Author Topic: Low flush toilets are the S**ts  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Low flush toilets are the S**ts
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »
   This is like a public service announcement.

Bought a newly renovated house that has 3 new low flush toilets of 3 different designs and made by 2 different manufacturers. The technology involved seems to be limited to having a smaller tank (well duuuh). There does not seem to be any thought or effort made to ensure that the water flow or flush design can handle anything but the smallest call of nature.

Without getting graphic I have been know to plug a toilet or two on occasion but now in my house it is a daily event. Even flushing before any paper is used is often unsuccessful. It drive me nuts. It seems that I have no choice but to have plungers at the ready in each of the 3 bathrooms.

I am flushing 2 and 3 times for each visit. The ironic thing is that in the end I am using more water instead of less. How stupid is that???

I am all for conservation but they have to come up with alternatives that actually work.

I suspect the most logical way to design them is like I have seen in Europe. Many of those have an option of 2 different flushes. A low flush option for those less challenging events and a full flush for when there is serious stuff going on.

So be careful before you install these low flush devices. Based on my experiance they are crap.

I also had experiance in my last house with a low flow showerhead. I bought a very nice Moen set. I knew it was low flow and I thought it might help cut down on hat water use. Once again all the thing did was restrict the water flow. There was no special design to it that made it a satisfying shower at all. It was like showering in a house that had very poor water pressure. We were pissed off to spend $500 and have a worse shower. In the end I found out that there was a small rubber restrictor in the head. I took that out and all was good again. It was a great shower after that.

All this to say is that high efficiency has to come hand and had with some more enhancements in desgin to make these things work.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:42:38 pm by slybry »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

JBrill

Re: Low flush toilets are the S**ts
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:49:25 pm »
You don't mention the brand of the toilets in your home, I'm suspecting Crane and/or American Standard?

I have 3 Toto low volume toilets in the house and they work flawlessly.  It does seem the design deviates from the old US standard in that some water is routed to create a vacuum to aid suction for flushing.  :thumbup:

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »
I just put bricks in the tank. Works a treat and uses less water.  ;)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:05:21 pm »
There is a toilet design which uses a 'bucket' on a pivot that dumps water into the tank when a flush is required.  Apparently it uses less water and delivers a satisfying flush.  I can't seem to recall the make or model.  I think it was recently patented...?   ??? :think:

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
Why not just use the Australian toilets with two buttons. One for light flushes and the second for heavier flushes.

Friends from Australia imported one when they reno'd their house. Much better idea!

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:08:35 pm »
I have done a lot of renos in my home and replaced all three of my toilets with low flush models and they are not created equal.
The first two that I bough were not the cheapest but one of the cheapest model and they flush ok but really slow and one has a tendency to get blocked on occasion (only twice in 5 years but even that is too much).
The latest one that I purchased was the Cadet 3 by American Standard and let me tell you this think is one crazy toilet.
I got it at home depot and the sales guy was tooting this as the Cadillacs of toilets.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/productDetail.aspx?area=bath&cat=3&col=&prodID=1806

It has a enlarged flush valve that allows for a quick drainage and superior waist per second drainage. Apparently this is what you want in a toilet, the quick drainage causes a suction that will suck out any of your waist in seconds. There are several different versions of the same toilet the one I got has an Elongated boil and sits higher (I think 18") off the ground. It also comes with some silver something in the paint that is anti-microbial so that the toilet will stay cleaner for longer.
I've only had it for a few month now but it is my go to toilet for the big jobs. You know like post Christmas dinner, post easter dinner.
This sh1tter does really suck!! in a good way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:11:09 pm by Zombie »
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
Mahn! Toilet Talk Canada. TTC.  :P

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:25:08 pm »
We just installed a Kohler low flush which sure as hell works.  Kohler have three (!) different varieties of low consumption toilets. including one of those ones with the pressure bladder ( sorry!) in the tank to give the flush that extra ooomph.

I saw a daily planet piece on , IIRC, the Toto Drake, where they demonstrated flushing golf balls.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Leviathan

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:56:11 pm »

Shitter's full...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:55 pm »
..Yeah the TROUBLE starts when ya PUT a BRICK"IN"the shi*ter.....damn those FIBRE ADS................ :rofl2:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:39:13 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 03:22:39 pm »
We have these low flows in our new home.  They are "ok" but not great.  Sometimes they leave paper and they get clogged I'd say once every couple of weeks.  Annoying.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »
Hillarious topic  :rofl2:

I suspect the most logical way to design them is like I have seen in Europe. Many of those have an option of 2 different flushes. A low flush option for those less challenging events and a full flush for when there is serious stuff going on.

I also had experiance in my last house with a low flow showerhead. There was no special design to it that made it a satisfying shower at all. It was like showering in a house that had very poor water pressure. In the end I found out that there was a small rubber restrictor in the head. I took that out and all was good again. It was a great shower after that.

Didn't know about the Euro/Australian toilets. As per usual we appear a bit behind. North America has cheap (subsidized?) water.

I do believe in purchasing a low-flow toilet, but would want to sample the model first (can't believe I just typed that), even if just to see the design of where the water flows and how large and angled the hole is. Indeed, they are not created equal.

The shower is probably the most valuable time of my day. Wakes me up, I do a lot of thinking in it (don't let your mind go wandering now...) and it's one of life's simple pleasures. Nothing gets me going than taking one when visiting or at hotels with an ultra restrictive shower head. First thing I do when I've moved is remove the water restricter as you say... and voila, all is well with the world again  :D
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 03:40:16 pm »
 Yup I can't believe ya typed ya want to be #1 Onna #2 JOBBIE......... :rofl: CAN WE DUMP this thread????
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:55:47 pm by safristi »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
 ??? ::) as a PUNCH BOWL............... :P :rofl2:

joie_de_vivre

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 04:05:03 pm »
Energy saving devices don't perform well. I bought an A+ (do you also have such energy saving labels?) washing machine, which is supposed to be very energy efficient, but it just doesn't perform well, we had to wash the laundry twice a few times. We're considering of buying a regular A-class washer or even a B, which has become the most unpopular and thus much cheaper than the more economical ones, but remains the best performing.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »
Why not just use the Australian toilets with two buttons. One for light flushes and the second for heavier flushes.

Friends from Australia imported one when they reno'd their house. Much better idea!
They use this type in China as well.

Our new-ish house also has the low-flow type installed and I just keep the handle down as this increases the water flow till all is safely down the pipe then let go of the handle. Expect your LF will work the same as well.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:55 pm »
...does that work on RX8 cool downs............. :shuffle:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:34:31 pm »
I have 4 low flush toilets.   They are fine for a number 1.  That's where you save water.   I think most households do a lot more #1s than #2s.   A number 2 takes at least two flushes to get it all down.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 06:01:03 pm »
Zombie and JBrill are 100% correct.  I did TONS of research before I bought my toilet.  The Toto Drake is one of the best on the market.  The Gmax valve systems flushes like mad!!  The American Standard copied the GMax valve system for their new Cadet III.  I think the Cadet III is the best value on the market.  I think you can get a Cadet III for $200 from Home Depot...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 07:32:27 pm »
When we built our place, we put in Toto something or other (one of the basic models).  I wouldn't have anything else.  One family member issues LARGE solids (I have never seen anything this large), and they work flawlessly.

There are two important factors:
- Toto, and nothing but
- properly designed waste lines

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.