Author Topic: 2009 Fiesta: pizza delivery boys everywhere rejoice  (Read 30980 times)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Fiesta: pizza delivery boys everywhere rejoice
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »
...ya can say that agin'...............Forsa Bellisimo........

that should read forZa bellisimo... ;)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »
Looks like a euro-spec Fiesta, but I have not seen those wheels on any pics from over here.

I noticed that too, but luckily they don't look bad. Less exterior chrome would be better too.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2008, 09:34:01 am »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2008, 09:41:16 am »
...delivery NOW in 10 Minutes OR it's FREE... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:06 pm »
So strange seeing Ford and GM duke it out for excellence in small cars....

Excellent dynamic performance, eye-catching style and a roomy interior are sure to make it a hit. Only the slightly uninspired packaging is a letdown. So has our supermini champ the Corsa met its match already?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:22 pm »
I wonder what they would say if they drove the one with an Auto trans.... far less upbeat I bet.
Converting those prices into $     (   price in pounds/1.175 *2)  is close enough   they cost between $14800 and $23310   which is competitive with the Fit/Jazz  here as they say in the article.

I suspect the version with the 1.6TDCI diesel would be a really nice car and I'd bet $10 that is exactly the one we will never get.    I am sure the one we will get will have a 2 litre gas engine and of course 85% of them will be sold with a slushbox so it will be a smaller lighter Focus.   This is not a disaster but it detracts from the point of the car.

We will see.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »
I think one of the engines for the North American market will be the 1.6 Ti-VCT 118-120hp with a combined fuel economy of 47.9 mpg.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:11:38 pm by MKII »

Cortina

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2008, 04:33:08 pm »

I still say very Peugeot. Not like that's a bad thing. It looks great tho. :)

The dash gets a thumbs down from me.  :-\

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2008, 10:25:46 pm »
I guess we are getting the 1.6L gas engine with 5-speed manual or a 4 speed automatic just like in Europe. No need for a bigger engine in this car IMO. However, IIRC Ford has a 1.4L turbo in the pipeline so that engine would make sense to me. I would think a non-turbo 1.4 would indeed be too small for North America.
I guess we'll find out soon enough....

Cortina

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:37 am »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2008, 04:09:47 am »
I guess we are getting the 1.6L gas engine with 5-speed manual or a 4 speed automatic just like in Europe. No need for a bigger engine in this car IMO. However, IIRC Ford has a 1.4L turbo in the pipeline so that engine would make sense to me. I would think a non-turbo 1.4 would indeed be too small for North America.

Ford would be plain old stupid if they didn't bring the diesel engine over here.  I mean...76MPG trumps even the hydrids...Wit the diesel, Ford would not be able to keep these things on the lot...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2008, 07:39:35 am »

Ford would be plain old stupid if they didn't bring the diesel engine over here.  I mean...76MPG trumps even the hydrids...Wit the diesel, Ford would not be able to keep these things on the lot...

Can the Euroland diesel made to pass Tin 2 Bin 5 ?
If not what is the point of writing about it
Just because diesel is cheaper then gas is around here :'(

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:12 am »

True, but as you know very well, in general, the manufacturers don't rush to bring the diesel engines to North America although they sell them elsewhere.
I'm just trying to be realistic... and eventually be positively surprised...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2008, 12:02:26 am »
I read all first drive articles on the Fiesta I could find and they range from very good to excellent.
Now it's about time to nitpick a bit. I wonder if the Fiesta, in any trim, does have a front armrest. I could not see one in any interior picture. I noticed it has two front cup holders though. ;)

I read the rear suspension for this platform is a torsion beam, but not certain if the rear brakes are drums or discs; I suspect drums since this is typical for the class. Is that expensive to use a rear independent suspension and rear disc brakes for this class?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2008, 12:36:22 am »
I hope they bring it to NA successfully and that it spells the turn around for ford.  Based on that review...it sounds like a fantastic small car.

Mitlov

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2008, 12:48:22 am »

Do you consider Toyota "plain old stupid" because they do not bring the diesel Yaris to North America?  I agree that it would be good if Ford brought the Fiesta diesel here, but I don't think we should call them "plain old stupid" when NOBODY sells a diesel subcompact in North America.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2008, 02:44:07 am »
^^^^Not so much Toyota since they've been pushing an entire line of hybrids in both their Toyotas and Lexus brands in North America.  Ford on the other hand has not..or isn't going to.  So throw in some diesels along with their Eco-turbos..and Ford would have a REALLY great line of powerplants...Without the diesel in the Fiesta, that car isn't terribly special IMO....But with the diesel?  They've REALLY got something there...I'd buy one!!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2008, 08:33:35 am »
I think if Fiesta can be as economical as Fit and Yaris with the 1.6L gas engine, but handle better, look much better, be better equipped, have a better interior, etc. it could be the best in the segment, which it is an achievement by itself.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2008, 10:51:43 am »
I think if Fiesta can be as economical as Fit and Yaris with the 1.6L gas engine, but handle better, look much better, be better equipped, have a better interior, etc. it could be the best in the segment, which it is an achievement by itself.
True that. I keep saying to people...why is it that Honda can have a car for 16 grand that has a nicer interior than some of the Fords that sell for 24 grand?  And the Fiesta breaks that absolutely.  At least in pictures.  And from the sounds of it the sport version can handle itself excellently.  It may be Honda and especially Toyota playing catchup on this segment all of the sudden.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:08 pm »
Ford is behind the eightball.  In order to compete with Honda and Toyota, they will have to have the same level of quality, materials, etc.  Well, this costs money, which is why Honda and Toyota products are usually priced higher than Ford.  Ford has been selling on their discounted prices for so long, I'm not sure how long it will take for people to adjust their thinking.

But, Hyundai gives Ford hope.  They still sell on value with lower prices than their competitors.  But, slowly, they are making gains.  Quality is up dramatically and their reputation is turning around.

Ford needs to follow the same path.  Bring the Euro cars here, try to get them into people's hands with real value.  Perhaps the same price as the Honda, but give buyers those slick 17" wheels that look so great in the brochure?  Try increasing the value equation without lowering prices.

Here's what Ford needs:

1. Fiesta/etc to go up against the Fit/Yaris
2. Focus (better Euro model!!) to go up against the Civic/Corolla/Matrix.  Offer a decent range of Focus products perhaps including an AWD wagon and maybe some innovative drivelines like diesels.
3. Taurus/Mondeo/whatever that matches the Camry/Accord/6/Altima/Sonata.  This is the US bread and butter segment and Ford needs a much stronger competitor.  They MUST have a model where the 4-banger/AT version is SUPERB.  The vast majority of Camry/Accord sales are 4-cylinder/AT versions, and Ford needs to understand why.  Maybe they could jump the gun with a diesel here too?  Hey, give us a cool wagon?
4. They need to update/improve the Escape even though it's a strong seller.  For those of us that have become diehard import buyers, the Forester/Rav-4/CR-V line up is just too strong.

There.  Four models with some variations (wagons/drivelines) is all they really need to really be back in business.  All with four cylinder drivelines as the strongest selling driveline.