Author Topic: First Track Test: Nissan GT-R CRUSHES Z06 and Porsche 911 TT  (Read 30077 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: First Track Test: Nissan GT-R CRUSHES Z06 and Porsche 911 TT
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:50 pm »
So, basically the GT-R is "driven" by the CPU and the "driver" is along for the ride. Doesn't sound like much of a driver's car to me.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2008, 06:31:55 pm »
No, the GT-R is AWD which makes exiting corners much easier, all AWD cars are like this.  The GT-R does not drive itself it is a blast to drive!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008, 06:39:59 pm »
They accelerate earlier out of corners, they don't defy the laws of physics. Lots of CPU power going on in that corner to keep it on the straight and narrow.

Still slower lap time than an MV Augusta F4 (7:21.8 ). I daresay I know which one requires more skill.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008, 07:06:46 pm »

Still slower lap time than an MV Augusta F4 (7:21.8 ). I daresay I know which one requires more skill.

Obviously....But show me the MV's time in wet or damp conditions, please!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »
How do you know it wasn't in the wet? ;)

As I said, it takes a lot of skill to get those times out of an MV. No CPU nannies to save your bacon if you :censor: up.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2008, 07:28:33 pm »
How do you know it wasn't in the wet? ;)

As I said, it takes a lot of skill to get those times out of an MV. No CPU nannies to save your bacon if you :censor: up.

I know it.  Road raced bikes for quite a few years.... ;)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 07:40:10 pm »
I guess I still don't get this car. Huge speed, but so much emphasis on technology; at what point does the driver become passenger?

How does it translate to the road? I know litre bikes are boring to drive on the road, aside from tiny bursts of speed, so much potential remains just that. You can't really stretch their legs. And cops around here will pull you for 5 over just because.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 08:00:59 pm »
I guess I still don't get this car. Huge speed, but so much emphasis on technology; at what point does the driver become passenger?

::)  Lots of people have said that.  Ask someone who's driven one...  like, I dunno, the person just five posts above you...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »
"A rear mounted 6 speed dual clutch semi-automatic transmission is used in conjunction with the ATTESA E-TS system to provide power to all four wheels and along with Nissan's Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC-R) aids in handling and stability. Three shift modes can also be selected for various conditions. The drag coefficient is 0.27."

So shift & launch control, stability control, and traction control.  Yep, that's a mighty fine car, but what's left for the driver to control? 

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:24 pm »
Lets try it a different way. Chev provided more detail with their video - you can see the MPH of the run. Nissan did not so you have to look for other clues as to what is going on.

According to Caranddriver (the only place that I could find with the max speed in each gear) the GTR does 122mph in 4th, 152 in 5th and 191 in 6th.

Given how everyone says the GTR is so easy to drive there shouldn't be a reason for the driver to shift any which way but perfect.

Here are the shift points and their times:

gtr 6:41 4th-5th = 122mph          ZR1@6:41 = 140mph
gtr 6:48 5th-6th = 152mph          ZR1@6:48 = 163mph

1st bridge
GTR 6:46                                  ZR1 6:42
2nd bridge
GTR 7:09                                  ZR1 7:05

Mitlov - according to your calculations, the GTR carried 17 percent more speed than the ZR1 coming off of that last corner onto the straightaway? 20 mph worth? Lets see, the GTR took that corner in 4th gear. At redline the GTR will do 122 mph in 4th gear. That doesn't add up. Especially considering the shift from 4th to 5th by the GTR happens at 6:41! that driver must have been bouncing off of the redline for nearly 9 seconds down the straightaway! I would make guess that the GTR hardly carried any advantage by way of exit speed - certainly not enough to change what should have happened on the straightaway.

The ZR1 never dipped below 95 mph in that corner. Nor does it seem to have trouble getting traction, either, accelerating onto the straightaway.

Between the first and second bridge there is 23 seconds of acceleration by both cars. The Zr1 passes the first bridge at 144mph. The GTR passes it at 6:46 or approx 2 seconds before the shift to 6th which occurs at 152mph! In other words the 638 hp car accelerates above 140mph pretty much identically to the 480 hp car.

How does that add up at all?
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2008, 09:57:30 pm »
I turned all those systems off when I drove the GT-R it was faster without the stuff on in a slalom no doubt, I don't think a pro driver would leave that on.  Corvettes have a lot of that stuff too, competition mode traction control  and stability control etc.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »
Lets try it a different way. Chev provided more detail with their video - you can see the MPH of the run. Nissan did not so you have to look for other clues as to what is going on.

According to Caranddriver (the only place that I could find with the max speed in each gear) the GTR does 122mph in 4th, 152 in 5th and 191 in 6th.

Given how everyone says the GTR is so easy to drive there shouldn't be a reason for the driver to shift any which way but perfect.

1st bridge
2nd bridge

Mitlov - according to your calculations, the GTR carried 17 percent more speed than the ZR1 coming off of that last corner onto the straightaway? 20 mph worth? Lets see, the GTR took that corner in 4th gear. At redline the GTR will do 122 mph in 4th gear. That doesn't add up. Especially considering the shift from 4th to 5th by the GTR happens at 6:41! that driver must have been bouncing off of the redline for nearly 9 seconds down the straightaway! I would make guess that the GTR hardly carried any advantage by way of exit speed - certainly not enough to change what should have happened on the straightaway.

The ZR1 never dipped below 95 mph in that corner. Nor does it seem to have trouble getting traction, either, accelerating onto the straightaway.

Between the first and second bridge there is 23 seconds of acceleration by both cars. The Zr1 passes the first bridge at 144mph. The GTR passes it at 6:46 or approx 2 seconds before the shift to 6th which occurs at 152mph! In other words the 638 hp car accelerates above 140mph pretty much identically to the 480 hp car.

There was a chart in one of the magazines that kinda got into what you're saying.  They ended up saying the GT-R can accelerate as fast as more powerful cars because of the gearing of the tranny and the final drive...(don't ask me what the numbers are, but I remember reading the side-bar).

And if you think the ZR-1 doesn't have a hard time laying the power down....go read every magazine test of a Z06 by a pro driver, then every test of the ZR-1 by a pro driver.  They all say the same thing...judicious throttle is a must because they are tail happy...

As far as HP goes....the ZR-1 doesn't have as big of an advantage as you might expect. The ZR-1 pulls I've read about were roughly 535 RWHP.  The GT-R was laying down 470-480 RWHP.  So 50-60 RWHP.  A good amount for sure....but I think that difference is made up by the tremendous AWD system and to a lesser extent, the gearing.

Being a GM Slappy, are you losing sleep over this....or????  The ZR-1 isn't even competing with the GT-R.  The Spec V is the car you should be worrying about....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:20:35 am by rrocket »

Mitlov

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2008, 01:07:49 am »

1st bridge
2nd bridge

Can you provide either a link for the Car & Driver article that those maximum-speed-per-gear figures are from, or at least tell me what month the article was from?  I've looked around on C&D's page and I can't find that chart.

My concern is that your ENTIRE analysis is based upon using those shift points as proxies for speed, and if the test was a preproduction GT-R (and three out of the five C&D GT-R tests involved preproduction cars with varying levels of performance), then then those maximum-speeds-per-gear aren't accurate for production GT-Rs.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2008, 08:57:28 am »
^ Not to mention that, given the varying power levels different GT-Rs have been putting out in testing, I'd be very, very surprised if they all had identical shift points...

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:57 am »
Here are two views of the Didge Viper ACR record run:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/05/video-dodge-viper-acrs-record-ring-lap-two-views/

Time that car from bridge 1 to bridge 2

right at 23 seconds AGAIN

so now there are three cars, all with factory provided videos, that accelerate down a high speed straightaway for 23 seconds and cover the same distance.

Which one of these vehicles seems out of place?
         hp   torque   weight
ZR1   638   604       3350
ACR   600   560       3460
GTR   480   430       3836

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2008, 10:22:55 am »
Rrocket - Yes, I am a 'GM Slappy', but first and foremost I am a 'car slappy' - always have been and always will be. The GTR is an awesome car no doubt about that - but the record run video shows it doing something well beyond what you could expect from that vehicle - keeping up past 140mph with two 600 plus horsepower vehicles for 23 seconds! Lets take the corner out of the equation to make it even more obvious - as there shouldn't be much wheel spin past 140 mph, right? So how again does that tremendous awd system help it at 140 mph going straight ahead?

You own a very fast car - does it make sense to you?

Mitlov - http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/nissan/gt_r/2009_nissan_gt_r/2009_nissan_gt_r_road_test+type-reviews_by_make+mode-collection+id-238.html go there and then click on Spec Sheet. To the best of my knowledge the gearing that is shown on this spec sheet is inline with what the GTR currently has. My CONCERN is that your earlier explination was a 20 mph 'jump' for the GTR to explain away its acceleration down the straightaway based on nothing at all. Nissan only gave us the shifts to indicate speeds and that seems to be pretty accurate as an indicator. Just look at bridge 1 in the GTR and the Zr1:

1st bridge
GTR 6:46                                  ZR1 6:42

The GTR does the 5th - 6th shift 2 seconds later at 6:48 at 152 mph. So given how fast 'this' GTR accelerates 2 seconds would be approx 8.5mph (based on the GTR gaining 30mph in 7 seconds which occured between the 4th-5th shift and the 5th to 6th shifts) so it was going about 143.5 mph

The ZR1 at 6:42 is going 144 mph.

And then 23 seconds later both of the cars at the same place. Same with the Dodge Viper ACR.

Mitlov

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:36 am »
Rrocket - Yes, I am a 'GM Slappy', but first and foremost I am a 'car slappy' - always have been and always will be. The GTR is an awesome car no doubt about that - but the record run video shows it doing something well beyond what you could expect from that vehicle - keeping up past 140mph with two 600 plus horsepower vehicles for 23 seconds! Lets take the corner out of the equation to make it even more obvious - as there shouldn't be much wheel spin past 140 mph, right? So how again does that tremendous awd system help it at 140 mph going straight ahead?

You own a very fast car - does it make sense to you?

Mitlov - http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/nissan/gt_r/2009_nissan_gt_r/2009_nissan_gt_r_road_test+type-reviews_by_make+mode-collection+id-238.html go there and then click on Spec Sheet. To the best of my knowledge the gearing that is shown on this spec sheet is inline with what the GTR currently has. My CONCERN is that your earlier explination was a 20 mph 'jump' for the GTR to explain away its acceleration down the straightaway based on nothing at all. Nissan only gave us the shifts to indicate speeds and that seems to be pretty accurate as an indicator. Just look at bridge 1 in the GTR and the Zr1:

1st bridge
GTR 6:46                                  ZR1 6:42

The GTR does the 5th - 6th shift 2 seconds later at 6:48 at 152 mph. So given how fast 'this' GTR accelerates 2 seconds would be approx 8.5mph (based on the GTR gaining 30mph in 7 seconds which occured between the 4th-5th shift and the 5th to 6th shifts) so it was going about 143.5 mph

The ZR1 at 6:42 is going 144 mph.

And then 23 seconds later both of the cars at the same place. Same with the Dodge Viper ACR.

Okay, gotcha.  You were looking at the May 2008 preproduction car.  A chart with the performance numbers for the five GT-Rs that C&D tested is available on the right side of this page:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/c_d_staff/larry_webster/what_is_the_gt_r_s_real_horsepower_column  (click on "performance test comparison")

Here's my problem.  The May preproduction car had the same horsepower as the production car, but it wasn't identical in every way.  Most notably, whereas the 0-60 and 0-100 times were almost identical to the production car, the 0-130 time was remarkably shorter (12.1 seconds for the preproduction GT-R versus 13.7 and 14.0 for the two production cars).  Similar acceleration for 0-60 and 0-100, but significantly better acceleration for 0-130, screams to me that the May preproduction GT-R had shorter gearing in the highest few gears.

So the top-speeds-per-gear for the top few gears from the May preproduction GT-R are almost certainly lower than they are for the production GT-R.  Your analysis that the GT-R must have been a ringer because it was going too fast in each gear, while certainly a good argument, is based off of the wrong set of statistics.

So, let's re-cap:

(1)  You first argued that the Nurburgring GT-R had to have been a ringer because it was accelerating just as fast as the more-powerful-and-lighter ZR-1 on a straightaway.  I showed that the GT-R entered the straightaway going faster, by noting that it traveled the distance from the last inside shoulder strip to the first bridge in six seconds to the Vette's seven.  Thus, the GT-R was accelerating more slowly if the two cars covered the distance between the two bridges in the same time. 

(2)  You then advanced a new argument, saying that the Nurburgring GT-R couldn't be a production GT-R because it was going too fast in 4th and 5th gears to be a production GT-R.  Problem is, you used performance numbers from a preproduction GT-R with lower gearing in the higher gears than the production GT-R has.

Do you have any other arguments that the Nurburgring GT-R was a ringer?  Because I don't think there's ANY evidence that it was.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:30:58 am by Mitlov »

Mitlov

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
Now THAT (the corner exit speed) is some serious brain power at work -- and most likely dead on heck and Mitlov isn't even a track whore.

In all fairness, I am a Gran Turismo 4 whore, and while I suck at the actual execution, I've picked up a lot of racing theory from that.  I know what I'm supposed to be doing in order to get good lap times, I just can't do it very well when push comes to shove...which (along with time and money issues) is why I don't risk my real car at track days ;)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2008, 11:42:37 am »
^ Not to mention that, given the varying power levels different GT-Rs have been putting out in testing, I'd be very, very surprised if they all had identical shift points...

I am surprised nobody else has brought this up, since it was mentioned in Top Gear or Fifth Gear (can't remember which) that the gear ratios are matched to the individual engine due to the varying power output of each unit.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Mitlov

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2008, 11:49:26 am »

I am surprised nobody else has brought this up, since it was mentioned in Top Gear or Fifth Gear (can't remember which) that the gear ratios are matched to the individual engine due to the varying power output of each unit.

True, but the May preproduction GT-R that Drederick is looking to was WAY off the production ones in terms of gearing, not just a little off due to small differences in the hand-built engines and uniquely-matched gearboxes.