Author Topic: Challenger SRT-8 officially unveiled  (Read 9325 times)

Cortina

Re: Challenger SRT-8 officially unveiled
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 01:39:17 am »
2008 Dodge Challenger

First Drive: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124470

I love the looks. :-*

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
77 Klm's per hour is not that fast and definitely is City driving speeds for sure but the constant highway speeds of say 120 to 130 Klms perhour should give better milage I would suspect as the gear ratio will be in the lowest ratio at the top end which quite often is a overdrive. With the engine virtually loafing along in the lower RPM's I would think they would do better milage then what has been posted by the Gov. I have never witnessed lower RPM's bring you higher fuel milage ever.  :)

That was my point 77 kph is too slow to make it realistic on the highway. Can't see it getting 37 miles per gallon at "normal "highway speeds.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »
77 Klm's per hour is not that fast and definitely is City driving speeds for sure but the constant highway speeds of say 120 to 130 Klms perhour should give better milage I would suspect as the gear ratio will be in the lowest ratio at the top end which quite often is a overdrive. With the engine virtually loafing along in the lower RPM's I would think they would do better milage then what has been posted by the Gov. I have never witnessed lower RPM's bring you higher fuel milage ever.  :)

Nope.  Fuel economy is concave down.  You'll see your best economy at speed, when the engine is working at a minimum to provide continuous movement, but before the air resistance becomes so great that it impedes forward movement.  Generally, you'll get better economy at 100kph than 130, after that minimum point gas consumption begins to creep back up...

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 08:08:05 pm »
I like it.  They did a great job capturing the original spirit of the first Challenger

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 08:58:44 pm »
I like it.  They did a great job capturing the original spirit of the first Challenger

:iagree:

dorin

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »

No they didn't.  They also did a completely crap job of being faithful to the concept which was way better looking.  The production car is too slab-sided and the details have been messed up.  It's a crap concept-to-market execution.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Mitlov

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »
No they didn't.  They also did a completely crap job of being faithful to the concept which was way better looking.  The production car is too slab-sided and the details have been messed up.  It's a crap concept-to-market execution.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

But if it WAS just like the concept, you'd still condemn it for being a heavy, large, gas-guzzling dinosaur, right?  I don't understand why you're indignant that they deviated from the concept when the concept is also the type of car that gets you into a tizzy...

dorin

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 11:05:26 pm »

But if it WAS just like the concept, you'd still condemn it for being a heavy, large, gas-guzzling dinosaur, right?  I don't understand why you're indignant that they deviated from the concept when the concept is also the type of car that gets you into a tizzy...

Sure, a 4000 lbs. 2-door car is the type of car that's just dumb in my books.  However the concept was at least a good-looking unnecessary car.  The actual car is dumb and ugly. 

I figured that since you had done such a good job summarizing my opinion on the unnecessary/dumb aspect I'd focus my criticism on the ugly part.

Mitlov

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »
For what it's worth, I think it's much, much better looking than the concept.  In my opinion, the production version looks muscular, whereas the concept looked bloated:

Concept:

Production:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 12:01:17 am »
Christ, they look pretty much identical. Would someone be kind enough to point out the dramatic differences that make one more attractive/uglier than the other?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:59 am »
Christ, they look pretty much identical. Would someone be kind enough to point out the dramatic differences that make one more attractive/uglier than the other?

I think the grill is a little different

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 10:27:17 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one...  I see no difference other than the grill.  Both are beautiful looking.  :)

I'm not sure why you're upset it doesn't look the same as the original, dorin...  it's a modern interpretation of a classic, expecting it to look exactly the same as it used it just silly...

Mitlov

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:13 am »

The curve over the rear wheel is more pronounced, and overall, the bodywork is redone slightly to reduce the visual height of the vehicle (measuring from the bottom of the body up to the beltline--that dimension is too long on the concept).  On the other hand, ride height is significantly higher on the production model...but I never thought that a slammed muscle car looked right anyway.  That alone makes it look bulkier.  The classics had high ride heights too.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 11:06:25 am »
The curve over the rear wheel is more pronounced, and overall, the bodywork is redone slightly to reduce the visual height of the vehicle (measuring from the bottom of the body up to the beltline--that dimension is too long on the concept).  On the other hand, ride height is significantly higher on the production model...but I never thought that a slammed muscle car looked right anyway.  That alone makes it look bulkier.  The classics had high ride heights too.

I guess it's possible. I'd have to see some measurements before I'd make any pronouncements however. IMO, any differences in those two pics could be attributed to varying varying camera angle and lens focal length.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 02:20:40 pm »
They moved the turn signal too  :o   :rofl2:

Looks very similar to me, ride height does look a little higher but you could always lower it with some springs.

Marc_

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »
With retro styling like this, I am curious to see how they do the 'generational' changes as this car ages.  Will this be a limited production car?

It reminds me of the PT cruiser, when it first came out it was (in my opinion) a great looking 'retro' car, but never did change much from the original design.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 04:18:52 pm »
They moved the turn signal too  :o   :rofl2:

Looks very similar to me, ride height does look a little higher but you could always lower it with some springs.

Where are the front signal lights ???
I wonder, does it have red rear signal lights :o

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 06:37:53 pm »
I guess they are just the parking lights on the side.

dorin

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »

The main difference is called tumblehome, or lack thereof in the production model.  Furthermore, in addition to being slab-sided, the production model has just messed up all the details: the kink by the rear wheel is too sharp, the leading edge of the hood is too thick, the rear lights are horrible, and the overall stance went from aggressive to middle-aged mobile.  I'm surprised that people didn't notice it.  As soon as I first saw the production model I though it just looked wrong. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008, 10:51:45 pm »

The main difference is called tumblehome, or lack thereof in the production model.  Furthermore, in addition to being slab-sided, the production model has just messed up all the details: the kink by the rear wheel is too sharp, the leading edge of the hood is too thick, the rear lights are horrible, and the overall stance went from aggressive to middle-aged mobile.  I'm surprised that people didn't notice it.  As soon as I first saw the production model I though it just looked wrong. 

So would you call the new beetle or new mini wrong as well ?To me the challenger is just
a modern version of the original like the previously mentioned cars.