Author Topic: No wonder the Mercedes R class is failing...The rear doors.  (Read 12588 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: No wonder the Mercedes R class is failing...The rear doors.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 09:50:35 am »
I'd always thought it was a Mercedes Hearse...

(It's really a family car?  Interesting...)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
It doesn't have the practicality of a minivan. It's dimensions make it too clumsy to be effective as a wagon.

It's a Vagon. The worst of both worlds.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:18 pm »
The R Class is so big and ungainly looking I can't imagine why anyone would lay out that kind of cash for one. A top-of-the-line Honda Odyssey is a much more elegant and practical people mover than this Mercedes Wago-van, not to mention a lot cheaper. Factor MB's less than stellar reliability ratings into the equation and the R Class leaves me scratching my head. :think:

I guess some people will buy anything if it has that 3-pointed star on the grill. ??? ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 05:36:04 pm »
 :P.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

gap4you

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 05:47:13 pm »
wow i didn't know this was an r class hate theard or should i say forum?
anyways, i see it as a tall wagon. this is really a subjective matter beside insurance institute and car reviews consider R class as an tall wagon.

For your information, R class isn't a minvan and i seriously doubt minivan buyers can even afford or willing to pay for an R class.
No offence to anyone but seriously do you think a car that cost 60k+  and with options that can hover around 80k+ is targed to a minivan buyer?

Ummm....yes.

It's targetted at people with lots of money who want three rows of seating.  Those are the same people who typically buy the high end minivans.  Like, say, the Siena AWD.  They aren't cheap, either.

All this R class is, is a humongous station wagon.  Just like in the 70s, when you had the little jump seats in the back.

I don't know why all the pretense and :censor:, trying to pretend it's something it's not.

first of all, a high end minivan sounds like an oxymoron, no actully it is an oxymoron..
whats the next hadline? Toyota sienna takes on the German's top 3 high end brand?
because it has an AWD??? and that R CLASS is not made off road??
the whole idea of an minivan started as a practicality, versatile and affordable people hauler,
which chrysler's first minvian was
however, as time pass auto maker added more option
to appeal broader audience and to look more upscale and elegant with options like leather, better tire,nice stereo,advance safety feature etc etc....in the end it comes down to the same damn body shell with bunch of damn options which is  where all the profits lies anways.
the best example would be a toyota camry/lexus ES. shove all the option in a base camry and voila! you have yourself an high end lexus ES(fatten camry) and realibility rox cause its so damn uninspire to drive it.

sooo who's the real pretender?? a minivan like sienna awd trying to fit in a high model??? btw sienna is nothing close to high end model in price and ofcours in quality and i seriously doubt a person that can afford an 70k-100k car would buy a sienna because it fits 7 people.
On the other hand, there is a model like R class which shares alot of comman parts with ML,GL and not some cheap body parts that comes out from a base sienna which cost like 28k.

anyways, i don't know how many of you had any long term driving experince with any of the mercedes line up like ML,GL or even R Class but one thing for sure, it doesn't compare to a SIENNA.
if design and style is what your bashing then well, i can't say much about that since its a SUBJECTIVE matter.

one last thing, how many people out there do you think would give a rat about reliablity rating of an mercedes, reallly when an oil change would cost you over $300 and 20k km maintaince will set you back to about $700-$1000.
Beside mercedes has an excellent loaner service and also some service which they would pick up and drop off your car to your home/office.

3 pointed star really means german engineering,service and convinience.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:56:24 pm by gap4you »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »
I think R class is a beautiful looking  car http://www.mbtoronto.com/index.cfm?id=3876

gap4you

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
Yes it is and it drives great too =D press the pedal all the way and you get this great sensation where i can only feel in a mercedes.

It's one of those car where the more you look at it the more you appriciate the style.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 06:21:38 pm »

one last thing, how many people out there do you think would give a rat about reliablity rating of an mercedes, reallly when an oil change would cost you over $300 and 20k km maintaince will set you back to about $700-$1000.
Beside mercedes has an excellent loaner service and also some service which they would pick up and drop off your car to your home/office.

[/quote]

Reliability has nothing to do with the price of routine services and everything to do with being in the shop all the time or being left on the side of the road.

The Benz factory guys all kind of scoffed when Lexus,Infiniti etc arrived in the early 90's...I doubt they're laughing now
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

gap4you

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 06:50:48 pm »
reliabliity really comes down to how many trips you make to the dealer thats not include the service routin.
but most of time for me the mb guys does all the inspection unless its electrical problem which was the case on two ocassion which they took care of it while doing the service routin.
the most unreliability car i ever drove was a saab, the engine died after the 2nd year with 40k..
as long as the car doesnt stop in a middle of the road then it's not a really a concern.

basicly, i would say high end car are bough mostly based on preference in design,style and brand rather then reliability.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 07:05:27 pm »
basicly, i would say high end car are bough mostly based on preference in design,style and brand rather then reliability.

One word: Leasing.  MB has driven away their traditional customer (We've had eight) due to the drop in build quality and replaced them with people that aren't interested in a robustly engineered car that has the odo go past 400K without a hiccup.  Nope, today, talk to an MB salesperson and they speak like this..

"The lease payment for 39 months is $699."

Not that long ago they said stuff like...

"Twenty years.  Many of our customers keep their cars for twenty years.  They cost a lot, but they last."

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 07:46:11 pm »
I just saw a 450sel today, not a gargae queen but well used... and it still looked and sounded good. No smoke, no dents, all the chrome still shiny.  Must have been a mid 80's car.

If I though a new E 320  bluetec or even a c300 4 matic would last 20+ years and still be running well and looking good I'd buy one next week. Even with the devils spawn automatic transmission  ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

gap4you

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 08:00:30 pm »

One word: Leasing.  MB has driven away their traditional customer (We've had eight) due to the drop in build quality and replaced them with people that aren't interested in a robustly engineered car that has the odo go past 400K without a hiccup.  Nope, today, talk to an MB salesperson and they speak like this..

"The lease payment for 39 months is $699."

Not that long ago they said stuff like...

"Twenty years.  Many of our customers keep their cars for twenty years.  They cost a lot, but they last."
haha, as much as i hate to admit it, i agree with you
MB used to be much more exclusive and expensive also i seen and know people who owned MB for more then 15 years or even past 20 years.

Even up untill the late 90's you could still see some 70's MB in the street.
I guess they don't make the car as they used too.
however, i still think MB is a MB, it's just doesn't last long as before.

as for the lease program, i would say most if not all of the automaker are promoting leasing no matter which
brand it is but yes a MB salesperson can't use the whole "Twenty years.  Many of our customers keep their cars for twenty years.  They cost a lot, but they last." comment

But it really comes down to the trend that we are living in, not many people in this day would keep a high end cars for more then 5 years if bough new not because it doesn't last longer then 5 years but they just want newest techonology, not something that was introduce 5-10 years ago or even something that last 20-30 years.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:29:16 pm by gap4you »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:17 pm »
I just saw a 450sel today, not a gargae queen but well used... and it still looked and sounded good. No smoke, no dents, all the chrome still shiny.  Must have been a mid 80's car.

450SEL was last out in 1980.  That car is at least 28 years old...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »
first of all, a high end minivan sounds like an oxymoron, no actully it is an oxymoron..
whats the next hadline?

No, a high end minivan is not an oxymoron.  Please feel free to consult a dictionary on 'oxymoron'.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:19 am »
 ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41:43 am »

No it's not.  "Minivan" describes a body type (unibody-platformed people-hauling van smaller than truck-based passenger vans), not a price point.  You can have a luxury minivan just as much as you can have a luxury subcompact.  The Audi A2, and perhaps even the BMW 1-Series, are luxury subcompacts.  Sure, they don't directly compete to Fits and Yarises, but that doesn't mean it's not a "subcompact" (i.e., smaller than the company's compact car, the A4 and 3-Series). 

Likewise, the lack of sliding doors doesn't mean it's not a minivan.  The first-generation Honda Odyssey had four normal doors.

In this case, apparently, it means "makes Stuttgart fanboys over-defensive."

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 10:07:01 am »
[

Someone to join Barrie and ArcticSteve??

baumer00

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 03:24:29 pm »

haha, good one

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 04:37:56 pm »
No bigger German car fan than me.  We've had two BMW's, two Porsches, and eight Mercedes'.  But, I'm a realist.  For a daily driver, it's got to drive daily.  I don't want to be sunurned by the CE light, and I want the car to only stop for routine service and that service should not be stupendously overpriced.

A 911 can be a PITA.  I'll live with that.  But, all but a few MB models are "normal" cars designed to function as such.  There is nothing special at all about either the C or the E class.  These are not cutting edge cars containing "trying it out on you" technology.

Back when I bought the C230, an oil change was $40 at most dealers.  That changed shortly after I bought the car and it rocketed to $200 or so.  Gimme a break.  If you saw how the dealer changes the oil (out the dipstick tube with a top mounted filter) you'd cry about the charge.  I do it in my garage at home in less than 15 minutes.  (leave it Saf)  At the dealer, it takes a tech less than 10 minutes to change the oil and filter.

Then they BS you that they do an A service with it's 38 or 55 or whatever point "inspection."  BS.  They do nothing.  Check the brake pads?  Why?  The car has a warning light for that.  Check the bulbs?  Why?  The car has a warning light for that.  They do nothing other than ring up the bill.

Yes, they have the specialized equipment that allows then to change the oil in <10 minutes, but at $1200-1400 per hour in revenue for oil changes, that got paid for fast.

The Subaru dealer has to put the car up, undo the drain bolt, drain the oil, change the filter, bring the car down and refill the oil.  Probably takes twice as long as the MB.  But, Subaru charges me $75 for an oil change with Mobil 1, and they are shocked that I don't blink at that, 'cause everyone else bitches about it and gets the $29 dino oil change...

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:56 pm »
Really the only styling faux pas with the R I don't like is the front headlights with inboard turn signal / high beam / whatever function it serves. Awkward. Otherwise think they're styled pretty well. Inside they're spacious too. That's one hellava lot of Mercedes for the price, and efficient with the CDI.

Looks even better in AMG guise  ;D

All that said, the GL is very appealing too. But the R gets all the negative vibes so am drawn to it.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!