Author Topic: 2009 Honda Fit  (Read 28132 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:12 pm »
I doubt it very much
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 08:33:47 pm »
Had the Fit for a couple of days, and I must say it's a pleasure to drive and that I agree with all the positive aspects mentioned in the Canadiandriver "first drive". (Sorry I am too lazy to repeat things that have already been said)

So overall quite happy with the Fit, I can think of only 3 things that bugs me with this car (Not including the ugly wheels)

1. The fuel lid door that doesn't lock
2. The parcel shelf being an option
3. The parcel shelf design

About 3.: The shelf doesn't extend until the back of the rear seat, it leaves a large gap between the seats and shelf.
To cover the gap a piece of cloth hangs from the shelf and has to be attached to the back of the seat with pushing buttons.
Note that originally there are not pushing buttons on the back of the seat so you have to install them.

Yes it's weird about the gap but i think they did that on purpose because the rear seatbacks  recline to certain extent. At least they do on my 07. When it's reclined the gap disappears.  I hated the price for the actual parcel shelf so i bought a knockoff from a Fit vender on the internet.  If you go to www.fitfreak.net there is lots of good info on these cars.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Jem_hadar

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • MORDSITH
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2008, 10:48:06 pm »
Just brought the FIT home, here are a few pictures

So what do you think of the new interior. I personally like it a lot (and I really hated the old interior). Think its cool, original, different and still stylish and not over-complicated.

How do you find the real-time / avg fuel economy reader below the speedo? One of the coolest things i like abt the new fit is that being offered as standard. so great for the subcompact segment.

wish my car had that factory. instead of me having to get a scan gauge to be able to monitor such information. :(
2007 Yaris Hatchback 5 Door LE, Manual, Bayou Blue Metallic

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:03 am »
I thought a scan gauge was more accurate then the car computer

PMREdmonton

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:33 am »
Looked at the specs - didn't see stability control.  That crosses the Fit off my short list.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2008, 03:58:51 pm »
Had the Fit for a couple of days, and I must say it's a pleasure to drive and that I agree with all the positive aspects mentioned in the Canadiandriver "first drive". (Sorry I am too lazy to repeat things that have already been said)

So overall quite happy with the Fit, I can think of only 3 things that bugs me with this car (Not including the ugly wheels)

1. The fuel lid door that doesn't lock
2. The parcel shelf being an option
3. The parcel shelf design

About 3.: The shelf doesn't extend until the back of the rear seat, it leaves a large gap between the seats and shelf.
To cover the gap a piece of cloth hangs from the shelf and has to be attached to the back of the seat with pushing buttons.
Note that originally there are not pushing buttons on the back of the seat so you have to install them.

Our Yaris is a bit similar in the parcel shelf design. Ours used velcro to attach to the rear seatback though which is a very quick and easy solution. It also makes it a bit adjustable as well. I think I prefer our design versus the snap on design.

fabre

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 03:33:46 am »
So what do you think of the new interior. I personally like it a lot (and I really hated the old interior). Think its cool, original, different and still stylish and not over-complicated.

How do you find the real-time / avg fuel economy reader below the speedo? One of the coolest things i like abt the new fit is that being offered as standard. so great for the subcompact segment.

Interior is nice, plastic are good quality and the layout of the controls is good too, anyway coming from a 2004 hyundai accent it's a vast improvement :)
I am also glad it doesn't have to much of these silver painted plastic.
I really hate those silver plastic you seem to find in all modern cars, I think they look like a cheap placeholder for a chrome trim, not to mention they will probably won't age well.

The multi function gauge is a nice touch, avg fuel is currently 7.4L/100km

My only other peeve is cabin storage, ok you get 2 glovebox but both are pretty small and like the fuel lid door they don't lock. There are lot's of small storage area but aside of the glove box none of them close, and since I don't like to leave anything in view when the car is parked, they are pretty useless.
Having said that the rear passenger seat behind the driver has a hidden box in the seat botton that can only be accessed when the seat bottom is raised, and being an automatic it has a fixflat instead of a spare wheel so there is additional storage space under the trunk carpet.

And 10 cupholders!? How thirsty can you be?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:04 am »
you get 2 glovebox but both are pretty small

How big are your gloves :o

fabre

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:31 pm »
you get 2 glovebox but both are pretty small

How big are your gloves :o

I do have big hands, but my gloves still fit fine :)

I have a map in book format, slightly smaller than a A4 and not specially thick, it barely fit flat with the Fit user manual in the larger glove box.
And since the are no side pockets on the door, I have nowhere else to put it.

Also I might be mistaken but I don't think all the junk my wife kept in the Accent glovebox would fit in the Fit gloveboxes.

On regards of my posts on the Fit, please don't misunderstand me, I still would recommend a Fit to anyone looking for a new car in that category.
I am just nitpicking on some minor issues.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:08:36 pm by Fab »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2008, 05:06:06 pm »
The Fit is a great package and I think the nitpicks I had with the previous gen are pretty much solved, especially the shopping-cart-wheel look of the base models.

The Yaris five door and the Fit are similarly priced, but I think the Fit is a roomier and more versatile package.  For an "only car" I think Honda wins by a nose...

Cortina

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2008, 05:30:04 pm »
I have to ask. Is like the Civic mk8. No Corners?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2008, 11:24:10 am »
I spent some time last night in a Honda dealership looking at the new Fit (Sport model in particular). My impressions are below.

Exterior:
Looks are obviously subjective, but while I cannot say I like the exterior design, I could live with it if this was the only thing I did not like about the car. One thing that positively impressed me was the fact that Honda protected the rocker panels with a layer of whatever material (very smart and not a common thing as far as I know, especially at this price point). On the negative side, the rear wheel well looks completely unfinished; there is no plastic cover around the wheel well; plus, it's only partially sprayed with rustproof and sound deadening material. You could see at least three colors in that area, which due to its design, is very visible when you walk around the car. As cheap as it can be!

Interior:
I did not like the dash design and I still don't after seeing it person. It is very functional however and well laid out. The cabin feel was on the cheap side, but not offensive. The fit and finish is good in general, but not perfect. There is a rather big gap between the top of the dash and the A-pillar trim on the passenger side. Some plastic trims are not quite tight and they allow significant movement (this was in the rear- floor/ seats area). None of the little cubbies are lined - they are all hard plastic (easy fix). The folding driver armrest is a joke (same as in the CRV) and there is only one. I did not quite like the seats - not enough lateral support, but the backrest was fine. The rear seats are not very comfortable either as the bottom is quite short; they feel like a park bench and they are quite thin and hard with no contour.
Where the Fit shines is the cabin space and cargo. Lots of leg, head, and shoulder room everywhere (for 4 people). And the best piece of engineering - the cargo space. Fabulous!!! Of course it comes with the price of not having a spare tire and less comfortable rear seats, but I’d say it’s an acceptable compromise for many.

My take:

For those who like the car or are less sensitive to the design and little details, I think the Fit is a very, very good choice. From my perspective, it's only the best choice in the segment today, as considered by many people and auto media, just because there is no much competition (yet).
The only thing that makes the Fit stand out is its spacious cabin and cargo space.

I did not drive the car so I cannot comment on that part.

Offline Jem_hadar

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • MORDSITH
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »
The Yaris five door and the Fit are similarly priced, but I think the Fit is a roomier and more versatile package.  For an "only car" I think Honda wins by a nose...

I have to agree as well (now that the new next generation Fit is out). It is a highly impressive subcompact vehicle.

Greg B.

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2008, 08:06:58 am »
Reading all the chatter here on the Fit, I cannot help but realize how far we have fallen when a vehicle such as this or its competitors (Yaris, Versa, etc) generates this much enthusiasm. I'm sure they are all fine for what they are. But when you get right down to it, while they are very efficient in use of space and fuel, back in the day when I was in the market for an entry-level car my choices would have been bigger, roomier, quieter, smoother-riding, and more comfortable. I would use a lot more fuel of course, and I doubt I could get as much odd-sized cargo in the trunk (unless the brand offered a station wagon). This is not a slam on the Fit or any other particular model. It is simply a comment on where our world has gone.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:14 am »
Fallen?    I think it is how far North Americans have RISEN that they are prepared to accept engines with less than 8 cylinders, cars smaller than 2 tonnes of road hugging weight and getting 40 mpg rather than 10 mpg.

Seems like a great step forward to me.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2008, 02:12:56 pm »
Took a look at a Fit Thursday. I like the exterior design, still roomy in the rear seat and hatch is huge (thin floor tho) for the size of this vehicle. I do not really like the dash design. The guages are nice, driver's armrest too, as is the visibility. Otherwise don't like the huge expanse of dash ahead, the many MANY curves and lines everywhere, placement of the HVAC, etc. It's just all over the top for nothing IMO. Not much room for knees, but I realize it's a small car. I can excuse the harder plastic, but some of the design is just wonky and off-putting. So much brilliance, and I really want to like it but really haven't been taken with either generation for some reason. Definitely better than Yaris which I really dislike, but I'd prefer the Accent or Versa (if it had the magic seat that'd be killer) in this segment.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2008, 05:41:40 pm »
Took a look at a Fit Thursday. I like the exterior design, still roomy in the rear seat and hatch is huge (thin floor tho) for the size of this vehicle. I do not really like the dash design. The guages are nice, driver's armrest too, as is the visibility. Otherwise don't like the huge expanse of dash ahead, the many MANY curves and lines everywhere, placement of the HVAC, etc. It's just all over the top for nothing IMO. Not much room for knees, but I realize it's a small car. I can excuse the harder plastic, but some of the design is just wonky and off-putting. So much brilliance, and I really want to like it but really haven't been taken with either generation for some reason. Definitely better than Yaris which I really dislike, but I'd prefer the Accent or Versa (if it had the magic seat that'd be killer) in this segment.

:iagree: The exterior design of the new Fit is very nice, much better than the previous one. I agree that the interior is where the Fit falls short, at least as far as aesthetics and comfort are concerned. The overall design, while amazingly functional, has too many  elements that don't integrate very well IMO. The seats seem thinner and less well padded than the ones in my Versa, especially in back. That might be why Honda was able to engineer those remarkable folding tricks into them.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »
Fallen?    I think it is how far North Americans have RISEN that they are prepared to accept engines with less than 8 cylinders, cars smaller than 2 tonnes of road hugging weight and getting 40 mpg rather than 10 mpg.

Seems like a great step forward to me.

i agree totally

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
“ Fallen?    I think it is how far North Americans have RISEN that they are prepared to accept engines with less than 8 cylinders, cars smaller than 2 tonnes of road hugging weight and getting 40 mpg rather than 10 mpg.

Seems like a great step forward to me.”
- tpl

I alos agree totally.  Soon trying to identify your prowess or muscularity by a V-8 Camaro or even fart-canned Civic will no longer be cool at all.  At the red signal start dash they will be hopelessly out-accelerated (silently) by a small EV or hybrid.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2008, 10:50:14 pm »
I would've agreed with the step forward if this trend (towards small cars) occurred voluntarily. Right now, it seems to be a reaction to a failing economy and rising gas prices. Folks are just trying to maximize returns on their dollar, and as an unintended consequence, learning benefits of small cars.