Author Topic: New TSX unmasked...tech details on page 2  (Read 19730 times)

Mitlov

New TSX unmasked...tech details on page 2
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:32 am »
Only one picture so far:

And unfortunately, no technical details yet.  I want to know whether it's FWD or SH-AWD, whether it's a naturally aspirated four, turbo four, V6, or clean diesel, and whether a manual transmission is still available (I read at least one rumor that it would lack a manual in the United States, like the new A4  >:( ).

The 2009 Acura TSX will be introduced during the New York International Auto Show media days which occur on March 19th and 20th.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:14:10 pm by Mitlov »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: New TSX unmasked...but no technical details yet
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:05:36 am »
Honda is one of few companies that has the balls not only to offer manual, but not offer an auto one some of their cars (Civic Si, S2000).  Hopefully we can take that to mean they'll continue to offer a manual in their "sport sedan".

Turbo 4 + SH-AWD would make this thing a WRX crusher.  :D

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:08:04 am »

In the States, though, where Subarus aren't more expensive than God, it would also offer WRX performance at STI pricing (though more refinement, of course)...so I'm not sure I'd compare the two.  I'd be surprised if they could offer a turbo-four SH-AWD TSX, fully loaded with options like Acura always does, for less than US$35,000.

baumer00

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:39:17 am »
That nose makes it look like a Mazda6 (which I actually like), however, in this case I don't mean it as a compliment.

curls

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:46:58 am »
Here are some pics of the Euro-Accord, which should look almost identical inside and out, to the TSX on this side of the ponds.
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=740462

Aside from the different (Acura-ized) grille, I expect the sheet metal to remain identical and the logos to be changed.

IMO, the interior looks great.  Very well laid out.  The wheels aren't too nice though.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
Thanks for pics Mitlov and curls. :)

By the way, is that you in your new avatar Mitlov?

Looks like an evolution from the current EuroAccord/TSX, not a revolution. (re Sports4 Concept)

Of course, I like that, as I love the understated look of the TSX now (and mine won't look as dated later) EDIT: But it looks underwhelming for a sports sedan.

I love my car to death. I honestly did not expect to love it more the longer I have it.

I agree with respect to the wheels. Hopefully the TSX ones will be better looking.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:05:19 am by Julie »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-98
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:04:06 am »
Nice overall .... but that's it.

robarakira

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:22:51 pm »
I find this thing vanilla, but pretty similar to the current TSX.

FWD will start with another 4 banger, but diesel will come.  An SH-AWD turbo model is speculated for coming in the future.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:50:52 pm »
I think the aftermarket suppliers could make a killing offering more attractive replacement grilles for new Acuras...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »

Vehicle size and pricing will be more in line with the Legacy.
TSX 2.4 vs Legacy 2.5 LTD
TSX 2.3T (Type S) vs Legacy 2.5T (Spec B)
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »
ehh not bad, its too TL up front. Nothing "WOW" about it, but whats up with Honda's new front grills?  :-X

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »
Expect to see a similar "bucktooth" front grille when the 09 TL comes in Sept-Oct 2008.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:48 pm »
The grille is terrible.

Aftermarket grilles on the way.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

jromanjr

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:40:20 pm »

Lets hope you are wrong cause there is No way someone would pay amost 45K for a TSX type S.  My big problem is that I think you might be right about the pricing becuase everytime I talk to one of theses Acura dealers they say that the price of the new TSX is going up 10K and they are going to target Lexus.

If this happens I think Acura might be in trouble no matter how good looking this new car is...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:37 pm »
Lexus is lowering prices and Acura is raising them?  Someone at Honda is on drugs.  With an IS250 AWD now barely more than the TSX, the existing TSX is looking pretty pricey...

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:23 pm »

Lets hope you are wrong cause there is No way someone would pay amost 45K for a TSX type S.  My big problem is that I think you might be right about the pricing becuase everytime I talk to one of theses Acura dealers they say that the price of the new TSX is going up 10K and they are going to target Lexus.

If this happens I think Acura might be in trouble no matter how good looking this new car is...

Well if Acura follows it's current product structure, ALL Type-S models get Navi as standard equipment.
The 2008 TSX with Navi is already at $39K, when you add in a factory turbo ($2000) and SH-AWD ($3000), you are at $44K.

Unless Acura reduces pricing of its entire line up, the above pricing should be expected.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:56:29 pm »
Love the size and the design work but I wish they made a economical version of the car.  I guess it wouldn't make market sense but I think this would be the perfect sized vehicle for me.  Love the looks as well...

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 02:29:52 am »

Naw, that's a MkV R32, not a MkIV Jetta.  If you're not familiar, the R32 is to the Golf/Rabbit family what the STI is to the Impreza family.  It's yet another step up from the GTI.  The R32 has a 3.2L narrow-angle V6, all-wheel-drive, and a features package that looks like an Acura...premium sound, heated leather sport seats, sunroof, etc come standard, along with a healthy dose of refinement.  Basically, think of it as an Audi TT 3.2 masquerading as a Rabbit.

Europe has it best--a choice of three-door and five-door R32s, with a choice of six-speed manual or DSG.  The US gets the three-door R32 with DSG as the only choice...but it's hard to argue with the sticker price of US $33,000, fully loaded.  Canada gets shafted and doesn't get the R32 at all.

Oh yeah...and it sounds AMAZING.  Here's Top Gear's comparison of the GTI and R32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtTuBTJYSc&feature=related

And Fifth Gear's comparison of the BMW 130i hatch and the R32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hd_LSwkZc

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 07:39:08 am »
Lexus is lowering prices and Acura is raising them?  Someone at Honda is on drugs.  With an IS250 AWD now barely more than the TSX, the existing TSX is looking pretty pricey...

I'm thinking the same thing.  Honda hasn't budged on their pricing at all.  You can pick up a TL for around the 40K mark + taxes.... Someone over their needs to be poked or pinched so they wake up.   ??? :stick:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:08:04 pm »

Naw, that's a MkV R32, not a MkIV Jetta.  If you're not familiar, the R32 is to the Golf/Rabbit family what the STI is to the Impreza family.  It's yet another step up from the GTI.  The R32 has a 3.2L narrow-angle V6, all-wheel-drive, and a features package that looks like an Acura...premium sound, heated leather sport seats, sunroof, etc come standard, along with a healthy dose of refinement.  Basically, think of it as an Audi TT 3.2 masquerading as a Rabbit.

Europe has it best--a choice of three-door and five-door R32s, with a choice of six-speed manual or DSG.  The US gets the three-door R32 with DSG as the only choice...but it's hard to argue with the sticker price of US $33,000, fully loaded.  Canada gets shafted and doesn't get the R32 at all.

Oh yeah...and it sounds AMAZING.  Here's Top Gear's comparison of the GTI and R32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtTuBTJYSc&feature=related

And Fifth Gear's comparison of the BMW 130i hatch and the R32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hd_LSwkZc

Hmmm..... me like those R32s!  :)