Author Topic: First Genesis review...and it's lukewarm at best  (Read 15112 times)

Cortina

Re: First Genesis review...and it's lukewarm at best
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:42 am »
The more I look at the car. The more I think it looks like base off a tiburon platform. :)

But it's not.  Not one ounce.  Tiburon is a front-drive platform.  This is a rear-drive platform. 

The design of the body. Not the mechanical bits.

Mitlov

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 11:54:15 am »
The more I look at the car. The more I think it looks like base off a tiburon platform. :)

But it's not.  Not one ounce.  Tiburon is a front-drive platform.  This is a rear-drive platform. 

The bodywork and the platform are two entirely different things.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 11:55:14 am »

This is exactly what I see in terms of design; a glorified Tiburon ... and this is not a compliment.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:09 pm »
Given the feel,attitude and atmosphere of the average Hyundai dealership around here I'd find it hard to imagine buying a $40k plus car from them.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Cortina

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:40 pm »

yer I know all that I've read so much on the net about this bloody car. But that is not what I'm getting at. Just put you hand over the front and back and you can see a Tiburon.

Quote from: carcrazy

This is exactly what I see in terms of design; a glorified Tiburon ... and this is not a compliment.

:iagree: That is what I mean.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:07 pm »

yer I know all that I've read so much on the net about this bloody car. But that is not what I'm getting at. Just put you hand over the front and back and you can see a Tiburon.

Quote from: carcrazy

:iagree: That is what I mean.
\
 ::) That is not what you said Meow. Think, type, read, think, retype, read, think, retype, read, and post. Try it sometime.

Cortina

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 02:21:52 pm »
::) That is not what you said Meow. Think, type, read, think, retype, read, think, retype, read, and post. Try it sometime.

I'm not Meow. My ID is Cortina. :)

Give me a break. I've not had my first coffee. Well I have now, but then not Haha.;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »
 ::)  Well ya know what they say:  Opinions are like arseholes... everybody's got 'em.  Styling is and always will be subjective, but I just don't get the whining here.  Complaints about the styling being too derivative... too 'me too'; and yet when Hyundai's designers don't copy Infiniti's front end, or add an interesting shape to the rear quarter windows, there's whining again. 

To my eye, the Genesis coupe has good proportions, fluid lines and a sleek shape... isn't that what a sports coupe should have?  If it isn't quite as classy as a 3-series or G37 coupe, who cares?  It's likely to cost nearly $10k less, yet still provide impressive performance and a similar 300 hp.  I can't wait to see it in the flesh and what's more, to drive it.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:34 pm »
What about Hyundai tasks its designers to come up with designs that are original AND nice? I'm sure people would stop making negative comments on their designs.

Mitlov

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:44 pm »
What about Hyundai tasks its designers to come up with designs that are original AND nice? I'm sure people would stop making negative comments on their designs.

Name one car where people universally thought it looked "nice."  Shoot, some people even hate the Cayman!  (That'd be Clarkson and Hammond).

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 08:42:11 am »

Name one car where people universally thought it looked "nice."  Shoot, some people even hate the Cayman!  (That'd be Clarkson and Hammond).

Universally? No.

But if we are to limit our "universe" to this forum, how many of the members can deny that the 3 Series Coupe or Audi A5 look at least nice?

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 12:21:07 pm »
::)  Well ya know what they say:  Opinions are like arseholes... everybody's got 'em.  Styling is and always will be subjective, but I just don't get the whining here.  Complaints about the styling being too derivative... too 'me too'; and yet when Hyundai's designers don't copy Infiniti's front end, or add an interesting shape to the rear quarter windows, there's whining again. 

To my eye, the Genesis coupe has good proportions, fluid lines and a sleek shape... isn't that what a sports coupe should have?  If it isn't quite as classy as a 3-series or G37 coupe, who cares?  It's likely to cost nearly $10k less, yet still provide impressive performance and a similar 300 hp.  I can't wait to see it in the flesh and what's more, to drive it.

Originality is not taking good design and bending it to grotesque proportions. Though I appreciate good design, originality is not a priority for me. If this car looked exactly like a G35, I wouldn't care. How about the G35 for a universally liked design?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 12:27:08 pm »
MY"OPINION" is more like a a nice ripe strawberry with a few seeds and stems attached............................................ :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
If this car looked exactly like a G35, I wouldn't care.

Maybe YOU wouldn't care... but half a zillion other people here would then complain about it not being original.  Can't please everyone all the time... and around here, ya can't please some people any time.

vdk

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:21 pm »
but the hyundai will own pretty much of all of those cars in terms of interior quality, driving dynamics and price..
it is the better package..

now.. scenario.. you're at a bar with a nice looking blonde, and you're about to drive her home but before you can do that she asks... 'So what do you drive?', umm.. 'A Hyundai'.. and there she goes.. alone..

G35 is not universal.. I don't really dig it.. 3 Series Coupe and A5  :drool:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:47 am »
does anybody here think people will buy the genesis over a mazda 6 gtv, v6 accord, v6 camry, TL, 328, g37 sedan, is350, c300, a4, or the new hot looking passat cc 3.6?  hyundai had to make this move but they are moving into a very competitive market. 

I would buy Genesis over every car listed there (don't even equate it with lowly Mazda6/Accord/Camry) because (and as opposed to the CTS) I think it belongs in the 5-Series/E/A6 class, priced like a 3/C/A4. It's just tonnes more car in mass and presence, great interior space and luxury, power/economy (on regular!), value, warranty. Only thing it doesn't have is AWD and a badge on the front. It's launching at the right time now and I expect them to sell well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:25:20 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
 ::) I could give a SH*T wotta nice lookin' BLONDE drives................ :rofl2:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:53 am »
I'm not sure the Genesis will "own" any of the BMWs or Audis in driving dynamics and engineering. For sure it doesn't "own" them in style; perhaps in luxury appointments and for sure on price.
BTW, what does the Genesis have in terms of luxury appointments that BMW 5ers and Audi A6 do not offer at any price point? One thing I know is the leather dash, but what else?

I could see Genesis attracting Avalon, Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln buyers - you get the demographics and maybe few Acura, Infinity, Lexus buyers too, but not so much BMW, Audi and MB.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:06:08 am by carcrazy »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:28 am »

I'm not Meow. My ID is Cortina. :)

Give me a break. I've not had my first coffee. Well I have now, but then not Haha.;D

There is no doubt in my mind and some of the other members who have come to the same conclusion. Thread very lightly and do not go back to the behaviour that resulted in the previous banishments on this site...capeesh?

vdk

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2008, 07:49:21 pm »
I'm not sure the Genesis will "own" any of the BMWs or Audis in driving dynamics and engineering. For sure it doesn't "own" them in style; perhaps in luxury appointments and for sure on price.
BTW, what does the Genesis have in terms of luxury appointments that BMW 5ers and Audi A6 do not offer at any price point? One thing I know is the leather dash, but what else?

I could see Genesis attracting Avalon, Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln buyers - you get the demographics and maybe few Acura, Infinity, Lexus buyers too, but not so much BMW, Audi and MB.

'mazda 6 gtv, v6 accord, v6 camry, TL, 328, g37 sedan, is350, c300, a4'

well the first 4 are down.. and i did say pretty much.. the bimmer will probably win on the twisties.. but i think the genesis is capable to stick with the rest of the RWD pack..

And we're not talking about 5s/A6s :P