Author Topic: Natural gas line install info....  (Read 16821 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Natural gas line install info....
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 07:31:51 pm »
Is copper tubing on the outside to your local building code?   I thought outside gas pipes should be wrought iron or steel?   Does your city or town require a permit and/or licensed installer? 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:14 pm »
I don't know... last time a licensed guy came and put in copper on the outside.  I talked to another guy he didn't seem to think it was a problem just he didn't like it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:02 pm »
Outside to Outside would be a better solution for me, although it seems dangerous to me -- now you have an open pipe outside with no shutoff?  eek
I'd rather have my gas leaks and explosions OUTSIDE  my house if that's ok  ;D :o
And thats why you use IRON pipe not soft copper tubing that can be cut and dented
 easily.....the new stainless steel stuff is pretty tough but I suspect it ain't cheap... and it is bright yellow.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24:14 pm »
It will have to be at least K copper which is refrigeration grade copper and depending on the distance should probably be at least 1/2" as well. You will need a shutoff valve on the inside and outside as well as one near where the BBQ will join on to the actual curly cable on the BBQ itself. The size of the copper will depend on the BTU output of the BBQ and must be either buried or at least tagged every few feet with special gastags as well. They clearly state this is gastags on the line. Without a permit on the line its possible you may not have any insurance by doing this job yourself. I will look it up in the book to-morrow to get the actual specs for you Wing. How far does it have to travel outside as I need to know that and how many BTU's is your barbie as well.  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:21 pm »
Not sure on the BTU's but it has to go 35' which is pretty far.  Funny the gas guy did none of those things you mentioned, should be the same code in all of ontario you would think.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:30 pm »
Just run it through a garden hose.  Just be sure to wear Nomex while you are grilling....:)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

mar1990

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 11:14:49 pm »
Pool heaters are usually tapped outside right off the meter, and remain outside.  I would expect there to be a shutoff valve right at the start of the run, near the meter.

Did you get a card from the first guy when he did your dryer?

While I would never try to install my own gas line, it is of my opinion that TSSA this is nothing but a money generating scam in the back pocket of the service companies.

The latest regulation just enforces that.   The new TSSA code was that the plastic venting must have a certain marking on it.  Otherwise when the appliance is replaced, the venting must be replaced.  If it hasn't melted in the past, why is it an issue now?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:30 pm »
Here is a link to a pipe sizing guide.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html

This brings back memories of fluid mechanics class.   

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 06:07:15 pm »
"fluid mechanics" is that the lunchtime 6 PAK..??? :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

JBrill

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:10 am »
Outside to Outside would be a better solution for me, although it seems dangerous to me -- now you have an open pipe outside with no shutoff?  eek
I'd rather have my gas leaks and explosions OUTSIDE  my house if that's ok  ;D :o
And thats why you use IRON pipe not soft copper tubing that can be cut and dented
 easily.....the new stainless steel stuff is pretty tough but I suspect it ain't cheap... and it is bright yellow.

I simply painted the bright yellow stainless steel pipe to match my brick colour, took two minutes with a can of Tremclad.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 10:13:33 am »
Well, I talked to another gas guy.  He quoted between $300 - $400 due to the location.

I've decided to sell my NG BBQ and get a Propane one.  My BBQ is 3 or so years old anyways I've already replaced the igniter and the burners were not even anymore.

I'll sell it for a piece of chocolate cake or something -- I'm going to offer it to the woman that bought our house, she needs one and I can guarantee it will fit and no need to run hose ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:24 pm »
Well, I talked to another gas guy.  He quoted between $300 - $400 due to the location.

I've decided to sell my NG BBQ and get a Propane one.  My BBQ is 3 or so years old anyways I've already replaced the igniter and the burners were not even anymore.

I'll sell it for a piece of chocolate cake or something -- I'm going to offer it to the woman that bought our house, she needs one and I can guarantee it will fit and no need to run hose ;)

Not a bad idea. The cost of BBQ's has really tumbled the last few years. I picked up a Broil King Sovereign XL for $700 last summer. The only downside is a grill this size really sucks the juice.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »
go for a Napoleon, their excellent, I just bought a new one and its great

http://www.napoleongrills.com/

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 12:22:37 pm »
who da **** needs a $700 BBQ!!!!............that's fer tha PITS......in Alabama......and restauranteurs.......hell there are umpteen sub $300 units that can burn and cancerize yer BEEF just as well..............threw out ma $99 'cue this week...3 years ..approx 200 plus "meals" on it.......the side burners and half acre surfaces with 3 burners get olde reale quicke unless yer feeding 20 people all weekend around yer Muskoka cottage... :rofl2:

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:17 pm »
My father is still using his 15 year old Thermos BBQ.  The igniter still works!  He sprays it with WD-40 each fall prior to putting the BBQ away for the winter.  It has the original grate, but the burner has been replaced twice.  He might retire it next year.

I have a 6 year old Thermos...with working original igniter.  No need for side burners...that's what the stove in the kitchen is for.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »
Yeah I badly wanted a side burner last time and a rotisserie burner.

Used the rotisserie twice, worked well the second time, first time was just a mess.

The side burner I used maybe a handful of times when it was REALLY hot and humid and we didn't want to boil water in the house.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:53 pm »
who da **** needs a $700 BBQ!!!!............that's fer tha PITS......in Alabama......and restauranteurs.......hell there are umpteen sub $300 units that can burn and cancerize yer BEEF just as well..............threw out ma $99 'cue this week...3 years ..approx 200 plus "meals" on it.......the side burners and half acre surfaces with 3 burners get olde reale quicke unless yer feeding 20 people all weekend around yer Muskoka cottage... :rofl2:

I thought for $700 I was being frugal. I routinely have 15+ relatives hanging around for food. ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 02:03:34 pm »
I suppose it's cheaper than moving!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:48 pm »
"My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!"

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 04:41:46 pm »
Dear God...