Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P  (Read 14763 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:00:41 pm »
Day 1:

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Click Image to Enlarge
Spring has finally arrived in the capital and with it a sporty coupe for me to test for a week.  This week, I will be behind the wheel of the Mitsubishi Eclipse Coupe GT-P.  This is the top-of-the-line version of a vehicle that starts at a rather reasonable $25,998. My tester adds nearly $10,000 to that starting price as it comes standard with a ton of goodies.  More ...

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-P
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:19:52 pm »
The Eclipse is starting to really fly under the radar again. Do think it looks very sharp still. The price drop last year was significant, so kudos to them.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
I would think that when the Lancer Reliant comes out the Eclipse might be a tougher sell. I know there not really in the same segment but I would think there would be some definite cross shopping going on.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Cortina

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:04:48 pm »
The Eclipse is starting to really fly under the radar again. Do think it looks very sharp still. The price drop last year was significant, so kudos to them.

Judging by the amout of post at this time. I would say nobody is really that Interested either.

This car makes no sense buying new. This is a great used buy if you can find one that is. I'm sure they take a big hit when driving off the lot.  :)

Mitsubishi make very reliable motors. It is the lack of deal networks and brand recognition that is hurting them I surspect. I don't even see that many people driving any Mitsubishi nor do I know anyone who owns one or even posting on here about buying any Mitsubishi cars.  :-\

changsta

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:25:02 pm »
my sister bought a 2008 mitsubishi eclipse gs 5-speed (the 4-cylinder) in december, and while it is very new still (about 6000km), it must be said that not a single thing has gone wrong with it. it has a surprisingly forgiving ride for a car with sporting pretensions, and has good steering feel. because the car is so wide and low, it handles very well too.

i test drove the v6 and found it to be way over powered. i think that the 4-cylinder is a much more balanced car.

anyway, the car is a pretty good deal if you look at it as a real sports car as opposed to an accord or altima competitor or a top end civic/tiburon competitor.

i think it looks great, and the fact that there arent too many on the road makes it more special.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »
I've often considered the Eclipse to be the new Grand Prix. Now it even has the same name.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

cricri1234

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »
I'll take a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi over this any time.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:47:50 am »

Judging by the amout of post at this time. I would say nobody is really that Interested either.

This car makes no sense buying new. This is a great used buy if you can find one that is. I'm sure they take a big hit when driving off the lot.  :)

Mitsubishi make very reliable motors. It is the lack of deal networks and brand recognition that is hurting them I surspect. I don't even see that many people driving any Mitsubishi nor do I know anyone who owns one or even posting on here about buying any Mitsubishi cars.  :-\

I have a 07 Mitsubishi Outlander. A little over a year into the ownership and almost 20K, I'm happy with it. I had no problems with it either and as far as I’m concerned, it’s been as reliable as a car can be. I'm an active member on few Outlander forums and I know that I'm not an exception.
I have two other co-workers owning 07-08 Outlanders and one owning an Eclipse. They started to be visible in Toronto area at least, but of course they cannot compete with the CRV and RAV4 which are everywhere, but I wouldn't really like that.
Toronto area has a decent number of dealers as well (about 6-7 dealers).
I’ve been watching the sales figures for Mitsubishi over the past year and the Outlander and the Lancer are selling in decent numbers (better than Subaru in general), especially for a brand with little equity in Canada and only two redesigned models.
The Eclipse is a model from the past, along with the Galant and Endeavor, but the replacements are coming up in few years and maybe even more models (e.g. Colt).

Here it is what appears to be the Eclipse successor: 2.2L diesel 200 hp/300 lb-ft, AWD, Twin Clutch SST transmission.

http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/2008-ra_concept
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:43:56 am by wing »

dorin

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:27:02 pm »
This gen Eclipse it too large and too soft so it does nothing for me and I used to daydream about the 1st and 2nd gens.  Cord is right, the current Eclipse is not unlike the Grand Prix for the poser factor.

robarakira

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
Looking at this car, I can't help but think understeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Offline gpws2k

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2011 Mazda3 GT
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:07:52 am »
A production version of the RA's drivetrain would be similar to the upcoming Lancer Ralliart's, but then the Eclipse would have to be downsized to become a pseudo-Lancer coupe in order to feature this level of technology and stay in its current price bracket while avoiding the 40k range the Evo is in. Mind you, I have a hard time believing that the next generation Eclipse will be anywhere as sophisticated as the RA Concept, especially considering how watered down the current generation is when compared to the Concept E it was based on.  All skepticism aside, I definitely agree with Cord and Dorin and I'm hoping that Mitsubishi will make the right decision and return some of the Eclipse's original spirit in the next redesign.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:13:25 am by gpws2k »
You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:24 am »
:iagree:  The old Eagle Talons are wicked fast and, with AWD, a great performance bargain (though from what I've read, expensive to keep running).  The new Eclipse is a major letdown - stunning looks, but FWD and none of the brilliance of old.

Take the Ralliart powertrain and cram it into something with that body, though...  :drool:

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:06:51 pm »
I loved my Lancer Sportback - the 2.4 motor pulled really well.  Just got back from a business trip in a 4 cyl Eclipse and it looked great but felt h-e-a-v-y and the four seems exceptionally loud.
Fortune favours the bold!

SlipstreamTuning

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »
The new eclipse is a great looking ride. Thats all it has going for it though. It wont sell for the same reason the gen before it would'nt. Lack of a turbo, and now days thats not a big deal, theres after market turbo kits everywhere, and the main factor, the absense of an AWD model. The 95-99 generation still get street cred to this day bkuz of the AWD GSX. its the only thing that made it stand out for a car in its class at the time. Theres no use for more power if you're not able to handle it, and a torque steering FWD jalopie is what youre gonna get when make this buy. Sorry Mitsubishi, tell me when they release an AWD or ralliart model 4 sale.