Author Topic: Terrible Tragedy in the Neighborhood  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Terrible Tragedy in the Neighborhood
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:30:24 pm »
As many of the regulars are aware, I live in Merritt.  There has been a terrible and senseless family tragedy just a few houses away.  I am sure it will be on the news as it is not often this kind of thing happens to the extent it has here.  Beats me why people do this   :'( :'( :'(
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Terrible Tragedy in the Neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:14:22 pm »
 ??? :think:

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:03 pm »
That story is from March 26. From Trainman's post it sounds as if whatever he is talking about just happened. I searched Google News Canada,CTV and the CBC site for "merritt" and got nothing. ??? :think:
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:20:32 pm »
http://www.cfjctv.com/news_details.php?n_id=14

TV7 News Headlines
Triple Murder in Merritt  April 6th, 2008
A TRAGIC SCENE IN MERRITT OVER THE WEEKEND -- THERE ARE REPORTS OF A 'TRIPLE' MURDER. THERE ARE FEW DETAILS AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME -- BUT IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THREE CHILDREN WERE FOUND DEAD IN A HOME ON THE 29-HUNDRED BLOCK OF TELEMON PLACE. THE BODIES WERE DISCOVERED JUST AFTER 2 O'CLOCK SUNDAY AFTERNOON. REPORTS SUGGEST THE CHILDREN ARE AGED 5, 8 AND 10. MERRITT RCMP ARE ON A MANHUNT FOR THE FATHER -- AND BELIEVE HE MAY PLAY A PART IN THE INCIDENT. THE ENTIRE 29-HUNDRED BLOCK OF TELEMON PLACE HAS BEEN CORDONED OFF.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »
That story is from March 26. From Trainman's post it sounds as if whatever he is talking about just happened. I searched Google News Canada,CTV and the CBC site for "merritt" and got nothing. ??? :think:

The story hinted at something more than what first reported.  I had thought maybe they had proved foul play or at least gross negligence.

Nothing compared to the ghastly scene as described in Trainman's next post, though. :o

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:59 pm »
A little more info, from CBC:

3 slain siblings found in home in Merritt, B.C.
Hours after cordoning off neighbourhood, RCMP says they're not searching for a suspect
Last Updated: Monday, April 7, 2008 | 12:10 AM ET
The Canadian Press

Three siblings under the age of 10 have been found slain in a home in Merritt, B.C., RCMP confirmed late Sunday, hours after they cordoned off a neighbourhood and warned people to stay in their homes.

"Three children, they're three siblings," Const. Tracy Dunsmore told reporters late Sunday in Merritt, located 270 kilometres northeast of Vancouver.

Dunsmore said that nobody had been taken into custody in relation to the deaths, nor were police searching for any suspect.

Police said in a news release that the slayings were not a random act.

"We don't feel there's a threat to the community," Dunsmore told reporters.

Neighbours said police descended earlier in the day on the area around a mobile home. Some neighbours said a woman and three children lived in the home, while others said a couple lived there with their children.

"Him and his wife have been fighting in the past here," one neighbour told the Kamloops radio station CHNL.

"I understand … they were having some sort of dispute. She went downtown to get some groceries and came home."

RCMP had the neighbourhood cordoned off for most of the day, combing the home and going door to door to interview neighbours, asking whether they had heard or seen anything on Saturday night.

Police warned neighbours to stay inside

Initially, police warned people to stay inside their homes, according to people who live near the mobile home.

"There's lots of police cars and the road is blocked off. We've just heard that some kids were killed over there," neighbour Noreen McPhail said shortly after police arrived at the scene.

McPhail was ushered back into her house by police when she tried to leave.

"I went to go downtown and I was told to back off," she said, adding that a police officer "just put her hand up and said to back off so I just had to come in my driveway."

RCMP cruisers were parked outside the mobile home all day.

"The tape is right across the whole road," McPhail said. "I'm basically in here, I can't get out at all."

Neighbours said police gave them no details of what had happened inside the home.

"The police have been here all day and interviewed me," said a neighbour who didn't want to give his name. "They've got it all taped off."

Family had moved in recently: neighbour

People who lived in the area said it is a quiet street where most neighbours know one another. The family in the home had recently moved up from the Lower Mainland, said one neighbour.

"They been in there for a few months and I really didn't know them at all. There were three children and a woman," said the neighbour.

The Canadian Press

We will see what the morning brings.  The kids are pretty freaked out about this although we did not know the family.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:21:56 am by Trainman »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:22:52 am »
the news is really tragic.  I hope the perpetrators will get caught sooner than later.

I have no problem with occasional bum smacking as discipline, but killing/leaving kids to die is quite a bit outta line.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:58:35 am »
The scene of the tragedy: the trailer behind the yellow police tape, and some of the media:

robarakira

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:28:53 am »
heard about this on the news... tragic

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 06:17:40 am »
But they are not looking for a suspect. That implies it has to be the mother or that they died accidently. If the latter maybe carbon monoxide?

Regardless it's still tragic.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 06:22:55 am »
very sad :'(

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:01:46 am »
Terrible...  :'(

Here in Brazil we had a case recently of a ~6 years old girl that was trhown thru the window of the 6th floor. Police arrested the father and step mother to investigate deeply. It seems the girl was already dead before falling from the window.

Intrigues me how a father/mother can do that to its own children.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:06:08 am by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:54 am »
I saw this on the news last night and automatically wondered hoe close you lived to it.

Jesus, three dead kids and no search for a suspect? You'd think if one of the parents was involved they'd say they had someone in custody.

Actually, looking at the latest reports it sounds like the father did it and then killed himself. Someone with a police scanner heard that.

Sick. It takes a sick mind to kill children because of the problems in your life. And to stab them to death... :hurl:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:37 am »
..."there are more things in Heaven & Earth than Man has dreamt of"................. :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »
Not looking for a suspect sounds like a murder-suicide.  :(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
It beats me why some parents will do this to spite the other, why oh why can't they just go off and kill themselves quietly...  >:( >:( >:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7204402.stm

The holiday was a "make or break" effort to resolve differences in the couple's marriage.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

barrie1

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 02:05:09 am »
I like everyone else here is shocked to hear such terrible things that have happened. I do feel sorry for your community as well as its not known to be a bad place at all. Unfortuantely these type of horrific crimes can happen in any area or of any town or city in the world. Hurts more when its close to your own home as we all like to think we live in a really good area. My condolences to your town and all the folks affectd by it as it does have to hurt especially with small children involved.  :(

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 05:23:19 am »
Very sad indeed.   :'(

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 09:35:47 am »
 >:(

Now the news is saying that he didn't kill himself and is on the run!

How could the RCMP say there was no threat to the community? The guy was just arrested for threatening kids at the school for bullying his children!

He also had a previous history of violence and mental health issues.

No threat to the community indeed.  ::)

I hope they gut shot him when they find him.