Author Topic: Classic Canadian Rock Songs  (Read 21007 times)

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Canadian Rock Songs
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 11:48:21 pm »
Aldo Nova - Fantasy

Neil Young - Piece Of Crap

Whoa, that's an awfully harsh assessment of Neil Young... :rofl:

Leviathan

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:55 am »
 :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 11:35:18 am »
 :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:54 am »
I can only come up with 6.

American Woman - Guess Who
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Rockin' In the Free World - Neil Young
Takin' Care of Business- Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Lunatic Fringe- Red Rider
Spirit of Radio - Rush

Leviathan

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 12:14:30 pm »
Saf, that reminds me:

Ian Thomas - Painted Ladies

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 12:22:42 pm »
How many of these "classics" would even be on the radar if not for the CRTC policy of forcing Canadian content down our throats? IMO, at least half of songs mentioned in this thread are only here because government mandated heavy rotation on radio and Much Music has burned them into our brains.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »
How many of these "classics" would even be on the radar if not for the CRTC policy of forcing Canadian content down our throats? IMO, at least half of songs mentioned in this thread are only here because government mandated heavy rotation on radio and Much Music has burned them into our brains.

I think that policy was good when it comes to radio play but bad when it came to TV shows...
I think that we heard some great bands that would have never made it against the the mighty American music industry machine.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 02:50:11 pm »
Sadly, they are.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53:59 pm »
Parachute Club - Rise Up

(j/k    :hurl:  ;D )

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 03:10:44 pm »
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance   ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 06:09:14 pm »
I think that policy was good when it comes to radio play but bad when it came to TV shows...
I think that we heard some great bands that would have never made it against the the mighty American music industry machine.
:iagree:

I'm adding Blue Rodeo's "Try" and "Lost Together" as my personal favourites.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 06:41:39 pm »
This one has held up well, classic 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzsBqk8u1w

Martha and the Muffins - Echo Beach

barrie1

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 08:56:31 pm »
Brian Volmer from Helix still lives about 4 blocks east of my house. He has a unique home and still is a decent guy to have in our area as well. The group Ocean was also a Canadian group which was from London as well. The original drummer for them is still one of my best friends to this day. London has had its fair share of famous Rock Bands over the years and the music scene is still alive and well still.  :) ;D

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:11 pm »

To turn that on its nose, how many great artists would not have had a chance to showcase their talents and grow musically if not given a chance by CanCon? It was much easier to be lost in the tide of the US back in the 70s and 80s, I would argue, when independent labels and such were a non-factor in the industry.

It took the Hip well over a decade to make any inroads into the US. Were they only popular here due to CanCon? How about the Barenaked Ladies?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 09:28:08 pm »
Not a fan of "Mimi On The Beach"?   :rofl: :rofl2:

As a teenage boy exposed to that video, I have been scarred for life. Beach videos were supposed to be good things, not that!

Stodge, I also liked Brighton Rock for a nice hair-metal fix. And speaking of Helix....

I and bet that you were one of those teenaged metal losers who wore pastel colours and deck shoes in the '80s and called people dressed in black wearing surplus combat boots (like me in those day) "fagg0t."
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 09:39:03 pm »

To turn that on its nose, how many great artists would not have had a chance to showcase their talents and grow musically if not given a chance by CanCon? It was much easier to be lost in the tide of the US back in the 70s and 80s, I would argue, when independent labels and such were a non-factor in the industry.

Well, I did say half were due to CanCon, not all.

Is there really any explanation for Helix or Harlequin to be considered classic other than millions of radio listeners were forced to hear them?

It took the Hip well over a decade to make any inroads into the US. Were they only popular here due to CanCon? How about the Barenaked Ladies?

Isn't it ironic that while the purported purpose of CanCon is to protect artists from the big bad American influence, the mark of a Canadian artist that has "made it" is success in the U.S.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:47:57 pm by Cord »

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 11:43:01 pm »
Not a fan of "Mimi On The Beach"?   :rofl: :rofl2:

As a teenage boy exposed to that video, I have been scarred for life. Beach videos were supposed to be good things, not that!

Stodge, I also liked Brighton Rock for a nice hair-metal fix. And speaking of Helix....

I and bet that you were one of those teenaged metal losers who wore pastel colours and deck shoes in the '80s and called people dressed in black wearing surplus combat boots (like me in those day) "fagg0t."

??? ??? ???

Can you run this one by me again? I am not sure what stereotype I am supposed to be, which one you are supposed to be, and why exactly you would assume any of this in the first place. The logic train was derailed somewhere.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:32 am »

:iagree:  Many of the greatest bands did not "make it" until their third or fourth album.  Queen's big breakthrough was A Night at the Opera, their fourth album, for example.  CanCon's policy may just have allowed some great artists to slip through who otherwise would have been lost in the sheer amount of music coming from the US.

Don't get me wrong - every time a Sam Roberts song comes on the radio I curse that bloody legislation.  But I also recognize that Sam Roberts appeals to many people, and on balance CamCon's policy is probably a benefit.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:12 am »
What do you have against Sam Roberts, Demosthenes X?   :o

Sam and his band, The Hip and Sarah Harmer are headlining a music festival in June in Belleville.  I'd go, but I've seen all three already.   :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2008, 10:02:52 am »
I just don't particularly like his music.  I've gotten past the point of cringing and changing radio stations when he comes on, but it's still not something I'd go out and buy.  *shrug*  Just not my taste, I guess.