Author Topic: Import STi to Canada  (Read 7995 times)

jromanjr

Import STi to Canada
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:24:35 pm »
Hello all you STi lovers.

I have talked to the people at RIV and they have confirmed that we will be able to import the STi from the US.

Hello STi base model..

LBJGH

Re: Import STi to Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:19:47 pm »
Given that the MSRP is $9,300 more in Canada than the USA it's well worth your time and effort to buy the car in the US.

Base on the outrageous MSRP difference I wouldn't even put a foot into a Subaru Canada dealership!

>:(

Subaru Canada should be ashamed!!

jromanjr

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:29:15 pm »
Given that the MSRP is $9,300 more in Canada than the USA it's well worth your time and effort to buy the car in the US.

Base on the outrageous MSRP difference I wouldn't even put a foot into a Subaru Canada dealership!

I agree with you 100% about Subaru Canada.  I now the current STi in Canada is not bad in price compared to the US for a fully loaded model but why should we have to buy the fully loaded model. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:56:04 pm »

Exaggerate much?

If you compare apples to apples, you'll find that the MSRP of the Canadian STI is only $4,200 more than the identically equipped US STI.

Not pocket change, to be sure, but the difference is still less than half of your wildly inflated figure.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:56:30 pm »
Heck...in the US you can darn near get a WRX for a base Impreza in Canada.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »
Heck...in the US you can darn near get a WRX for a base Impreza in Canada.....

^That is where the true "best value" lies in Impreza land.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
^^^^ I agree.  And the way that thing takes to mods, you can have STi power for THOUSANDS less!!

jromanjr

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »

Exaggerate much?

If you compare apples to apples, you'll find that the MSRP of the Canadian STI is only $4,200 more than the identically equipped US STI.

Not pocket change, to be sure, but the difference is still less than half of your wildly inflated figure.

I agree with you on that fact but if we look at the whole subaru product lineup the STi is one of the only examples were Subaru did the pricing right.  They are a company who just does not seem to care that they are overpricing their cars.  Maybe they are waiting till the 09's to come out before they lower their pricing.  If that is so then i think we should all wait till 09 to buy a Subaru.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:53:44 am »
Subaru isn't alone. There are other companies out there that are doing the same thing - making a lot of money off us dumb Canookies. ;)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:29:33 am »
It all comes down to money....If you have alternate sources available to fund your car purchase buying in the US is a no-brainer in most cases. If you're a payment buyer (like most) who needs manufacturer financing or leasing you're screwed.

I can't see the Caandian arms of the various manufacturers lowering prices to US levels anytime soon. The relatively small number of sales lost to the US are more than offset by the fat profit margins they're enjoying at current pricing levels.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:54:23 am »
Although I do agree that the prices of many cars are a little out of whack with respect to the US, it's not like the companies are "screwing" Canadians.

The fact that the US economy went into the toilet suddenly means cars should be cheaper in Canada??  These companies are simply charging the same costs for their cars here as they always did.  The truth is they're simply not making anywhere near the money they used to in the US.

The Canadian economy has done well...but the dollar being at par with the US has way more to do with the US tanking, then it does Canadians suddenly working much harder and building a stronger economy.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
The Canadian economy has done well...but the dollar being at par with the US has way more to do with the US tanking, then it does Canadians suddenly working much harder and building a stronger economy.

Why do people continue to spout this nonsense?  The Canadian dollar was one of the world's best performing currencies in 2007, with substantial gains against the Euro, the Pound, and the Yen.  The rise in the Canadian dollar has everything to do with the strong price of oil and gold, both of which have been hitting record levels over the last 12 months.  I forget - what are two of Canada's big commodity exports?  Right - oil and gold.

Leave this "Canada only looks good in comparison to the US" crap at home.  It's simply not true.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:36:46 am »

Why do people continue to spout this nonsense?  The Canadian dollar was one of the world's best performing currencies in 2007, with substantial gains against the Euro, the Pound, and the Yen.  The rise in the Canadian dollar has everything to do with the strong price of oil and gold, both of which have been hitting record levels over the last 12 months.  I forget - what are two of Canada's big commodity exports?  Right - oil and gold.

Leave this "Canada only looks good in comparison to the US" crap at home.  It's simply not true.

Thank You!    It's not rocket science to go to Yahoo finance or some other site and look at 5 year charts of the CDN $ vs the Euro,Yen,Pound etc. Our dollar is very strong right now and that should be reflected in the price of all imports. If you are paying the same or more for something imported from the Far East,the US or Europe than you were a year or two ago someone is making more money.

davidm

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »
My cousin just bought an Outback in the US.  Called the Washington dealer that has been moving stuff up here and was informed he cannot talk to her by Subaru US edict.  Washington and Oregon are in Canadian customer bans, so she found a dealer in Northern California who was happy to sell the car (and do a lot of the importation work as well).  Apparently they are slowly rolling in the ban north to south so move quickly.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:27:22 pm »
I got my WRX at Vanbortel Subaru http://www.vanbortel.subarusdc.com/
in Dec. 07. They did all the pre-sale paper work and gave me all the paper work that you need for RIV. His e-mail is karl@vanbortelsubaru.com

After duty, PST and GST the base STI should come to around: $41900

As for comparing apples to oranges in Canada your not given a choice in trim level so if you just want the base level then that is what your going to have to compare against. So in Canada the STI is $50850 a difference of $8950
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

LBJGH

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 05:02:07 pm »
1. nonsense
2. huh?  the canuck buck is at par with the green back... as a consumer that's all I need to know.  I don't want the manufacturers to make more money off me than our American cousins... what a load of crap.  It's OK to keep gouging us??
3. If the Canadian dollar is at par I can buy a car in the US cheaper than here... that's all the manufacturers need to know.

Your attitude is the very reason Canadians get screwed by retailers.

1. Although I do agree that the prices of many cars are a little out of whack with respect to the US, it's not like the companies are "screwing" Canadians.

2. The fact that the US economy went into the toilet suddenly means cars should be cheaper in Canada??  These companies are simply charging the same costs for their cars here as they always did.  The truth is they're simply not making anywhere near the money they used to in the US.

3. The Canadian economy has done well...but the dollar being at par with the US has way more to do with the US tanking, then it does Canadians suddenly working much harder and building a stronger economy.

LBJGH

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »
Thanks Zombie...  more proof that Canadian manufacturers are screwing us!

I got my WRX at Vanbortel Subaru http://www.vanbortel.subarusdc.com/
in Dec. 07. They did all the pre-sale paper work and gave me all the paper work that you need for RIV. His e-mail is karl@vanbortelsubaru.com

After duty, PST and GST the base STI should come to around: $41900

As for comparing apples to oranges in Canada your not given a choice in trim level so if you just want the base level then that is what your going to have to compare against. So in Canada the STI is $50850 a difference of $8950

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 08:05:12 pm »

Huh?  ???

The STI is only sold one way in Canada: Fully loaded for $44,995.

The only way to get the price of an STI up to 50 large is if you include accessories like ski racks, kayak stackers, floor mats, side window deflectors, cargo nets, short-throw shifter, etc., etc. ... And all that stuff also costs extra in the States. How is that an aplples-to-apples comparison?

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 08:27:24 pm »
Although I do agree that the prices of many cars are a little out of whack with respect to the US, it's not like the companies are "screwing" Canadians.

The fact that the US economy went into the toilet suddenly means cars should be cheaper in Canada??  These companies are simply charging the same costs for their cars here as they always did.  The truth is they're simply not making anywhere near the money they used to in the US.

The price of US cars has been disproportionatly lower than Canada for much much longer than just the recent jump to par of the Canadian dollar. Even when the dollar was 80 cents the prices still were off.

LBJGH

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 08:41:43 pm »
I wish it was only $50can.

Go to the Subaru Canada site and price up the base STI car...

Financed the car over 5 years and the Canadian STI will cost you a WHOPPING $60,921.72  :o

Huh?  ???

The STI is only sold one way in Canada: Fully loaded for $44,995.

The only way to get the price of an STI up to 50 large is if you include accessories like ski racks, kayak stackers, floor mats, side window deflectors, cargo nets, short-throw shifter, etc., etc. ... And all that stuff also costs extra in the States. How is that an aplples-to-apples comparison?