Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Pontiac G5 coupe  (Read 8389 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Pontiac G5 coupe
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:25 pm »

Test Drive:
2008 Pontiac G5 coupe

2008 Pontiac G5 coupeAttractive styling, proven reliability, and a low starting price are the compact Pontiac G5 coupe's high points, says contributor Norm Mort.  However, options can increase the price substantially, and the rear seat is cramped, he says.

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: CD Article: 2008 Pontiac G5 coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »
The MSRP pricing does look wonky, but no one ever pays MSRP - and the finance, lease and cash deals are generally pretty aggressive on this and the Cav.

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12:14 pm »
The MSRP pricing does look wonky, but no one ever pays MSRP - and the finance, lease and cash deals are generally pretty aggressive on this and the Cav.

You mean the Cob.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:43:51 pm »
I've driven both the base G5 and the line-topping GT, back when they were still called the Pursuit.

The base model is uninspiring, cheap, and not very good value at MSRP.  But I came away very impressed with the GT, and would recommend it highly.  That car was so-close-it-makes-no-difference as much fun to drive as the more-powerful and more-expensive Civic Si.  And had a better stereo,  :D

I am curious if GM is planning on putting their turbo mill from the Cobalt SS into a G5 GXP.  It always irked me that Chev gets a fast, fun car in the Cobalt SS/SC (now SS/TC, I suppose), but Pontiac doesn't get that engine.  I find the Pontiac far more enticing inside and out than the Cobalt...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:10:36 pm »
I've driven both the base G5 and the line-topping GT, back when they were still called the Pursuit.

The base model is uninspiring, cheap, and not very good value at MSRP.  But I came away very impressed with the GT, and would recommend it highly.  That car was so-close-it-makes-no-difference as much fun to drive as the more-powerful and more-expensive Civic Si.  And had a better stereo,  :D

I am curious if GM is planning on putting their turbo mill from the Cobalt SS into a G5 GXP.  It always irked me that Chev gets a fast, fun car in the Cobalt SS/SC (now SS/TC, I suppose), but Pontiac doesn't get that engine.  I find the Pontiac far more enticing inside and out than the Cobalt...

Didn't the GT come with the larger 2.4 engine?That probably accounted for the driving enjoyment  with the GT package.The supercharged Cobalt was a 2 liter.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:29:16 pm »
Yes, the G5 GT and Cobalt SS (non-Supercharged version) come with a larger 2.4L engine producing 173hp.  The GT also gets more sport-tuned suspension, bigger wheels with better tires, etc.  It's night and day in driving experience between the base model and GT.

Michel Ouellette

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:27:00 am »
This article is unfortunately base on the US Spec G5.  Wrong statement in this article are: Side Air bags are not standard in Canada, Disk brakes are only on the GT and millage is also different that the rating on the one I just bought. and I do better   

A/C cannot be had with the Automatic on the base. you can get one or the other but for both you need to move up to the SE. so the $20000 is not accurate as the base model cannot be configured as stated. you need to price out the SE for that.

Center console storage is availlable with te optional arm rest.  rear seating is as expected for a coupe.  If you need rear passenger space get the sedan (Not available in the US, but this is calle "Canadian" Driver))

Floor mats are standard in Canada.  Plus standard is the trip computer (How much on the competition?) standard tire pressure monitor, Oil life system (read much cheaper maintenance) Toyota designed electric steering. Better warranty that the imports should say something.

Engine is on par or better than the base engine in the honda, nissan and hyundai.  XM radio available

Cons are: Limited storage, spoiler obstruct rear vision , No CVT available.

Pro beats even Hyundai by $2000 when ordered with both Auto and Air. Equivalent sentra was over $23000 before Delivery, A/C tax and other fees. great warranty and excellent Engine.  Oil life monitor is the best thing ever put on a car. 0% financing

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:36:10 am »
Oil life monitor is the best thing ever put on a car.

I thought the best thing ever was putting wheels on the car. Really changed vehicle from a small living room, into a people mover, but that's just me...  :rofl:

-----------------------------

Good points! I think we've seen many manufacturers offer base de-contented models up in Canada. I'm thinking of VW. As long as we know about it it isn't an issue, and for some it's a 'feature'.

captain_ron

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 02:27:52 pm »
This article is unfortunately base on the US Spec G5.  Wrong statement in this article are: Side Air bags are not standard in Canada, Disk brakes are only on the GT and millage is also different that the rating on the one I just bought. and I do better   

A/C cannot be had with the Automatic on the base. you can get one or the other but for both you need to move up to the SE. so the $20000 is not accurate as the base model cannot be configured as stated. you need to price out the SE for that.

Center console storage is availlable with te optional arm rest.  rear seating is as expected for a coupe.  If you need rear passenger space get the sedan (Not available in the US, but this is calle "Canadian" Driver))

Floor mats are standard in Canada.  Plus standard is the trip computer (How much on the competition?) standard tire pressure monitor, Oil life system (read much cheaper maintenance) Toyota designed electric steering. Better warranty that the imports should say something.

Engine is on par or better than the base engine in the honda, nissan and hyundai.  XM radio available

Cons are: Limited storage, spoiler obstruct rear vision , No CVT available.

Pro beats even Hyundai by $2000 when ordered with both Auto and Air. Equivalent sentra was over $23000 before Delivery, A/C tax and other fees. great warranty and excellent Engine.  Oil life monitor is the best thing ever put on a car. 0% financing

Has a better engine than Honda? Yea....right......

Personally, I have not idea why anyone on earth would buy a Cobalt.  You can get a Civic for the same price and .9% or 1.9% leasing.  Honda had a promotion last month, you could lease a Civic Sedan DX with 0 down, 0 on delivery, for $199/month, $228 taxes in.  You can't even lease a Cobalt for that.