Author Topic: Cobalt XFE.... best in class Highway Economy  (Read 17476 times)

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Cobalt XFE.... best in class Highway Economy
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:03:45 pm »
I can't find a link directly to it - but here is a link to the GM site that has the info posted:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f38/cobalt-fuel-milage-improvement-63093/

This is from GM Dealerworld:
Subject:2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Fuel Economy Improvement Announcement Effective March 17, 2008
Cobalt

The Chevrolet Cobalt Marketing Team is excited to announce a significant fuel economy improvement on the 2008 Cobalt. Effective March 17, 2008 , any LS or 1LT Cobalt Coupe or Sedan model ordered with manual transmissions will get 36 miles per gallon on the highway. This three mile per gallon improvement now gives Cobalt the best in class manual transmission highway fuel economy.

To make these Cobalt models stand out a new badge has been added to the right side of the trunk lid labeled "XFE" (Xtra Fuel Economy).

Quick Answers Regarding Cobalt XFE

How do I order a Cobalt that gets 36 miles per gallon on the highway?
-Effective immediately, any LS or 1LT model coupe or sedan ordered with a manual transmission will get 36 miles per gallon highway.

With 36 MPG what competitors does this Cobalt beat in highway fuel economy? Just a few are:
-2008 Honda Civic 34 MPG
-2008 Ford Focus 35 MPG
-2009 Toyota Corolla 35 MPG
-2008 Mini Cooper S 34 MPG
-2008 Mazda3 32 MPG
-2008 Dodge Caliber 29 MPG
-2008 Honda Fit 34 MPG
-2008 Toyota Matrix 33 MPG
-2008 Nissan Sentra 33 MPG
-2008 Nissan Versa 33 MPG

Is there a special badge?
-Yes, there is all new XFE badge located on the right side of the trunk deck lid.

Is the Cobalt window sticker revised to reflect 36 MPG?
-Yes, starting with production on March 17, 2008 and after, LS & 1LT models with manual transmission will have a widow sticker that reads 36 MPG.

What does XFE stand for?
-Xtra Fuel Economy.

How did this improvement in fuel economy happen?
-Engine calibration, improved tires and a few other special items we don't want the competitors to know about..

Does this improved fuel economy apply to both Coupe & Sedan LS and 1LT manual transmission models?
-Yes.
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt XFE.... best in class Highway Economy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »
I don't know if this is a US press release or now....But at the US site it shows the "regular" Cobalt getting 31MPG...so this would only be 34MPG.......(According to US EPA) 

And the Corolla gets 37MPG, by the way...(nice try GM)......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:26:11 pm »
I don't know if this is a US press release or now....But at the US site it shows the "regular" Cobalt getting 31MPG...so this would only be 34MPG.......(According to US EPA) 

According to the Toyota website its 27/35mpg (city/highway) for the 1.8L engine.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:28:36 pm »
According to US EPA it's 37......And those are the numbers that you get on the window sticker...

LBJGH

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »
The problem is that the car is a GM.

Depreciation alone will more than kill 1 or 2 mpg.  Look at the big picture.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:04:32 pm »

Depreciation alone will more than kill 1 or 2 mpg.  Look at the big picture.

At least it won't be fuel economy that killed the sale...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13:50 pm »
According to toyota.ca the corolla is 38-50 (!) MPG. So it all depends on how you count..
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:18:10 pm »
Is there a special badge?
-Yes, there is all new XFE badge located on the right side of the trunk deck lid.

What does XFE stand for?
-Xtra Fuel Economy.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Wow...

Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:10:31 pm »
How did this improvement in fuel economy happen?
-Engine calibration, improved tires and a few other special items we don't want the competitors to know about..

Low rolling resistance tires are not an improvement IMO.

Good for GM to increase the fuel mileage of the car but this hardly matters (aside from PR) unless they apply this to the automatic transmission Cobalts.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:14:10 pm »

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

Look at the Cobalt fuel economy for the 2.2 5speed manual.... 24/33 hmmm I think your confused and looked at the auto mpg

and now for Toyota:
http://www.toyotausa.com/corolla/specs.html

Oh geez Toyota got it WRONG because they say the 09 Corolla gets 27/35 on their 'official' website

Nice try Toyota!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:41:33 pm »
^^^^Give it up already.  All MPG figures on stickers are by the EPA or Ministry.  NOT what the manufacturer says.  And not only that...according to the US EPA, the Cobalt is a SUBCOMPACT and the Corolla a COMPACT.  So Chevy is trying to put one over by comparing Subcompact mileage to some cars on that list that are Compact.

So Chevy's "Best in Class" statement is dubious at best....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:49:03 pm by rrocket »

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 08:53:11 pm »
^^^^Give it up already.  All MPG figures on stickers are by the EPA or Ministry.  NOT what the manufacturer says.

OK so now your saying Toyota is WRONG as well? is this artic? So if what your saying is true, then answer this:
why would Toyota put a lower mpg on their Official website than they could?

P.S. I am not sure where your getting your info from as I could find nothing for the 2009 Corolla at www.epa.gov and there is no 2009 info at the http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ site that I could find

maybe it is wishful (and incorrect) thinking?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:58:05 pm »
^^^^In it's class of Subcompact, the Yaris, the Mini Clubman and the Civic (to name a few) all achieve same or better mileage than the Cobalt.  Definitely NOT class leader.

And yea...the EPA site has no listing for the 2009 Corolla.  Curious.  I'll stand corrected that the new Corolla is 35 MPG until I see the figures on the EPA site.  But it's a moot point anyways...others in the same class achieve same or better mileage than the Cobalt.

And again..just so you're clear..."official" MPG figures come from the testings of the EPA or Ministry, and not what the manufacturer says (for obvious reasons.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:03:32 pm by rrocket »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 09:00:23 pm »
Good for GM is all I say.  Except crappy tires is a shitty way to do it, I'm sure they aren't the only company that does it.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »
All MPG figures on stickers are by the EPA or Ministry.  NOT what the manufacturer says.

From the EPA site:
Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

So GM has increased the fuel economy of the Cobalt to what is arguably best in class. Why the derision? Why the scorn? And what's all this hand wringing about the tires? Does anybody seriously believe that the Fit, Versa, Yaris, Focus, etc. don't come with low rolling resistance tires?

(The name is dorky though)  :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:09 pm »
I didn't think it was possible to make the back of this car any uglier but another badge would do the trick.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 09:18:06 pm »
All MPG figures on stickers are by the EPA or Ministry.  NOT what the manufacturer says.

From the EPA site:
Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

So GM has increased the fuel economy of the Cobalt to what is arguably best in class. Why the derision? Why the scorn? And what's all this hand wringing about the tires? Does anybody seriously believe that the Fit, Versa, Yaris, Focus, etc. don't come with low rolling resistance tires?

(The name is dorky though)  :)

But it's NOT best in class.....:)

I will say that's I don't doubt the mileage the Cobalt gets though..and would not be the least bit surprised if a driver who is VERY easy on the pedal could even get better than EPA mileage....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:20:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
Our Fit may be only a mere 2007 but it gets more than 34 mpg in the freaking city with snow tires at -10 to -20... nearer 37 in fact

As the weather warms up we are back to 39-40mpg and now the regular tires are on I'll expect to be back to the 42-44mpg overall that we got last summer & fall.

Cord, I am sure that the Dunlops that come on the fit are low rolling resistance... they sure are low grip.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:21 pm »
^^^^I agree.  My Echo is very near to 50 US MPG. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:12 pm »
Canadian Toyota website provides 38-50 MPG for 09 'rolla referring to EnerGuide test results. GM.ca "estimates" 2008 cobalt manual to be within 31-48 MPG, I'm not even sure where they get the numbers from.