Author Topic: Lexus LF-A  (Read 3602 times)

Cortina

Lexus LF-A
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
Wow the looks and speed of a ferrari with the reliability of a Corolla. Bring it on I say. Bring it on. :)

Quote from: autoexpress
Is Lexus finally on track with it's supercar-rivalling LF-A?. Our spies caught this special racing prototype testing at the famous Nurburgring.

Although a production version of the exciting 200mph two-seater is due until 2009, performance fans will get a glimpse of a competition version this year.

Sources within the company claim that the V10-powered coupe is set to make its public debut in May's Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race.

As you can see, the car has been tweaked to give it an edge on the circuit. At the front is a deeper front bumper with larger holes to aid high-speed cooling.

Move around to the rear and you'll spot the tall carbon fibre rear wing and large triple exhausts above a F1-style diffuser. All of this modifications should mean that the LF-A laps considerable quicker than the rumoured 7 minutes 24 secs of the road-based prototype.

However, underneath the all-black bodywork are near standard mechanicals, as engineers at the company are aiming to prove the relaibility of the production car drivetrain.

The newcomer will make its debut on the grid during qualifying for the German event on 23 May.

Mitlov

Re: Lexus LF-A
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:38:02 pm »
Because, as this shares NO components with a Corolla but has the same parent company, it automatically will have the same reliability  ::)

Anyway, it's nice to see that Lexus is moving toward production after what seems like a half-decade of LF-A concepts.

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:45:54 pm »
Because, as this shares NO components with a Corolla but has the same parent company, it automatically will have the same reliability  ::)

Hey its made by Toyota. Their cars don't break.  ;)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »
Not to mention those are not the looks of a Ferrari. Fiero kit car maybe.   :D

Lexus is really trying too hard with their exhaust tip designs lately.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:09:11 pm »
Spy shots of this concept pops up every few months. ::)  I don't know if Toyota's plans are delayed by Nissan (R35) and Honda (NSX).

Note: This one looks like a track car ... too much wing.

Hey its made by Toyota. Their cars don't break.  ;)

Uh uh ... sure.  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »
Shouldn't Nissan sue them for making their beautiful 300zx into a monster?
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 02:41:40 pm »
Shouldn't Nissan sue them for making their beautiful 300zx into a monster?

Yawn.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49:07 pm »
This WAS supposed to debut when Toyota won an F1 race..guess they think it's not going to happen.

The exhaust makes an amazing sound though...This is a fantastic sounding car!

And I'd expect it to be very reliable.  This will be Lexus' "halo" car.  Any problems with this car would be a big blow to the otherwise amazing reliability of the Lexus brand.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:34:10 pm »
Too angular to be Lexus imo. Needs some rounding to mesh with the family.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
Pretty nice so far...looking forward to the rest of the camo coming off and the finished bodywork.  Is it sad that I get excited about these cars because I'll be able to drive them someday in a racing game like Forza Motorsport? :)

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 05:03:46 pm »
It's going to be interesting to see how the LF-A sells - rumours suggest that the price of the LF-A is going to be in 120-150k range.   It also looks like it's going to be a very stylish and aggressive car.  That said,  I'm betting that Toyota engineers are worried about its performance specs compared to the GTR (not to mention the forthcoming GTR Vspec version). 

Mitlov

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 05:24:18 pm »
I wager that the LF-A will be a $200,000 halo car.  I also wager it'll be a hybrid--which won't make a lick of practical sense, as the extra weight will hurt the sportiness and "more fuel-efficient than an equivalent Lamborghini" isn't enough to be a green car IMO.  But Hollywood starlets will love it.

I doubt it will be anything as hard-edged as a GTR.  I think it'll be more about going fast in comfort and style, much like a Maserati Granturismo.

As for the bodywork, I wouldn't worry.  They obviously slapped some cheap crap on it for testing.  I suspect the production version will look more like the stunning LF-A concept:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 05:35:18 pm by Mitlov »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 05:32:07 pm »
Bit too much nose.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 05:36:09 pm »
Bit too much nose.

IS-F has the same issue.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 06:06:13 pm »
Reminds me of the Jaguar Top Gear tested a while ago.  They said at the end they'd finally found an angle the car looks good from: the side.  Once you go a degree or two back or front, it ruins the whole car.  Front and rear of that concept are awful, but it looks brilliant in side profile.

I'd say Lexus will be aiming at the R8, 911, and SL500 with this car.  ~$150 000 base, plus options, and it'll quickly hi $200k.

Cortina

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:45 am »
Bit too much nose.

IS-F has the same issue.

But it does have the family resemblance.  :)

vdk

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »
$225,000 for a Lexus Supercar?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126380?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

I think someone's smoking a lot of that at Lexus...
There's just no way Lexus has the prestige to compare with Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Porsche and the rest of the gang...

Please...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:33 pm »
Thats a lot of bucks but I think somebody might buy them. Not everybody needs/wants a badge. Acura use to sell a $140,000 car a few years ago....well not many but they were for sale.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:38:29 pm »
Thats a lot of bucks but I think somebody might buy them. Not everybody needs/wants a badge. Acura use to sell a $140,000 car a few years ago....well not many but they were for sale.

And that $140 000 Acura was a Honda everywhere else.  :)  I do think Lexus can compete in this price range, though.  It's a limited-production vehicle, and I doubt they'll have trouble moving them.  I still feel like it would have been wiser move to position this against the SL500 and base 911 than the SL AMG and 911 Turbo, but Lexus seems to be diving right in...

Offline Alex MacLean

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
Near a 1/4 million for that. It's a nice looking car, except the exhaust, but that's a crazy price.

So the 225k is US, meaning they'll slap a 300k sticker on it in Canada, and You can buy a base F-430 for 186 grand.

Hmmm Ferrari or Toyota? There's a hard choice. :rofl: