybe you need to re-read your own source of info a little s-l-o-w-e-r ha ha ha ha

"Sorry, too incoherent to reply to.  :)"[/
b]

What I was refering to is your inability to believe even what Toyota says about their own vehicles - ahem - ALL-NEW 1.8 in the ALL-NEW 2009 Corolla ha ha ha ha right - Toyota knows less than you about their own cars! right on artic!

And here it is in a much more simple format:
why is it wrong for GM to use 4speed autos on their new vehicles when Toyota does the same thing?

I for one cannot wait for this answer!

"You need to post those figures from last year.  Can't say I recall that, but it seems to me Toyota did out sell GM worldwide in 2007.  Anyways, GM will never recover because it's tanking in North America and because of the gas crisis you haven't seen anything yet.  :o"

This is the problem - you cannot remember anything CORRECTLY:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124482
GM Edges Toyota in Global Sales in 2007

Again, WRONG.

GM will never recover? You made the prediction they will be in Chapter 11 in 2009 are you sticking with that still or have you changed your tune?

More importantly will you finally admit when GM is not in chapter 11 that you just plain don't have a clue what you write about?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2008, 05:02:31 pm »
General Motors Corp. barely won the global sales race with Toyota last year. But Toyota overtook GM as the world's top automaker as measured by global vehicle production in 2007.  cbc.ca

WTF does that even mean? Par for the course for the CBC. ::)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2008, 05:28:20 pm »
You guys are wasting a lot of electrons on a frigging slushbox...why would anyone give a :censor: if it is a made to measure or a modified one of another family it is still a slush box.   By definition slushboxes are boring.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:32:22 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2008, 06:51:11 pm »
Exactly! Why can't Toyota or GM offer a decent manual transmission in either of these? No manual, no interest.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Wolfe

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2008, 07:19:35 pm »
Exactly! Why can't Toyota or GM offer a decent manual transmission in either of these? No manual, no interest.

The issue isn't that they can't offer a decent manual, the issue is that that virtually no one would buy one if they did. Besides even a good manual transmission will not transform a Malibu or a Camry into a real driver's car.