Author Topic: First Genesis review...and it's lukewarm at best  (Read 15107 times)

WagonMan

Re: First Genesis review...and it's lukewarm at best
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:18 am »
The fanboy complex is true of almost everyone to some degree or another.  Although generally I find people on this board to be pretty reasonable.

I never had any interest in the 3-series BMW until the 335 came out.  I always considered them underpowered until the twin turbo engine.  I always thought it was a bit of a joke when a 328 with 225hp would beat a g35 with 290hp in magazine tests.

But I have always been a fan of turbo cars, and straight sixes with turbos are legendary for their tuning capability (e.g. Supra, Skyline).  For me in the midsize luxury segment the 335 is the clear winner currently primarily because of its engine.  If Mercedes brings out their rumoured turbo engine then it may have some competition. 

Frankly rrocket I'm surprised you are not drooling over the 335, you are clearly a fan of turbo sixes.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 12:55:38 pm »

Frankly rrocket I'm surprised you are not drooling over the 335, you are clearly a fan of turbo sixes.

Oh..I've said it many times...I love the 335s!! (But in powertrain only!).  Not a huge fan of the looks though.  And I'm not sure how "moddable" it would be, and if it would stay reliable.  What's the point of having an engine like that if you can't tinker??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

WagonMan

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 02:03:13 pm »

Oh..I've said it many times...I love the 335s!! (But in powertrain only!).  Not a huge fan of the looks though.  And I'm not sure how "moddable" it would be, and if it would stay reliable.  What's the point of having an engine like that if you can't tinker??
It is turning out to be pretty moddable.  There are a number of piggy back options available that will put the car into the high 300hp range, with exhaust and downpipes you can be just over 400.  So far it seems reliability has been good at that level, however the 450hp supra bpu level is still questionable.  No idea what the limits are of the stock bottom end yet.

Cars have had some overheating issues (they don't overheat they just reduce power once oil temp reaches a specific level to protect the car), but an oilcooler seems to have fixed that. That has mainly been an issue on track driven cars.  I don't think the limits of the fuel system have been reached yet, so no idea at what hp level you will need to upgrade that.  Based on what people are learning on the Mazdaspeed3 the direct injection cars are not limited by injector duty cycle but by the output of the high pressure fuel pump.  There is already an upgraded HPFP for the MS3.

So far the drivetrain for both manual and auto cars have held up well to that level of hp.

I think the quickest 335s on slicks are now in the high 11s in the 1/4, still not in Supra range, but not exactly slugs either.

I know none of this from personal experience as my 335xi is driven by my wife, who turned down my offer of an extra 75hp. ;D

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 03:36:14 pm »
Well, I'm definitely a BMW fan...I don't think I'm a 'delusional' fanboy

For instance, I'd certainly test drive a G37 Coupe when looking at a 335i (or even 135i).  I think the current 5 and 7 series are ugly.  I'd definitely take an S class or A8 over a 7 if I were ever in the market for a giant luxo car.

But when it comes down to offering luxury sports sedans and coupes (thinking specifically of the 1, 3, 5, and 6), they are still the mark to beat.  Are they worth the price premium they demand over their competitor (e.g 335i vs G37)?  Maybe...maybe not.  Depends on the buyer's wants and his/her budget.

These cars receive the accolades they do because they are great cars, not because ALL the reviewers are biased.  It only BENEFITS the magazine if they can publish reviews like Motor Trend's "THE KING IS DEAD!!!!" (G37 topping the 335i).  People eat up controversy, they want to see the best get beaten...it'll sell magazines.

It's the same reason so many people hate the Yankees and Cowboys, the same reason there's an anti-Microsoft stigma with software losers, and the same reason most of the world is anti-US (well...there's actually lots of reasons here, but you get the idea).

Success breeds contempt.

I'm not saying the rest of the auto world isn't catching up (or possibly caught up in the case of the G37).  But I think it's a little naive to suggest all the magazine/internet/newspaper reviewers are biased BMW fanboys.

If you disagree, buy the Lexus.  :)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:37:56 pm by evil_twin »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »
I don't disagree.  My argument was the BMW had no competition for years.  Think about it.  How many RWD sport sedans was the BMW competing with in the 80's and 90's?  A couple maybe?  And while I won't say the BMW won because of default (since it is a nice handling car), let's just say the competition wasn't very stiff.  In the last few years, however, the competition has been very, very good....

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:41 am »
I don't disagree.  My argument was the BMW had no competition for years.  Think about it.  How many RWD sport sedans was the BMW competing with in the 80's and 90's?  A couple maybe?  And while I won't say the BMW won because of default (since it is a nice handling car), let's just say the competition wasn't very stiff.  In the last few years, however, the competition has been very, very good....

Agreed.  And the competition is still getting better, no doubt.

whistleryow

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 12:38:47 pm »
I can't wait to see this car in person. I've heard that Koreans are even harder on Hyundai than North Americans.

mr_sandman

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »
is this thing on sale yet?  I saw one today at Warden & Steeles intersection (Toronto), it was coming south on Warden and made a right westward on Steeles.  I know the Hyundai Canada offices are about 15-30min drive from the area.

anyways, I'm not too impressed by the looks.  When it first caught my attention, I thought it was a Lexus ... the smooth curvaceous lines of the vehicle give a look of Japanese luxury vehicle.  The logo-less grill looked awkward on the vehicle, it just didn't look right to me.  The rim design are somewhat plain and overall, the design is nothing to talk about, very generic.  It is a BIG car, slightly smaller than the Lexus GS and it seemed to have plenty of zip as it made its way.

I was expecting a lot, visually, from this vehicle, but I'm very disappointed.  It'll easily get lost in traffic amoung other vehicles.  From the pics, I still have high high hopes for the Genesis Coupe.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 04:21:09 pm »
TRANSFORMATIONAL like Barak OBAMA......hell he must have a BILLION in his HIP pocket when he gets mentioned inna "CAR".review......................i feel yer McCain Hillary..... :rofl: :rofl2: :popo:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:32 pm »
IMO the proportions are right, but the lines are all wrong. Sort of like a G37 that went wrong, especially the 'sagging' front grill and the character line at the rear window (which I fixed in the image below).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:46:35 pm by Serniter »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »
I like the look of it, however they lose this one sale because its too heavy. I also think that, despite Hyundai's aspirations, this car will for many be cross shopped against the FWD Accord Coupe and Altima Coupe, where it is unlikely to be price competitive.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 04:50:16 pm »
This car is a mish mash of everything, this is one ugly Genesis, yet the sedan is so attractive.  Hyundai stop imitating and come up with something.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 05:22:14 pm »
The moment Hyundai stops "inspiring" from other manufacturers and try to put their design "touch" on the cars, things go sour.

Yeah, the Genesis sedan looks rather good because they didn't get "creative" and stick with the design bits and pieces from other luxury cars and they put all their effort into tweaking and stitching them well together.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »
.....by Def. it is the FIRST    ................GENESIS.....origin...so there never can be a second.............maybe a Hyundai2Gen in 2012 :P

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 05:33:58 pm »
I question it being called Genesis. If they want the sedan to be a luxury car and I think it's being received well, don't think a sporty coupe makes sense to share the same name. May even bring it down a peg, regardless of how powerful or capable the Coupe is.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:59:13 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

barrie1

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:38 pm »
I think with the new CTS hitting the market the Comparatable models built by BMW will have a real race on their hands for the better of the 2 title. Especially the CTS-V which will definitely keep up with the larger models built by BMW also. They are both excellent cars but sometimes the price alone can be a determining factor for some buyers.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 11:29:40 pm »
I think with the new CTS hitting the market the Comparatable models built by BMW will have a real race on their hands for the better of the 2 title. Especially the CTS-V which will definitely keep up with the larger models built by BMW also. They are both excellent cars but sometimes the price alone can be a determining factor for some buyers.  :)

I got lost or something, I thought this was a Genesis thread?   ??? ???

I agree with some, the coupe is not anywhere as nice looking as the sedan.  Too bad as it will reflect poorly on the sedan as they sit side-by-side in showrooms.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Cortina

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12:12 am »
The more I look at the car. The more I think it looks like base off a tiburon platform. :)

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:24 am »
The more I look at the car. The more I think it looks like base off a tiburon platform. :)

But it's not.  Not one ounce.  Tiburon is a front-drive platform.  This is a rear-drive platform.