Author Topic: Motor Oil & Washing Machines  (Read 9200 times)

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +6/-1
  • It's a good day when you laugh!
    • View Profile
Motor Oil & Washing Machines
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:04:41 pm »
Help!!

Son works on cars in coveralls.......now all the "clean" wash smells oily.

An appliances salesperson said the fluids had probably gone between the two washer drums.

How do you do-it-yourselfers keep your coveralls, AND the washer clean? We clean the drum out each time as you can see the oil rim on the drum, but it's obviously not enough. Lingerie eau-de-oil yecch!!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Suess

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Motor Oil & Washing Machines
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:06:20 pm »
Take the coveralls to the laundry mat

Maybe try vinegar in the machine  ???

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:27:20 pm »
I hand wash my oily cloths in a plastic tub. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
I have friend who've bought some POS washer JUST for coveralls, rags and work clothes...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:19 pm »
I have friend who've bought some POS washer JUST for coveralls, rags and work clothes...

Hi, what the heck is POS?

Spock -- if only.........maybe you should live at my house! ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:26:04 pm »
POS= Piece of $hit....

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:45:29 pm »
Aaaah, I should have known that having a 21 year old son! Arrgh  :banghead: :bang: :banghead:  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
Aaaah, I should have known that having a 21 year old son! Arrgh  :banghead: :bang: :banghead:  ;D

21 year old at home, Your do his laundry :o ::)
 If he is not in school time to get his ass out the door ;D

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:57:59 am »

21 year old at home, Your do his laundry :o ::)
 If he is not in school time to get his ass out the door ;D

No, he does his own laundry, but it doesn't matter who does it for this thread! He washes his stuff, then I do mine and mine smell like a garage..............he'd love to get his ass out, but needs enough income to do that.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:19 pm »
The correct way to clean out oil and gas stains and smell out of clothing is by taking to the dry cleaner. Yes this gets expensive over time but unless you can do what the other people here are suggesting (wash by hand, use another washer or take it to the laundromat) a little of that oily smell will always stick around in your washer.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:29:34 pm »
trouble is ya get TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS when ya TAKE IT TO THE CLEANERS.......$20 or so each week fer yer Coveralls...if'n yer a mechanic like Arctic ;) no problemo wif tha BIG SALARY...but a kid @ a Quickie Lube..is gonna get
 hosed................ :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »
The trick is to use warm water, plenty of soaps, and have your son leave the oily cloth in the washer(with soapy warm water) for few hours before starting the machine.

Next couple of washes will get some oil smell, but it will go away. Don't wash your cloths right after oily/mechanicy clothes are washed. 

...or maybe I just don't notice the oily smell.  ..  I like how engine oil smells.  ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:37:27 pm »
I take my gunky stuff to the local laundromat. I use a brew of Tide and Simple Green.

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »
Thanks folks -- son only has one pair of coveralls, and a few "working" t-shirts, and as Saffy said not nearly enough $$ spare for the laundromat.

I bought some Oxyclean this morning, that you add to the wash water, and I've told him to wash the coveralls in hot water, then do a cleaning cycle again with the oxyclean. See if that'll get the grease off the tub.

...or maybe I just don't notice the oily smell.  ..  I like how engine oil smells. 

I guess you'd think me pretty fragrant right now then. ;D

This oily stuff, interesting in a way, because clothes that are part cotton, part poly, seem relatively fine, it's the 100% cotton things that lap it up.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 05:18:46 pm »
Thanks folks -- son only has one pair of coveralls, and a few "working" t-shirts, and as Saffy said not nearly enough $$ spare for the laundromat.

I bought some Oxyclean this morning, that you add to the wash water, and I've told him to wash the coveralls in hot water, then do a cleaning cycle again with the oxyclean. See if that'll get the grease off the tub.

...or maybe I just don't notice the oily smell.  ..  I like how engine oil smells. 

This oily stuff, interesting in a way, because clothes that are part cotton, part poly, seem relatively fine, it's the 100% cotton things that lap it up.

Not drycleaning. Laundromat. Shouldn't cost more than $2-3 dollars for a bunch of oily clothes. Air dry.

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »

Not drycleaning. Laundromat. Shouldn't cost more than $2-3 dollars for a bunch of oily clothes. Air dry.

Eventually we will do that, once he gets going in this p/t job. I know a few dollars isn't much, but on 9.00 an hour, it's tough at the mo. When he can have 3 pairs of coveralls, there's not a problem, once a week at the laundromat, but he's only got one pair right now. I air dry every thing I can--heck, I'm from UK where clothes lines are considered mandatory!

The Oxyclean & detergent are grinding away in an empty washer on hot, full cycle. So.......we'll see. (and smell). Thanks folks.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:51 am »

Eventually we will do that, once he gets going in this p/t job. I know a few dollars isn't much, but on 9.00 an hour, it's tough at the mo. When he can have 3 pairs of coveralls, there's not a problem, once a week at the laundromat, but he's only got one pair right now. I air dry every thing I can--heck, I'm from UK where clothes lines are considered mandatory!

The Oxyclean & detergent are grinding away in an empty washer on hot, full cycle. So.......we'll see. (and smell). Thanks folks.

$9/hr? Time for your son to pack a bag and head to Alberta to work the rigs. ;)